Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    deputy29 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    I usually don't mind ride-alongs, but there are some rules...

1. Department policy won't allow riders to exit the vehicle on traffic stops. If the rider is one of our CSO's *and* they are wearing a vest, I want them out of the car on the passenger side observing the mopes.

2. Pay attention when I explain how the radio works in case you have to call in an officer down.

3. If I'm getting my ass handed to me in by someone, you better help otherwise I'll drive you a hundred miles away, steal your clothes, money, and cell phone, then drive away.

4. Pay attention when I show you the "Oh, shit" button. Use the knowledge from #2, then press the button, grab the weapon, and help my ass.

5. Ask questions. Just remember, there are no dumb questions. There are only dumb people that ask questions. HOWEVER, don't you dare ask if I've ever shot anyone.

6. No, we will not get into a pursuit. Department policy prohibits non-sworn officers from participating in them. If we get one, you're getting dropped off somewhere safe and I'm taking off.

7. If you're a sworn officer, you better have your gun and badge with you because you will be getting into everything I am.

8. I prefer dark roast coffee with no sugar or cream. Dinner is usually around 0300 and I like Subway.
    Same for me and my department except I have cream with my coffee. Also if unless your LEO don't even think of bring a weapon with you.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    Don't ask me about what type of gun I carry. Just know that I am proficient with it and it does what it is designed to do.

Oh yeah, and buckle your damn seat belt! If I had to move everything out of that seat just for you to be in it you are going to wear the belt!
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    I get out of ridalongs by saying sorry, I may be getting a trainee later in the shift for another FTO

I do make exceptions for visiting LEO's from other agencies. Good to talk back and forth about the differances in our agencies.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    So how many agencies allow RA'S

We dont because of liability (or so I am told)

and if you are allowed, if you get get into something serious (I.E. chase etc.) are you suppose to dump them at the curb?

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    To the curb they go.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Ride-alongs are permitted, with advance approval. Depending on the nature of the call, they get dumped somewhere safe.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

ryan36002 is offline Senior Officer
    Verified LEO
    If your not buying me dinner you better bring your own. I don't make enough to entertain you and buy your meals.

AND

I have been a cop long enough to know who needs pulled over and who don't. Your help is not needed on this topic.
    "You will learn more with your ears than you will your mouth!"

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    We are only allowed having reserves, and dispatchers. The general public is a no-no!
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Don't ask "do you know Officer So-and So" also. I work with 260 guys and I know who all of them are. Its irrelevant to what you are here to look at.
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Our agency encourages R/As....especially for prospects who arethinking of testing. I have always enjoyed them....I only have a very few rules and they are pretty much what you would think.

The opportunity to do a ride along is often the highlight of someone's year if not their life....and it pays big dividends in terms of making a lifelong friend out of that citizen.

I have never dropped off a rider but have often moved them to another unit not directly involved in the incident....believe me...they will talk about your agency with respect for years and you just can't buy that kind of support.

Catching the bad guy isn't the only thing we do that makes our community safer.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

aviator090 is offline Banned
    I really really hate it when they start, without asking, assuming its cool to touch stuff, just like touching my regular radio in my personal car, don't ever touch a policemans stuff!...

To keep my riders entertained I teach them how to use CAD (VISUAL MCT) , and let them run tags as we ride around and keep up on all pending calls... Also , in some cases I let them cycle the siren for me, keeps my hands free when going into an intersection and lets them feel it out... I instruct them "my" way , approach intersection, "YELP" then "HYPER YELP", "AIR HORN", "AIR HORN", "AIR HORN", "HYPER YELP".....

Usually the riders have so much fun running tags it keeps them from distracting me hearing the radio... Also I tend to find the most with them as they have more time to run tags than I could driving.

GhostCop is offline Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    Our agency encourages R/As....especially for prospects who arethinking of testing. I have always enjoyed them....I only have a very few rules and they are pretty much what you would think.

The opportunity to do a ride along is often the highlight of someone's year if not their life....and it pays big dividends in terms of making a lifelong friend out of that citizen.

I have never dropped off a rider but have often moved them to another unit not directly involved in the incident....believe me...they will talk about your agency with respect for years and you just can't buy that kind of support.

Catching the bad guy isn't the only thing we do that makes our community safer.

Car 4
    Well said Car 4. I could not agree more. The more citizens who are our allies the better it is for us. No doubt about it. And you are right. We take it for granted going out on patrol because we do it every night, but a ride along may be someones dream coming true. I have had some damn good ride alongs in my career and I try to get my rider involved, as an observer only mind you, in as much as I possibly can. They cant learn anything sitting in the damn car.

deputy29 rode along with me once and we had a blast. She is welcome in my car anytime.
    "Any community's arm of force - military, police, security - needs people in it who can do necessary evil, and yet not be made evil by it. To do only the necessary and no more. To constantly question the assumptions, to stop the slide into atrocity."

LitchRes is offline CARS SUCK-Ride a Victory!
    Some of the worst ride alongs I ever had were reserves or other cops. They tend to overstep their bounds thinking they have pre-approved permission to touch shit and mess with stuff. The citizens I have had are usually very respectful and quiet. But now, I run a damn desk most of the time so I dont have to worry about it....I can pawn them off on gopherpuckfan !! Sorry man...

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by LitchRes View Post
    But now, I run a damn desk most of the time so I dont have to worry about it....I can pawn them off on gopherpuckfan !! Sorry man...
    Gee, thanks Litch
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information