Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: vandalism

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...

vandalism

My soon to be ex wife had her car vandalized at work last night. There is no doubt who did it, but no video evidence, and no eye-witness. The scum bag in question had been fired by her earlier that night....came back at about midnight and made the following statement " so I am fired huh? well I hope you have insurance 'cause its gonna cost you". She went to leave later, and all 4 tires were slashed. Upon returning to work today, she noticed it was also keyed on the hood. She filed the appropriate police reports, and had a witness also to the statement made bythe scum bag in question. My question to the learned members...what if any result can be expected from this? I have my doubts since there was no witness to the act. Also, she leaves work alone usually, well after midnight. Should she get a restraining order? She is more than a little unnerved by these events. FYI, this happened in Norman Oklahoma.
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
    My soon to be ex wife had her car vandalized at work last night.
    I think your safe as long as no one seen you do it. Don't talk to the cops without a lawyer.
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    If I took her complaint, I would maybe go talk to the suspect, but that would be it. Without video evidence, a witness, or some sort of physical evidence linking him to the scene of the crime, I wouldn't dig too deep into it. But like I said, I would at least interview him, and if he admits to it then great.

Also, I'm currently reading a book called "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker. This is my second time reading it, and I highly recommend it. He has a lot of discussion in the book regarding restraining orders. I guess it gives the police a reason to arrest him, if he violates it. But if she doesn't think he'll follow the restraining order, what's the point? If she thinks it will only enrage him, or embarrass him, she may want to go about things a different way; because that may be just the incentive he needs to break the restraining order and do something stupid.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

kinda what I was thinking Jim...I figured he went home, got sober or came down from whatever high he was on, and will probably get ghost ASAP. Her work is trying to reimburse her for the cost of the tires, ($600-$800 plus tow) and I have a friend who does body work, so might be able to get the hood painted cheap. Toungue in cheek, what am I looking at if I go take the $1000 out of his ass??? LOL
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm going to cover my ears and shut my eyes while nodding my head no and yelling LALALALALALALALALALA.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I'm going to cover my ears and shut my eyes while nodding my head no and yelling LALALALALALALALALALA.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
    My soon to be ex wife had her car vandalized at work last night. There is no doubt who did it, but no video evidence, and no eye-witness. The scum bag in question had been fired by her earlier that night....came back at about midnight and made the following statement " so I am fired huh? well I hope you have insurance 'cause its gonna cost you". She went to leave later, and all 4 tires were slashed. Upon returning to work today, she noticed it was also keyed on the hood. She filed the appropriate police reports, and had a witness also to the statement made bythe scum bag in question. My question to the learned members...what if any result can be expected from this? I have my doubts since there was no witness to the act. Also, she leaves work alone usually, well after midnight. Should she get a restraining order? She is more than a little unnerved by these events. FYI, this happened in Norman Oklahoma.

ever think to bring the witness who heard him make the statement to civil court infront of judge judy?

seriously though that sucks and actually since it is a work place issue and he made that verbal threat... did he at that time have the intent, opportunity and ability... well he had opportunity and ability but the tough part to prove is intent...
    however, being fired and the statement he made could be worth taking it to civil court at the least...

never know... it might be worth the time.

just remember that person who heard him make the statement has to be present at court... no document... must be present.

as far as the restraining order.. hell yeah get one.
    he made the threat at work... i take that seriously and at the least your wife can feel threatened by him and reasonably be in fear from this asshole. Just get someone to write a verbal threat report and then take it over to the court house...

at least that is how it works here.

then by the time you go to civil court the judge will see that your wife to the verbal threat seriously and that it did happen since she would present the judge with a written report along with the court order etc...
    document, document and document
    the present.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

thanks goz

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    +1 on the civil remedy. Only a preponderance of the evidence is usually needed for a judgement. It does depend on the judge and what kind of mood they may be in. Seeing as to the amount of the damage I'd probably go for it.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

yea, I will probably tell her to go for it. Sad thing is, we are only staying together right now till we get our collective finances in shape enough to sustain 2 households, for the kids sake. Screw the car damage, this POS just kept me under the same roof as her for another month. LOL

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    You don't need any evidence to do a knock-and-talk, but if someone witnessed him make that statement I think that gives the detectives investigating it a little more than reasonable suspicion.

I would also let the insurance company know about the incident and take him to civil court.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Stupid question, but were there surveillance cameras in the lot?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    The others already beat me to most of the good adivce... Without more evidence or a witness, the best I could do is talk with the guy and see if he would confess.

However, the civil court remedy requires a lower burden of proof. On smaller deals like this one, most states don't require lawyers in these typs of suits. Also, I personally feel like you probably have enough to win a suit against him, but - as other have said - the judge plays a big role in this!

Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Stupid question, but were there surveillance cameras in the lot?
    sadly no, which really ticks me off because I do that kind of work!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradocop View Post
    The others already beat me to most of the good adivce... Without more evidence or a witness, the best I could do is talk with the guy and see if he would confess.

However, the civil court remedy requires a lower burden of proof. On smaller deals like this one, most states don't require lawyers in these typs of suits. Also, I personally feel like you probably have enough to win a suit against him, but - as other have said - the judge plays a big role in this!
    Could I talk to him with extreme force and prejudice?! LOL

Thread Information