Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Twenty hours per month sounds very reasonable to me!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    IMO, you can rid yourself of those types of reserves by enstating a requirement of FULL POST certification (i.e. no "reserve" academies, unless they are the same amount of hours spread over a longer period. No "abbreviated" academies). To become a reserve at my current PD, I had to first shell out over $4000 to get my cert. That's a lot of money to invest into a petty cops and robbers fantasy. I reserved for 8 months, putting in over 100 hours a month, before getting hired full time. I like the feeling that no one can ever tell me I did it just to have a badge and a gun. I ran myself ragged, because I was young and single and had the endurance to do it on top of a full time job. There was one guy there whowas certified because he use to be full time before getting a high paid job. He then became a reserve in order to keep his cert. He and I got into it one day (we were both competing for a FT slot...he wanted back in after getting laid off) and he said "Dude, who the hell can compete when you spend so much of your time here? Why don't you get a second job and stop making the rest of us look bad." I just said "I do have one. Just because it doesn't pay anything, doesn't mean it's not my job. Why don't YOU stop whining and and making the rest of US look bad, pussy?" He didn't really have an answer. So yeah, you'll still have those types, just not as many.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    I am not looking forward to our reserves. They will have full powers after 24 hours worth of training but yet we spend over 1 year in training. They are allowed work within their own communities but we cant work within 20 miles of our own home or immediate family (upto cousins) so thats advantage number 2 for them. They cannot be held accountable under the Garda bill as they are not sworn Gardai but reserves which means they are less trained, less vetted, less worked but have more convenience, less responsibility but more power.

cannot wait for this shit storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

Y'all would like Texas then... Reserves in Texas go through the same academy training as career police officers and must have the same certifications. There used to be a difference, but not any more.

The only thing lacking perhaps is extra training that the reserves may not be invited to attend due to cost.

(\__/)

Billiardnut is offline Attack Pug Dog Handler
    Y'all would like Texas then... Reserves in Texas go through the same academy training as career police officers and must have the same certifications.
    No matter if you are a reserve or full time, everybody in Missouri is required to maintain a set amount of training to keep their LEO certification.

Department wise - Our reserves are required to meet the same training requirements as the full time guys. Only difference between our reserves and full time guys is the reserves have a real job that pays them much better then a PD so why should they quit and become a full time cop and make less money.
    Member of the Pervert Patrol - making sure the pervs are tracked and up-to-date.
    National Sex Offender Public Registry
    www.nsopr.gov

FishTail Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Garda30055A
    I am not looking forward to our reserves. They will have full powers after 24 hours worth of training but yet we spend over 1 year in training. They are allowed work within their own communities but we cant work within 20 miles of our own home or immediate family (upto cousins) so thats advantage number 2 for them. They cannot be held accountable under the Garda bill as they are not sworn Gardai but reserves which means they are less trained, less vetted, less worked but have more convenience, less responsibility but more power.

cannot wait for this shit storm.
    Oh, Jesus man...the stories I could tell you about our reserves...yours and ours sound very similar.

One useless one had a guy stood in front of her smoking a cannabis cigarette and laughing at her...her response was to call up on the radio saying "what do I do?"

Another one was out with me and I got into a fight locking up a drunk guy. The useless reserve just stood there wondering what I was doing while I was fighting the guy.

What do you expect with no entry standards and 50 hrs training? And yet they have identical powers...

That sounds kinda messed up - Only one week's training, really?

Oh yeah, I forgot. They can skip the firearms training, can't they?

They'd be very advised to go get some Judo or Karate clases on their own, I assume.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 02-16-06 at 11:12 PM.

(\__/)

FishTail Guest
    They'd be very advised to go get some Judo or Karate clases on their own, I assume.
    No, that's outside of policy.

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    That sounds kinda messed up - Only one week's training, really?

Oh yeah, I forgot. They can skip the firearms training, can't they?

We dont get firearms training in basic training anyway but these guys can have additional personal training if they want.

I didnt even think of self defence/restraint training. Wonder how much of that their gonna get.
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    No, that's outside of policy.
    Using Judo or Karate against an attacker would be forbidden?

(\__/)

Magnum440 is offline Older Than Dirt
    Verified LEO
    I have been off the streets for a number of years, but I am with Terminator. Our department, at the time, figured 1 per 1,000. Good grief, I see some of the numbers in the posts, and it gives goose bumps on the old spine. If someone needs assistance, and fast, seconds can be minutes in terms of what can happen.
    Facta non verba
    "The good Lord set definite limits on man's wisdom, but set no limits on his stupidity and that's not fair!" Konrad Adenauer,

I agree - The old adage that you get what you pay for applies here I think.

It all boils down to how many tax dollars a life is worth, seems to me - I don't know how else to put it.

(\__/)

FishTail Guest
    Using Judo or Karate against an attacker would be forbidden?
    No. No force will recommend that it's officers are trained in anything but the approved techniques. Using non-approved techniques is a liability. They're legal to use but against policy.

A well-deserved butt kicking should never be against policy

(\__/)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information