Welcome to the APBWeb.
    101matt1 is offline Master Officer

Some questions for regular LEOs as well as SWAT...

Alright guys. First, I've got to say that you have an excellent forum going on here. Looks great. I'm very interested in going with a career in law enforcement. I had a few questions for some LEOs:

-Let's say that I was to go to a Police Academy somewhere. Then, lets say something comes up, and I quit with whatever current department I am with. Would I still be considered a LEO (tecnically or mentally).
    -A question for SWAT officers: How do the majority of departments get their gear? Do they give officers a certain amount of money and tell them to buy whatever? Do they give them a certain list of standards to go by when they make purchaces? Or do the majority of deparments supply their tactical team's gear?

Thanks ahead of time. These are a few things I've been wanting to know for a while.

LawnMM is offline Oppressor of Crackheads
    I'd say that if you quit in the true sense of the word then no, you would not be considered an LEO technically or otherwise. If you are forced to retire due to injury or some other extraordinary circumstance I would say yes. The difference being in the mental state. The cops I know have no intentions of ever quitting. You hear the phrase "its not a job, its a calling" thrown around a lot. Well thats true. Everybody has their own issues with the job from time to time but no cop I know would trade it for anything else in the world. If you quit, then I'd say you never really had it in you.

I don't know much about SWAT as I didn't join a tactical team right out of the academy. I didn't go to plainclothes detective either after graduation either, can you believe it?

Ah, I see. Thanks. Explain to me a little about the whole academy thing. Do you go to an academy and then search for a department or what?

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    In your state, most of the time you must be hired by an agency, then go to the academy. An exception to this is MDCC Training Academy in Moorhead, MS. They will allow you to complete training there, then look for a job. The cost is about $2700.00 for the 10 week course.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    dont forget the intro yourself.

in my state you have to complete college the academy and the state test before you can get on with any PD in the state

So either way, if you want to be in LE, then you'll have to go to a academy for the state that you want to work for? Be it, before joining a certain department, or after?

(I already posted a intro)

Are there any nation-wide associations or standards for SWAT units? I know that there is a physical standard for SWAT, but I think it may vary from state to state..

If anyone DOES know a SWAT officer on these forums, or knows one in real life well enough to ask questions about gear, please let me know. Thanks.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 101matt1 View Post
    If anyone DOES know a SWAT officer on these forums, or knows one in real life well enough to ask questions about gear, please let me know. Thanks.

I'm not swat, but in a specialized unit like that you'll find that the department issues all of the gear. Uniform allowances aren't uncommon in Police Departments, but something like swat would most likely be provided by the department.

On a sidenote, you have to be a Police Officer for some time before you go into other units. Divisions like SWAT, K9, Detectives, Etc are all "regular" LEO's.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Here you have to be hired and sent to the academy by the agency......all of the swat officers I know and when I was on a tac team all the gear was provided by the department. It is a large liability issue if you let gets get their own.

airlock is offline SWAT Operator
    I am a SWAT operator, and from my experience, both part time and full time teams, have their tactical gear and uniforms provided for them by their agency.

Every operator brings their own small personal items like mini tac lights or personal knives, but the major gear (vest carrier, plates, long gun, uniform, helmet, etc.) is suppied.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Airlock, send me a PM with your LEO information so we can get you verified per TOS. Thanks.

Matt, SWAT is something that the government is trying to standardize training on, but it is only by suggestion. Each department of course does things a little bit differently. If I was you, for now, I would focus on one step at a time. Keep your head on right and make the grades in school, then get your college in, then hit the academy. Keep focused like you are, you will have time to think about SWAT when the time is right. A lot of life ahead of you first, though.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Thanks for all of the info guys. And conalabu, I understand. These are just a few odds and ends that I've always wondered about SWAT officers, like who issues their gear. I now see that the department usually does. I know, I've got a long way to go before I really start thinking about this stuff, but once again, just some questions I've always been curious about. Thanks again for all of the help. Sorry if I seem to be getting ahead of myself...

ok the qouestion about quiting the department after the academy, will you still be an leo. okay technically you would not. mentally;if you love it enough to go to another department. me myself personally love this job so much that if i get out doing this work for a month i would be lost.

slick628 is offline Rollin' Deep
    Verified LEO
    So either way, if you want to be in LE, then you'll have to go to a academy for the state that you want to work for? Be it, before joining a certain department, or after?
    Not to bust your chops, but I have a question out of curiosity: Do you really intend to become a LEO? Is it that you are in high school and thinking about future career choices? You seem unsure about if this is the job for you. A simple bit of adivce...go to some community meetings, open houses, and do a ride along. I only mention this because it appears that you are thinking in the back of your head "that sounds kind of cool..." but you are not committed to it yet.
    "That's how we roll"

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    you don't have to be a SWAT fairy to enjoy this job....
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

JSO85360 is offline Coming soon through a door near you!
    Verified LEO
    I don't quite understand the question about going to the academy then quitting and still being a police officer. In N FL, there are many different academy's, with many differences, but all must meet the state requirements. After the academy, you must take a FDLE state certification test before you are officially able to assume the position of full time LEO. Then you must work for a department within a year of certification to keep it current. Until you have finished the academy, gotten state certified, and are employed by a department, you are not a police officer. And if you did meet all these requirements, quitting would not even enter your mind. As far as SWAT goes, you have a long way to go before you need to think about doing that. A year probation after being with an FTO officer(s) for the first few months on the street.

I personally do not approve of 18-21 year old police officers. (I don't know how old you are, so I'm not bashing you, just giving my POV) High school is great, and college is better, but nothing quite takes the place of life experience. Military experience is a tremendous addition to getting ready to qualify as a LEO, as most departments of any size are structured more or less like the military.

I just think of that article about the 19 year old Deputy Sheriff, part time Police Officer, SWAT team memeber that just shot his girlfriend and a bunch of her friends because they broke up. Killed them with his SWAT issued rifle. This was a tradgedy all the way around. I think the states should re-evaluate their requirements. A 4 year college degreee doesn't mean a damn thing when it comes to internal fortitude, knowing the difference between right and wrong, and having the good sound judgment to make those "right" decisions. You need to be in the right emotional state of mind to deal with everything a police officer deals with on a day to day basis, and also balance your personal life with all its trials and tribulations.

I guess this might have been more than my $.02 worth, but I felt I needed to express myself.

No offense to anyone out there that might be young and in LEO, as it's a young mans world. You are the force of tomorrow, as us old guys (50+), are soon to be thinking of fishing and hunting and just enjoying our families. Stay Safe. Always.

scribz718 is offline Rookie
    Biggest thing about the whole age factor is, fresh out of college, people are looking for careers. Typically, once you find an industry, you become stuck in it. It's not uncommon to change careers paths but it isnt common either.

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    Alright guys. First, I've got to say that you have an excellent forum going on here. Looks great. I'm very interested in going with a career in law enforcement. I had a few questions for some LEOs:
    Thank you for the comment on our site. We work hard to provide the Best LEO web site on the net.

-A question for SWAT officers: How do the majority of departments get their gear? Do they give officers a certain amount of money and tell them to buy whatever? Do they give them a certain list of standards to go by when they make purchaces? Or do the majority of deparments supply their tactical team's gear?

Thanks ahead of time. These are a few things I've been wanting to know for a while.
    A lot of our gear was purchased with homeland security money, some gear was purchased with grants, and some gear was purchased with department money. Our department does give uniform allowance to the officers but all the the gear we get for SRT is provided by the dept. Our uniform allowance is used more for our everyday uniforms, and equipment.

Thread Information