Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nicenshygirl is offline Rookie

How did your parents/family members, feel when you told them that you wanted to be in Law Enforcement?

How did they react? Did they support you? When I told my parents that I wanted to be a Police Officer, they tried to talk me out of it, but now, they support me. Thanks in advance.

LawnMM is offline Oppressor of Crackheads
    Supportive but concerned is probably the best way to describe it. They're family so naturally they worry about what I might be dealing with. I try to spare them any knowledge of stuff that would really concern them so sometimes when they ask how my day or week went I have to bite my tongue.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    I agree with what lawnMM said.
    Its common to hear that famly tend to drive you in another direction when you mention law enforcement as a profession.

Ultimatly, your choice, and feelings in life is what counts. They will come to respect you for your decisions, just like the rest of us that made this choice.

Good luck on your venture, and keep a positive thought going through.
    K9max
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My dad pinned my badge, and my mom never said much - but she had been married to my dad and been through the cop stuff already.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO
    My dad has been a police officer for awhile so he didnt have any problem. My mom has always been supportive of anything I do so basically as long as it's what I wanted to do, she was cool with it. My dad tought part of my academy so he was up on the stage with all the instrctors during my graduation. When it came time for them to call my name, he stepped up to the podium, called my name, and handed me my certificate. It was the coolest thing ever. I had no idea it was going to happen so it was a total surprise to me.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I think my mom worries, but she knows it's something I've always wanted to do, so she doesn't say anything.

When I told my grandmother, she said, "Oh lawd" and asked me why I couldn't do what my grandfather did- work for the post office.

I told her that my chances of getting shot were much less, and at least I'd have a bullet proof vest.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Being the Asian Love King and all, and growing up in the traditional Asian family, my parents wanted me to be either a doctor, lawyer or a business man. I started out in college majoring in business economics thinking I was going to be a stockbroker, but i hated it and my grades were showing how much I hated it. So I ended up transferring to a college in the city and majored in Criminal Justice. Ended up with great GPA and explained to my parents that the reason I did so well was because that's where my interest was and they actually understood. So now they're very suppostive of me mainly because I'm doing well in this field..being a Detective and all
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Hearmoretalkless is offline On the street and stirring up trouble...
    Verified LEO
    Just north of Seattle... on the Canadian side.
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    My dad pinned my badge, and my mom never said much - but she had been married to my dad and been through the cop stuff already.
    Yeah, what he said.

Plus... if you aren't already married, pick a wife who is RABIDLY supportive. Not calm, not iffy, not whatever. RABIDLY supportive. OTherwise she'll try to change you into an accountant or something and you'll have to dump her.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hearmoretalkless View Post
    Yeah, what he said.

Plus... if you aren't already married, pick a wife who is RABIDLY supportive. Not calm, not iffy, not whatever. RABIDLY supportive. OTherwise she'll try to change you into an accountant or something and you'll have to dump her.

The person who started this thread is niceshnygirl.....soo.....

In the immortal words of Willy Wonka, scratch that, reverse it!
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Hearmoretalkless is offline On the street and stirring up trouble...
    Verified LEO
    Just north of Seattle... on the Canadian side.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    The person who started this thread is niceshnygirl.....soo.....

In the immortal words of Willy Wonka, scratch that, reverse it!
    Yeah yeah... I saw that just now and came back to fix it.

Mind you, I am in SoCal right now and there are dykes all over the place, gays too -- so maybe Nicenshygirl will marry a wife... depends who wears the pants and who gets to wear the skirt.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    For me, I started by approaching my wife (then fiance) about the career change. She had been with me since college, and was with me through a couple of corporate careers. When I asked her what she thought, her response was something akin to "I'm not worried, you'll be fine... do what you want to do, it is your career not mine!". She is not the type to worry about most things, and has remained that way for the entire time I've been on the job.

My dad was also supportive, mostly because I think he likes the sound of the job (fun, and all).

My mom was the toughest sell. I still remember the uncomfortable silence on the phone after I told her that I was leaving a cushy white-collar job to be a cop in the 'hood. After about 15 seconds that silence was followed by a hesitant: "okay.... are you sure you want to do that?". She has since become fairly accepting of the job, and I think she likes to tell her associates that her son is a cop! Her brother was a cop for over 20 years before he had to take a medical retirement, so she should be accustomed to the lifestyle to some degree.

I think the hardest part for my mom was when my little brother (an architect) decided to become a reserve officer after hearing my stories! I thought my mom was going to kill me for that one

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    I was 17 when I went to college and I wanted to be LEO, but my rents would not sign college tuition/ assist in getting if for me so I had to pick another subject because they didnt want me to be a LEO. When I was old enough, I dropped out from that college and then went for Police Science. Now that I am a LEO, my parents love it (go figure). My wife is always worried though, but she has come a long way since I first started when we were dating.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by LawnMM View Post
    I try to spare them any knowledge of stuff that would really concern them so sometimes when they ask how my day or week went I have to bite my tongue.
    That must make it especially difficult...not only for you but your s/o.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Probation13-901 is offline Master Officer
    My Family was very supportive. They told me jump right in!!! They are all very proud of me.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    I started out young at 19 I was a federal L.E. with the Coast Guard. I got out 2-68 and by 7-68 I was on the police department, the same one my dad was on at that time he had 25 years on the job and was very supportave, as was his uncle who was on the job before my dad. When I hit the streets I carried the same Smith M&P 4" 38spl revolver both of them carried. What really made my dad's day was when I came out on the list #3 one place above the chief's son.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Hannah87 is offline Giggidy... Giggidy..
    Verified LEO
    My mom supports anything I decide to do so she was all for it. Since I got the job she's been even more excited. My dad doesn't care what I do really. My whole family was excited for me except my Grandma. She brings it up everytime I visit her asking.. is this really what you want to do? etc. etc. etc.
    May you rest in peace Daddy and may you never hurt again. I love you and miss you and can't wait to see you again.

12/12/44- 2/26/09

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Mom didn't say much either way, Dad, a retired LEO, tried to get me to be a fireman.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    I did not discuss my career goals with my parents before I became a LEO. I did discuss it with my wife and she was all for it. Once I entered the profession my parents were very supportive. When my brother followed a few years later, the entire family was supportive in every manner and our experiences were often a topic of conversation at get togethers with the family. I am certain my wife and mother were often filled with angst over the job, but they never expressed their feelings.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

CW Mock is offline Trooper
    Verified LEO
    Eh, I never had any problems.

My Dad was a cop. All of my our family friends growing up were cops. If I had been anything else but a cop, something would have seemed wrong. I went to college, got my degree and became a cop.

As for my wife, she is rabidly supportive of what I do. All in all, I got a really good thing going on with my personal life and the way it supports my job.
    "I have an open door policy on tickets ... if I have to open my door, you are getting a ticket. If I turn on those lights, somebody has to pay the electric bill."

The opinions given in my posts and comments
    DO NOT reflect any of the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "CW Mock" on LEF/Officer Resource.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My step father said he would kick my ass until my nose bled. My mother didn't care one way or the other. (see seems fairly proud now) My wife hated it but said she would never stand in my way since I felt so strongly about it. I think everyone just sort of lives with the idea now.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information