Welcome to the APBWeb.
    The Lostralian is offline Fighting the battle

A question for class.

One of the classes I'm taking in Criminal Justice right now is a law class.

A question came up for an assignment that we are currently working on, in order to answer it I need as many views or answers from current LEO's if it's possible, thank you.

The question;

If it is true that police stops more minorities than caucasians and request consent searches from minorities more often than caucasians, what are the reasons for these practices?
    Future Detective of The S.P.D
    Pride Integrity Gratitude

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I certainly don't find that to be true in my part of the country. I don't stop any person, regardless of their race or color. I stop people who have given me a reason to stop them. If they are Black, Hispanic, Armenian, Hungarian, Danish or whatever, I couldn't care less. The same is true with consent searches.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lostralian View Post

A question came up for an assignment that we are currently working on, in order to answer it I need as many views or answers from current LEO's if it's possible, thank you.

The question;

If it is true that police stops more minorities than caucasians and request consent searches from minorities more often than caucasians, what are the reasons for these practices?
    It's not true. And falling into the trap of answering that has jammed up entire agencies.

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    My reply is this: If you believe that an officer can positively identify the driver/occupants of a vehicle race through tinted windows at two o'clock in the morning when that vehicle is speeding five hundred feet ahead of the officer then you are sorely mistaken! Go to this GOOGLE page and read the various topics related to your question. The information is from a varied number of law enforcement agencies.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...s+vs+caucasian
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That would be racial profiling, which is not only illegal but immoral. Criminal profiling is a different story but does not apply to the question the way it has been stated to you.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

IM GOING TO BE HONEST WITH YOU I AM NOT GOING TO BEAT AROUND THE BUSH WITH YOU. IN SOME AREAS YES IT SEEMS TO HAPPEN. BUT IN MOST AREAS DEPARTMENTS HAVE STRONG POLICIES TO PREVENT IT. JUST LIKE LEWISIPSO STATES IT IS RACIAL PROFILING. IN MY PARISH IT IS NOT TOLERATED. IS IT DONE; YOU HAVE TO HAVE STRONG EVIDENCE TO PROVE IT. DO I THINK IT IS DONE; NO. I WORK AND HAVE WORK FOR SOME OF THE BEST ADMNISTRATION POLICY WISE AND I DO NOT THINK THEY WOULD ALLOW SUCH THING TO HAPPEN. OKAY BUT IN SOME AREAS YOU MIGHT FIND A BLACK NEIGHBORHOOD TO BE MORE OF A HIGH CRIME AREA THAN A WHITE NEIGHBORHOOD.U MIGHT SEE THE COPS MAKE A LITTLE MORE PASSES IN THAT HIGH CRIME AREA. I REALLY HOPE WE ALL HAVE ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION A LITTLE.

Tony is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    I certainly don't find that to be true in my part of the country. I don't stop any person, regardless of their race or color. I stop people who have given me a reason to stop them. If they are Black, Hispanic, Armenian, Hungarian, Danish or whatever, I couldn't care less. The same is true with consent searches.
    Ditto.

Bear365 is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lostralian View Post

The question;

This is a loaded question. Personally if you ask me this question then the answer is yes I do. Why? Because I work in a black area. There are many good people there who I would never have the reason to ask for a consent search. However when I do feel the need to ask for a consent search weather it be resonalble suspicion or just a gut feeling, it has nothing to do with the race of the occupants in the car.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    That would be racial profiling, which is not only illegal but immoral. Criminal profiling is a different story but does not apply to the question the way it has been stated to you.

My thoughts exactly.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I hope my answer was not short to you. Maybe I can elaborate my view a little. Although it still won't apply to the question as it was given to you.
    In my area it is extremely close to a 50-50 split as to black and white. In that case you stand half a chance of stopping a black or white person. I have performed traffic stops on "G-rides" belonging to white persons and pick up trucks pulling horse trailers belonging black persons. Stereotypical beliefs should be avoided. Being a minority should have no bearing on contact with that person. Indicators of criminal behavior should.
    Concentrate on behavior. Behavior being the operative word in that equation. If an officer is abiding by this rule it does not matter as to the status of the "offender".
    It would take more space than there is here to further explain. I'm sure more than one book has been written on the subject. Suffice it to say an officer needs to be generally aware of the world in which they work without participation so that these indicators are known and available to them.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

The Lostralian is offline Fighting the battle
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    I hope my answer was not short to you. Maybe I can elaborate my view a little. Although it still won't apply to the question as it was given to you.
    In my area it is extremely close to a 50-50 split as to black and white. In that case you stand half a chance of stopping a black or white person. I have performed traffic stops on "G-rides" belonging to white persons and pick up trucks pulling horse trailers belonging black persons. Stereotypical beliefs should be avoided. Being a minority should have no bearing on contact with that person. Indicators of criminal behavior should.
    Concentrate on behavior. Behavior being the operative word in that equation. If an officer is abiding by this rule it does not matter as to the status of the "offender".
    It would take more space than there is here to further explain. I'm sure more than one book has been written on the subject. Suffice it to say an officer needs to be generally aware of the world in which they work without participation so that these indicators are known and available to them.
    It was not short at all, you were very helpful

Thank you to all of who answered my question and gave their views, I really do appreciate it. All of you guys were really helpful
    Future Detective of The S.P.D
    Pride Integrity Gratitude

Hearmoretalkless is offline On the street and stirring up trouble...
    Verified LEO
    Just north of Seattle... on the Canadian side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    It's not true. And falling into the trap of answering that has jammed up entire agencies.
    Yep. It's not true for us either. We stop cars because they are on BOLO or because of what they did, not because of who/what colour is driving.

My street checks are done because of behaviour and location and other articulable cause, not colour, gender, dress or whathaveyou.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    About the only time I have ever stopped a car because of the race of the driver was when he/she matched the description of someone fleeing the scene near the area of the call.

I work in a mostly white suburb - the chances were so good it was the suspect I'd have been a dumbass not to stop it.

Race isn't a bias I possess professionally.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information