Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtbear111 View Post
    Know how criminals think. You don't need a lot of Psych classes, just understand the word "GREED" and the rest follows: motive, opportunity, means. Talk to criminals, learn how they live. Develop informants.

Above all: ask why...?
    In homicide cases, never overlook feelings of remorse or guilt either. I had a member of the Mexican Mafia tell me once, "The first time you kill somebody, you really have trouble sleeping at night. The second time, it kinda bothers you for a while. After the third or fourth time, you kinda like it". I have every reason to believe that's true.

I got more confessions by looking for ways to give the suspect an excuse to confess more than anything. Unless they're a stone cold pyschopath or experience assassin, they'll have to talk about it to somebody. Hopefully, it'll be you.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Learn how to be a steet level patrol officer and don't jump at the first chance at doing exclusive investigative work. I did and I can say that on the job training sucks. Take your time at your first assignment. You never know you may like that one better. Trust me. I've went full circle.
    +1. I took and passed the Sgt's test at 4 years and turned it down. I didn't think i had enough experience yet. Never regretted that decision, especially after working for some 3-4 yr Sgts.

I had 10 years on before I was promoted to detective. I had plenty of time to hone my skills, especially at talking to people. I've often said, when you can routinely get people to do what they don't want to do w/o putting your hands on them, you're ready to be a detective. A huge chunk of the skill is simple persuasion.

Frankly, I think I learned more about how to be a good cop by working as a used car salesman than I did in the academy.....
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information