Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    I usually don't mind ride-alongs, but there are some rules...

1. Department policy won't allow riders to exit the vehicle on traffic stops. If the rider is one of our CSO's *and* they are wearing a vest, I want them out of the car on the passenger side observing the mopes.

2. Pay attention when I explain how the radio works in case you have to call in an officer down.

3. If I'm getting my ass handed to me in by someone, you better help otherwise I'll drive you a hundred miles away, steal your clothes, money, and cell phone, then drive away.

4. Pay attention when I show you the "Oh, shit" button. Use the knowledge from #2, then press the button, grab the weapon, and help my ass.

5. Ask questions. Just remember, there are no dumb questions. There are only dumb people that ask questions. HOWEVER, don't you dare ask if I've ever shot anyone.

6. No, we will not get into a pursuit. Department policy prohibits non-sworn officers from participating in them. If we get one, you're getting dropped off somewhere safe and I'm taking off.

7. If you're a sworn officer, you better have your gun and badge with you because you will be getting into everything I am.

8. I prefer dark roast coffee with no sugar or cream. Dinner is usually around 0300 and I like Subway.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by gozling View Post
    i just ask for no smoking and dont look at my tits
    Damn, I smoke and have a tendency to look at breasteses
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post

1. Department policy won't allow riders to exit the vehicle on traffic stops. If the rider is one of our CSO's *and* they are wearing a vest, I want them out of the car on the passenger side observing the mopes.

2. Pay attention when I explain how the radio works in case you have to call in an officer down.

3. If I'm getting my ass handed to me in by someone, you better help otherwise I'll drive you a hundred miles away, steal your clothes, money, and cell phone, then drive away.

4. Pay attention when I show you the "Oh, shit" button. Use the knowledge from #2, then press the button, grab the weapon, and help my ass.

5. Ask questions. Just remember, there are no dumb questions. There are only dumb people that ask questions. HOWEVER, don't you dare ask if I've ever shot anyone.

6. No, we will not get into a pursuit. Department policy prohibits non-sworn officers from participating in them. If we get one, you're getting dropped off somewhere safe and I'm taking off.

7. If you're a sworn officer, you better have your gun and badge with you because you will be getting into everything I am.

8. I prefer dark roast coffee with no sugar or cream. Dinner is usually around 0300 and I like Subway.
    lol i like how you broke that down
    and
    guess you are never riding with me for your other statement
    lol
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Damn... some of you are nicer than I'd have been.

Civilian ride alongs -- if I want want you out of the car, I'll invite you. Otherwise, you're stuck in that passenger seat 'til I tell you to move. (The only exception is if I'm getting my ass kicked...) If you're out of the car, and people want to talk to you -- you refer 'em to me. If you violate basic rules like that, especially to the point it's a problem, you're going home. I'll write a memo explaining it -- but you're done!

Otherwise, so long as you don't distract me, talk to me. Hold up your end of the conversation. Ask me questions; answer mine.

Offers to buy lunch or dinner are appreciated , even if I say thanks anyway!

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    The reason our deputies want a ride-along out of the car on traffic stops, is bad guys tend to shoot at the car first.

We've had cases in the past where someone on a ride-along has been shot. In one instance, the officer was murdered, and the killer (Saigon Penn) then walked up to the patrol car and shot the civilian.

In the other case, a man opened fire on the patrol car. The wounded Explorer was able to get out of the vehicle and get to the back of the car. Unfortunately, a K9 lost his life.

http://www.camemorial.org/k9/urk03.htm
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

EXCELSIOR is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Don't talk to people, if you are allowed out of the car.

And if you do get out, and people talk to you, refer all questions, comments, cares, concerns they may have to the officer you're with.

I had a reserve riding with me a few weeks ago, and every call we went on he would start interviewing somebody. Or giving advice. Or whatever.

I finally had to tell him to STFU.
    Question: Isn't a reserve a cop too? Why wouldn't he be able to interview people?

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by EXCELSIOR View Post
    Question: Isn't a reserve a cop too?
    Maybe in your state.

Not in mine.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by EXCELSIOR View Post
    Question: Isn't a reserve a cop too? Why wouldn't he be able to interview people?
    Not in MN. Here, they're non-sworn volunteers that usually work parade details and other town/city functions.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by gozling View Post
    whats with all the nuts stuff?
    lol

i just ask for no smoking and dont look at my tits

and if its a girl... dont fucking ask me who is single on my squad
    kicked one girl to the curb on that one...
    no badge bunnies allowed.

I'm sorry Goz, did you say something? I was busy looking at ..... ummmmmmm nevermind.

"Stupid should hurt."

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post

Just like I do it. Reps inbound.

I had a NYPD officer ride with me, gave her my backup although she had her creds and badge.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

k2.rocky is offline Officer First Class
    Don't touch ANYTHING in my car. I've had people come ride with me and the first thing they want to do is touch my radar antenna, look through my paperwork above the visor, check out the glove box. I was thinking Good God man! Is nothing sacred in my car?
    "When you stop learning, you deny yourself the opportunity to grow." ~TDSA Tulsa~
    www.tdsatulsa.com

"Anyone who gets in a fair fight…..has no tactical skills"

"We're entirely surrounded, those poor bastards. They've got us right where we want 'em. We can shoot in every direction now." ~General Chesty Puller~

"I firmly believe that you live and learn, and if you don't learn from past mistakes, then you need to be drug out and shot." ~R. Lee Ermy~

ghost98 is offline BEEN THERE BUT NOT EVERYWHERE
    I have one rule: If I'm getting my ass kicked, you better be getting your ass kicked, too!

GOOD ONE!!!!!

k2.rocky is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    Don't dress like a wannabe thug, and on the same token, don't show up looking like a rejected extra from some SWAT or War movie. Smart Casual and comfortable. Slacks and a golf shirt, etc.
    That's funny as hell but true. I've seen civilians show up for ride-a-longs (not with me) wearing black bdu's carrying handcuffs and wearing those cheap ass truck stop SWAT ballcaps. It's very entertaining but I wouldn't let that crap fly if it was my rider.
    "When you stop learning, you deny yourself the opportunity to grow." ~TDSA Tulsa~
    www.tdsatulsa.com

"Anyone who gets in a fair fight…..has no tactical skills"

"We're entirely surrounded, those poor bastards. They've got us right where we want 'em. We can shoot in every direction now." ~General Chesty Puller~

"I firmly believe that you live and learn, and if you don't learn from past mistakes, then you need to be drug out and shot." ~R. Lee Ermy~

phoenix Guest
    SHhhh...

mike01 is offline patrol deputy
    Verified LEO
    jmur5074... basically,a reserve in your state does what exactly? first one ine the door on a raid,without a gun,or what? are they expendable? in my neck of the woods,a reserve is a sworn deputy,with the same powers that a ful-time carry. With out them,the s.o. would be reduce to nothing.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by mike01 View Post
    jmur5074... basically,a reserve in your state does what exactly? first one ine the door on a raid,without a gun,or what? are they expendable? in my neck of the woods,a reserve is a sworn deputy,with the same powers that a ful-time carry. With out them,the s.o. would be reduce to nothing.
    A reserve here in Minnesota is, as gopherpuckfan said, a non-sworn volunteer. In my city we work parades, city events, high school and college sports, extra patrol in marked (or unmarked) vehicle, provide backup on traffic stops (extra set of eyes as well as wait for the tow truck), traffic control for events and accidents, ride along with sworn officers, foot patrol downtown, and other duties assigned by sergeant (no parking signs for parades etc.). We are not expected to assist on dangerous calls, nor are we allowed to be first car on scene for anything.
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

catcher T is offline Rookie
    The only reason I would want out of the car is to smoke and to let my protection dog take a wiz, whom will gladly come to anyones aid if their getting their arse kicked
    The weak serve no purpose. Doubt and fear are the great enemies of knowledge.
    James Allen
    with that said, don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things, k?

Deputy Joe is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I keep them in the car unless I tell them otherwise with one exception. If I pull the driver out for fields, the rider can get out and stand by the front passenger side quarter panel to observe.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    We are not allowed to have ride alongs because of liability

I did a couple RA's before becoming a LEO.

1. I showed up in a nice polo and khaki pants.
    2. I did not bring any equipment or have anything symbolizing police
    3. I asked the rules out of the gate
    4. I did as I was told and kept my mouth shut
    5. Was shown the Shotgun Release button and how to use the radio
    (I will never forget the statement "IF I AM GETTING MY ASS KICKED, RADIO FOR HELP AND PUT THIS TO THE BACK OF THEIR HEAD")
    6. If they are so gratious to take you on a RA, you should by them lunch!
    7. Dont try and share LEO stories unless you are an LEO!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoestring View Post
    7. Dont try and share LEO stories unless you are an LEO!
    That is a very good one!!!

I had a reserve riding with me one night (as already explained, reserves are non sworn/non paid auxiliary officers in MN) and he was telling me about a past ride along he was on, and EVERY call, and EVERY traffic stop they made...with ALL the details. And it wasn't even anything good...typical damage to property, thefts, headlights out, drunks, etc....stupid shit.

I finally stopped him and was like "Yeah, I don't want to hear about any of the stuff that I do EVERY SINGLE NIGHT anymore...thanks"
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information