Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo

Dog the Bounty hunter....

I was just channel chasing and ran across his show, it showed him in Texas visiting the prison that he served time in ...

Here is my question

1# Chapman was wearing his bountyhunter badge that he wears in his TV show...

I thought is was against the Law(felony) in the state Of Texas for a bounty hunter to display "ANYTHING" that even resembles a link to law enforcement...
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=197722498

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It was probably allowed just because it was a "tv show."
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    TXCharlie this ones right up your alley

Deputy2400 is offline Professional Rights Advisor
    The only thing I know for sure is that "You dont mess with Texas!!!"
    If you run from me...you'll just go to jail tired!

cashton is offline Officer First Class
    A local bounty hunter here in WV was chasing a jumper in TX and ran in to a cop and was asking the cop for some info on possible where abouts of the guy they were looking for. Well, the cop during the conversation asked the bounty hunter if he had any guns with him. It from my understanding was kinda like asking in a way that would make you think, oh, he wants to see my guns because we are same team and he is a gun person and wants to check out my arsenal. So the bounty hunter was like, oh yeah, we have a trunk full. So he pops the trunk and there is a number of handguns, couple shotguns and an AR15. Cop says thanks, I'll take those. HAve a nice day and see you later. Never got them back either. It was great cause the bounty hunter is a crooked dirt bag POS so it served him right.

Steve in PA is offline Banned
    So the guns were taken "just because" or was there some law that was broken?

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Wondering the same thing.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/psb/con...ty_hunter.aspx

Looks like you have to have full peace officer powers to be a bounty hunter in Texas.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/psb/con...ty_hunter.aspx

Looks like you have to have full peace officer powers to be a bounty hunter in Texas.
    I don't know a lot about bounty hunters because I've only taken a brief course on it.

But no... like the link says, Bounty hunters CAN be cops, but are usually PI's or Commissioned Security Officers in Texas.

In Texas, Bounty hunters don't have any powers more than normal citizens really, except that they can exercise arrest powers against the person that they're hunting and enter his house, because that person has signed a document giving the bail bondsman permission to do all that, and the Bounty Hunter is just the Bondsman's represenative.

They still don't have other police powers like detainment and they can't arrest other people on warrant, just the ones that the bond company hired them to arrest. Of course they can arrest on Citizens' Arrest if they see a felony, theft, or crime against the peace like any other citizen can do, but that's all.

They can wear a badge, but it can't say certain things, as the link you gave points out. Any LEO reference like Agent, Sheriff, and Police on the badges or shirts are the BIG no-no's. And it can't say "Bail Agent" like the Dog, because they're not bail enforcement agents in Texas, they're actually called Bounty Hunters. But Dog probably wasn't on duty and isn't licensed in Texas, so it probably doesn't matter what he wears as long as it doesn't reference any type of police.

It's very simple to meet the training requirements of either PI's or Commissioned (armed) security guards. For example the Level III Armed Security Officer course I took was only like 3 days long. It's essentially the same as a one-day CHL course but in more detail, and the shooting test is almost identical. The gun range I used also put us through some shoot/don't shoot drills and basic tactics.

If they're PI's, working as Bounty Hunters they can carry their guns concealed under their CHL while on duty I believe, unlike a commissioned (armed) security guard, who cannot carry a concealed gun while in uniform (how dumb is that?), and I think he must wear his uniform even working as a Bounty Hunter (not 100% sure about that, but normally they must).

Most Bounty hunters don't like to wear uniforms or badges, because it shouts "police" whether it's really the police or not, so it's hard to just talk to people, and they stick out when they need to be invisible.

As a result most Bounty Hunters wear street clothes and seem to be PI's, but that means that the bondsman, PI himself, or the agency they contract to must have a private investigator management company license.

I think you can only get a management company license if you've done a 4year gig as a PI, or you're a cop, or you have a 4year Criminal Justice degree - Which is the only use of the 4-year Criminal Justice degree I've found so far. But that only allows you to contract with a licensed bondsman to pick up one of his customers. You can't just go out and arrest any other fugatives, just the ones the bondsman gives you permission to pick up.

A lot of bounty hunters would rather wear suits with no badges or anything, because that way their jacket allows them to carry concealed guns that are readily accessible

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

cashton is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    So the guns were taken "just because" or was there some law that was broken?
    They did something wrong I am sure. These guys have a tendency to pass them selves off as police as much as possible. They were walking a VERY fine line here. Just a bunch of wannabes. So they probably acted like that in TX and got themselves in some hot water.

Yeah maybe being from out of state he broke some TX rule

(\__/)

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by cashton View Post
    They did something wrong I am sure. These guys have a tendency to pass them selves off as police as much as possible. They were walking a VERY fine line here. Just a bunch of wannabes. So they probably acted like that in TX and got themselves in some hot water.
    I'd just qualify your comment...

MANY bounty hunters/bail agents are cowboy cop wannabes who couldn't handle the rules of being the real police. Many are poorly trained, and even less prepared, and create more problems than they solve...

But lots are professionals, who do the bail enforcement gig along with other PI work, and are sensible and professional in how they work.

In my personal experience... out of three times I dealt with them, one group was professional. Dressed neatly (jersey, khaki or 5.11 pants as I recall), and they flagged me down to alert me that they were in the area, and provided their ID and licenses before I asked. The others? One caused a stand off in a fleabag motel. And the other wanted me to take a gal into custody because they said so... No paper in hand, nothing on file, and we were even kind enough to call the court that had supposedly revoked the bail and they didn't know anything about it, either! (Last I saw, those guys were still pouting in their car... any cop wanna guess what they were driving?)

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It was great cause the bounty hunter is a crooked dirt bag POS so it served him right.
    That's no way to talk about the" Dog "
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    That's no way to talk about the" Dog "
    I don't believe he was talking about Dog.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    ... any cop wanna guess what they were driving?)

I'll take stupid people who drive retired Police Cars for 1000 Alex...
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    any cop wanna guess what they were driving?)
    I'm gonna guess a Caprice or a Crown Vic.

Quote Originally Posted by cashton
    These guys have a tendency to pass them selves off as police as much as possible. They were walking a VERY fine line here. Just a bunch of wannabes. So they probably acted like that in TX and got themselves in some hot water.
    I would assume you're talking about your local bounty hunters. I've met some bounty hunters that are legitimate, honest to goodness bounty hunters, who have no interest in being wannabe's or cops.

We also have at least one bail enforcement agent, or bounty hunter, or whatever, here at LEF.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    We also have at least one bail enforcement agent, or bounty hunter, or whatever, here at LEF.
    Yes, AgentParsons - It's been a while since he's been on, but he always seemed like a straight-up guy to me - There's a place for them in the system just like there's a place for security guards, police and PI's. If you eliminated all the Bounty Hunters, what that would do is make all the bail bondsmen go out of business, so a lot of people would languish in jails awaiting trial because they don't have $10,000 cash - Who does.

Which means that their Constitutional right to a speedy trial and unreasonable bail would be violated, and the Supreme Court would REALESE them and probably drop the charges as soon as someone took them a case like that.

With Bounty Hunters, people can get reasonable bail, and the skippers are brought back to justice at the same time. As for a speedy trial... Well we'll NEVER have that, but at least no one has to languish in jail for a year waiting for their case to come to trial, if they have any assets at all to put up for collateral to the bondsman.

As for the murders and rapists that get bail and run to Mexico, I don't think judges have any business granting bail to those people if it's shown in a hearing that the evidence is overwhelming - But bail hearings aeem to be a SHAM, at least the one or two that I've seen. Evidence was not even brought up. How can a judge make a decision like how much bail to set without having SOME idea if there's enough evidence to convict them or not??? He should ask about the evidence whether the attorneys bring it up or not, seems to me... And even if the CCP doesn't say he has to.

(\__/)

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Here in Florida, certified law enforcement officers are not allowed to be bounty hunters. Too bad, theres some good money to be made doing that if you hook up with the right bondsman. I worked for about a year as one before I went to the academy and got hired here. But with that said, I dont care much for dog. He is too much of a showboat.

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    A local bounty hunter here in WV was chasing a jumper in TX and ran in to a cop and was asking the cop for some info on possible where abouts of the guy they were looking for. Well, the cop during the conversation asked the bounty hunter if he had any guns with him. It from my understanding was kinda like asking in a way that would make you think, oh, he wants to see my guns because we are same team and he is a gun person and wants to check out my arsenal. So the bounty hunter was like, oh yeah, we have a trunk full. So he pops the trunk and there is a number of handguns, couple shotguns and an AR15. Cop says thanks, I'll take those. HAve a nice day and see you later. Never got them back either. It was great cause the bounty hunter is a crooked dirt bag POS so it served him right.
    Why were the guns taken? What charges were filed. Im calling BS on this because it is not against the law to carry firearms in your trunk in Texas.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    it is not against the law to carry firearms in your trunk in Texas.
    Or even in the cab of the car as long as they aren't in open view - Especially rifles, which aren't really regulated at all. The pistols are only a slightly bigger problem without a CHL, but not much of a problem due to the new traveling laws, as long as the pistols STAY in the car (doesn't really matter about the rifles, as long as they're bagged). Doesn't even matter if they're loaded or not.

I think he musta done something else wrong related to the bounty hunting rules, improperly displaying or carrying the weapons, etc - or else has the basis of a good lawsuit.

For example, if he was standing OUTSIDE the car and had a pistol on him without a CHL that's recognized in Texas, that's a violation which I'm sure could trigger all his weapons being confiscated.

It's also a violation if the cop asked for ID and the Bounty Hunter didn't volunteraly show any CHL cards he had, since he was armed. There's several subtle rules that he could have violated.

(\__/)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information