Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stopping a car

lop
    lop is offline Member
    No Terminator that's why I'm asking you.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by lop
    There is actually an E mail going around that goes somewhat so:

There is a mother and Daughter driving on the highway. All the sudden they have an unmarkt police car behind them. The daughter i believe called the cops and did asked if this is a police car. They said that this is NOT a police car and they should not stop. They gave the dispatcher the location and the real cops did lined up behind the bad guy. Yes they caught him. It turned out that he was a bad guy.
    That was a statement, not a question....

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    Oh I also heard that from a person who knew a person who dated someones cousin who had a baby with a guy whos mom that actually happened to.......its also like the email that says "if somone is driving with there lights off dont signal to them that there lights on..if you do they will shoot at you, because it is a gang signal for rival gangs". Dont believe everything you read on email or see from the media. If you believe everything you get from an email, you may need to buy some pills for your "little problem".

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Here is the deal if your in the US and your not sure if its a real officer behind you turn your hazards on and dial 911 they will tell you yes or no. After they tell you yes STOP the damn car.

If your in a foreign country well who knows how long it will take to get through to dispatch and for them to find out if that is a cop on the stop. Reason being they do not function the same in other countries as we do in the US as far as dispatch goes.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile

Jesus aint that the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2001
    If your in a foreign country well who knows how long it will take to get through to dispatch and for them to find out if that is a cop on the stop. Reason being they do not function the same in other countries as we do in the US as far as dispatch goes.
    Our system is a creaking pile of shit! I swear to Jesus, emergency services? Its as slow and cumbersome.
    1. Ring 112 (our 911) then say Gardai, Ambulance or Fire.
    2. Tell the emergency, name, address, etc etc. The guy logs this on a computer screen.
    3. Guy transfers this too relevent dispatcher who looks at it, requests a unit and then shows them dealing with it.

I have gotten emergeny calls for places around the corner, got there within 20 seconds and found out its 15 minutes old and the bad guy is well gone. Now thankfully thats not the norm but we badely need a complete overhaul of our system including radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

Sleuth is offline SS/A (Ret.)
    Ah Chris, I hate to disagree, but calling 9-1-1 will not always get the right answer. I was a Fed, and drove an unmarked car. We had no contact with local 9-1-1 centers, so they would not know if the car behind you was DEA, FBI, Customs, DHS, etc. etc. In my 27 years, I never had a good guy fail to stop. Had lots of bad guys fail to stop, though.
    But if in doubt, pull over, and just crack the window open. Once you see ID, tell the officer you are going to turn the car off and open the window.
    Survival is the only Victory!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth
    Ah Chris, I hate to disagree, but calling 9-1-1 will not always get the right answer. I was a Fed, and drove an unmarked car. We had no contact with local 9-1-1 centers, so they would not know if the car behind you was DEA, FBI, Customs, DHS, etc. etc. In my 27 years, I never had a good guy fail to stop. Had lots of bad guys fail to stop, though.
    But if in doubt, pull over, and just crack the window open. Once you see ID, tell the officer you are going to turn the car off and open the window.
    I disagree with you there as well. How many times do you see a DEA, FBI etc.. do a traffic stop like we are doing them? The people that you go after are going to know who the hell is after them when they see you. Its not asecret when its time for the take down.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Sleuth is offline SS/A (Ret.)
    Not really - not if I did my job right.

But we stopped people for all kinds of reasons:
    They were told to report for further inspection, but just drove off,
    They left a child in the secondary inspection office (Happens),
    They appeared to be coming from the border, or had "nexus to" the border,
    They appeared to be coming from a Customs Bonded warehouse, or "the functional equivelent of the border". This could be in any commercial area.
    They could be witnesses to a violation (in Customs areas, lots of folks don't even know what a violation is).
    They could be people I needed to interview, for any one of the 42 case catagories we used to have, from refrences for an applicant to smugglers
    And they could be in Kansas, and still have had "nexus" to a Customs bonded warehouse, or the international area of an airport (the 'functional equivelent of the border".)

So no, not everyone knew who we were. A we sometimes stopped the wrong car, just like everyone else.
    BTW, I once got stopped by DEA by mistake. It does happen, and 9-1-1 knew nothing about it.
    Last edited by Sleuth; 02-08-06 at 02:23 PM.
    Survival is the only Victory!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth
    Not really - not if I did my job right.

But we stopped people for all kinds of reasons:
    They were told to report for further inspection, but just drove off,
    They left a child in the secondary inspection office (Happens),
    They appeared to be coming from the border, or had "nexus to" the border,
    They appeared to be coming from a Customs Bonded warehouse, or "the functional equivelent of the border". This could be in any commercial area.
    They could be witnesses to a violation (in Customs areas, lots of folks don't even know what a violation is).
    They could be people I needed to interview, for any one of the 42 case catagories we used to have, from refrences for an applicant to smugglers
    And they could be in Kansas, and still have had "nexus" to a Customs bonded warehouse, or the international area of an airport (the 'functional equivelent of the border".)

So no, not everyone knew who we were. A we sometimes stopped the wrong car, just like everyone else.
    BTW, I once got stopped by DEA by mistake. It does happen, and 9-1-1 knew nothing about it.

That job sounds awesome I want your job.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Sleuth, what stopped you from letting the locals know about what you were doing?

I got no problem with Feds or anyone else (other jurisdictions) coming out to play where I work. As least give us the courtesy of letting us know, so we can get there if some shit goes down and we have to pull your ass out of the fire. If you step in shit while playing in my backyard, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy if you didn't tell me you were going to be there in the first place. We also might be a little reluctant to help you clean what you dig up.

("you" refers to anyone applicable here...not you in particular, Sleuth)

Denver Gang Unit was in town a while back, doing surveillance on a house. On their way out of town, they decided to knock on the door of a guy wanted on felony weapons charges. Well they do, and sure as shit, he answers the door with a Beretta in his hand. Things were ugly for a second I guess, and they called for code 3 cover from us. We didn't even know they were there. WE get down there, end up seizing a bunch of stolen property. They try o dump the whole thing on us, the weapons charge, stolen property, everything. My sup says no way. Denver whines, well we can't charge him for an offense committed in your city. Well, what they were really trying to do was dump off everything, including the warrant, on us, because they bit off more than they WANTED to chew, and they were anxious for choir practice. Sup says, yeah, you guys are in a pickle, aren't ya? Guess you'll have to call ATF. So we left them to do whatever, while they waited for ATF to show up and arrest the guy on weapons charges.

Well, ATF ends up finishing up and calls us and says "We're done with this guy." We tell them to call Denver, and they say "Oh, okay...thought you guys were taking the warrant, sorry." Anyhow, long story short, we ended up taking the warrant anyway, as all the Denver guys managed to slip away, and were drunk by the time we called them up. Some words were exchanged, and their Lt. knew they fucked up.

Sorry, I just hate leaving locals out of the loop until your ass is in a sling. Back on topic!
    Last edited by 121Traffic; 02-09-06 at 07:13 AM.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Good point 121Traffic, communication is vital between different jurisdictions. Let me know what you're doing in my city.

This thread can be continued on the verified side if you guys would like to discuss it. "LOP" (the thread starter) is no longer a member of LEF, so she won't see these responses anyway.

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    Did you happen to attend any grammar schools while living all over the world?

michiganstud Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lop
    Pitcure it : Highway in the night.

What shall I do when a unmarked police car is behind me with lights on? Shall I stop right away or shall i drive to the nearest exit where I think it is safe to stop?

Hmmmm.............if it is dark out, how do you know the car is "unmarked"?

Call 911 and ask if that is really one of their guys trying to stop you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information