Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Backup ETA

PCSD722 is offline Rookie

Backup ETA

You get out on a call, traffic stop or any reason and end up in a fight, how far away is your backup, how long are you on your own before another officer arrives on-scene?

In the county I am in backup could be as far off as 35-40 minutes "if" another officer is working.

We were hanging out and talking and just thought it would be interesting to find out how long it takes in other departments.
    Stay safe, let's all go home.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    C/O's make traffic stops? That's a seriously huge jail!

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

jato is offline Deputy Sheriff
    0 to 45 minutes.

It took me 45 minutes to get to my partner one night. He fought some guy and called for Code 3 cover. Fortunately, I was the one in the boonies and he was closer to our neighboring station. The deputies from the other station got there in 15 or 20 minutes.

In 10 minutes (5?, 4?, 3?, 1? minutes) the fight, gun battle, etc. is going to be over with one way or another. I tell my trainees they may have to take care of business on their own. I also tell them not to bite off more than they can chew (metaphorically speaking).

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If we are all in the same zone, maybe 5 mins tops. We have two zones locally where it could easily be 20 mins or better.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

countybear,

No longer a C/O here, I moved to Home Incarceration so I get my share of calls to respond to, just included the traffic stops as an example which I probably did not need to..probably asking "how far off is your back-up" would have been enough lol. I ramble sometimes...darn, gonna stop now before I ramble.

and it always helps if the officer tells dispatch where he is before he gets out of the car.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PCSD722 View Post
    countybear,

No longer a C/O here, I moved to Home Incarceration so I get my share of calls to respond to, just included the traffic stops as an example which I probably did not need to..probably asking "how far off is your back-up" would have been enough lol. I ramble sometimes...darn, gonna stop now before I ramble.
    You need to go through the verification process again, bud. Re-send all of your new information to 121traffic.

To answer your question, it depends on the the day and hour. Sometimes within five minutes. Other times, 15-60 minutes. Small town and small county. I have had calls where the next county over shows up as back-up.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PCSD722 View Post
    countybear,

No worries. I just had to take advantage.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    7-15 minutes on a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    No worries. I just had to take advantage.

After working for politicians for 23 years I fully expect someone to take advantage LOL

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    A minute or two, 4-5 min max if we are stretched out for some reason.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

LawnMM is offline Oppressor of Crackheads
    I love my district. I push the button and somebody will be there in probably 60 seconds or less. Go forward another minute, two minutes, three minutes and I'll have between 8-20 cars clogging up the block with flashing lights and cops jumping out salivating at the chance to get a piece of why the button was pushed.

Its good to work in the big city =)

cashton is offline Officer First Class
    Up to 60 minutes or sometimes never. I work a 645 sq mile county with 1 or on a great night, 2 other officers, sometimes by myself.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    C/O's make traffic stops? That's a seriously huge jail!

We don't do traffic stops but we do have back up calls. Most of our back ups are hands on without any weapons at our disposal until back up arrives, which can be the longest 2-3 minutes of your life. Remember Redman???

deputy29 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Depending on what part of the county your working and where your at in your area anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes. Backup could be another deputy, state trooper, state fish and game or a small city officer.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Less than 5

Typically 30 seconds to 1 minute.

On my shift (nights) we send two cars to every call. Whether it be a gun call, or barking dog, we send a minimum of two cars (single man cars)

I'd say 50 percent of the time, we arrive at a call at the same time our backup does. We're rarely alone on calls.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    On a good night: 30 seconds or less

On a bad night: 2 minutes or so

In the worst case: 5 minutes

We stack the shit pretty deep around here sometimes, but it is nice to know that help is close. When we need 'em to "step it up" you can literally hear the sirens come on all around you... My district alone has 24 cars working for a few hours each evening, and never less than 12 cars... This is for an area of maybe 5 miles long by 4 miles wide (roughly)... Plus, when an officer is calling for help, we'll also draw in officers from one of three different nearby districts, and occasionally Aurora.

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by LawnMM View Post
    I love my district. I push the button and somebody will be there in probably 60 seconds or less. Go forward another minute, two minutes, three minutes and I'll have between 8-20 cars clogging up the block with flashing lights and cops jumping out salivating at the chance to get a piece of why the button was pushed.

Its good to work in the big city =)
    +1
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    From as little as 5 minutes, although that's along time if your're hands on, to as long as 30 minutes.

On a slightly different note, you can always tell a city cop from a rural one.
    The city cop is very quick to go hands on whereas the rural cop will spend much longer talking his offender into the cuffs.
    It is something which I have noticed over the years and is clearly born out of knowing how long you have to wait for backup.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradocop View Post
    On a good night: 30 seconds or less

On a bad night: 2 minutes or so

In the worst case: 5 minutes
    that's about how we are. we're not that big of a city (about 60-70K) and we don't have that many officers working (as little as 4, as many as 15 on a weekend shift overlap), but our city is small in area and we all look out for one another pretty good...if i'm on a stop for more than about 5 minutes, it's not unusual to see another car either cruise by and see how i am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information