Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nicenshygirl is offline Rookie

If you have bad eye sight, would that affect your chance of being a police officer?

Well, I can see things up close really well, but if I were to see things from a distant, then it tends to get a little blurry, unless I have my glasses on. I do see some officers out there who do wear glasses, but would it affect you, on being hired, because I'm sure there are other applicants who might have better eye sight than me. Also, if I were to get laser surgery, for better vision, would that disqualify me? Thanks in advance.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    It all depends on the agency. Many now are accepting some types of laser surgery for some corrections. Most agencies accept a certain degree of bad vision, as long as it's correctable to 20/20. (You still need to be able to see well enough to function if your glasses or contacts are lost for some reason.)

What you need to know is exactly what your vision is (20/30, 20/50, 20/200, for example), and then check with the agencies where you want to apply. Find out what they're uncorrected standards are, and what methods of correction (to include surgical) they'll accept.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Laser surgery worked for me. Best money I have spent.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

nicenshygirl is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Laser surgery worked for me. Best money I have spent.

Did it hurt?

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    You'll have to check with individual departments.

They all set their own standards.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nicenshygirl View Post
    Did it hurt?

No. Doc gave me a valium before and then gave me some eye numbing drops. It is wierd b/c you watch the whole thing. Still very much worth it.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    I have glasses but then again I really don't do anything.
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I need glasses for reading, my distance vision is slightly off, but not enough to cause a problem, matter of fact when I qualify with a weapon, if I wear my glasses, I don't shoot as well as I do without them. I had a vision test on hire and I didn't have a problem at all.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    California Highway Patrol vision requirements:

Vision:

The candidate must read from a standard Eye Test chart.
    If eyeglasses or hard contact lenses are worn, uncorrected vision must be no less than 20/40 in each eye and corrected to 20/20 in each eye. Applicants who have successfully worn soft contact lenses for the past 12 months are not required to meet an uncorrected standard, as long as their corrected vision is 20/20 in each eye. Normal color vision is required as assessed by the Farnsworth-Munsell D-15 test. An X-Chrom Lens is prohibited.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nicenshygirl View Post
    Did it hurt?
    Mine hurt briefly because I neglected to tell the doc I was a slow reactor to lidocaine, but after he squirted some more in and waited I felt nothing at all.

It is a trip to watch though!

20/20 again!
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I have dealt with that the entire time I have been a police officer. I used to wear glasses and it was not a big deal, except for summer nights when I had my AC all the way up and my glasses fogged over instantly when I stepped out of the car. I got in the habit of taking them off as I got out of the car but I was not comfortable with not being able to see as well as I should. I went to daily disposable soft contacts and it worked out GREAT. I can even ride ATVs in dust with the ones I wear with no problem. I do want to get surgery eventually but the cost and the fact that long term effects have not been documented are prohibitive.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    California Highway Patrol vision requirements:

Vision:

The candidate must read from a standard Eye Test chart.
    If eyeglasses or hard contact lenses are worn, uncorrected vision must be no less than 20/40 in each eye and corrected to 20/20 in each eye. Applicants who have successfully worn soft contact lenses for the past 12 months are not required to meet an uncorrected standard, as long as their corrected vision is 20/20 in each eye. Normal color vision is required as assessed by the Farnsworth-Munsell D-15 test. An X-Chrom Lens is prohibited.
    Interesting... Are officers who meet the soft-contact criteria forbidden from wearing glasses? My wife uses the extended wear contacts, and she has to give her eyes a break every few months.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Not really, after the academy they will put you on Night Traffic Patrol

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Interesting... Are officers who meet the soft-contact criteria forbidden from wearing glasses? My wife uses the extended wear contacts, and she has to give her eyes a break every few months.
    Certainly, once out of the academy she can wear glasses if she desires. The reason for the 20/40 maximum - uncorrected - is officer safety. Many officers do. In fact, many officers have to wear glasses after a couple of years.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Certainly, once out of the academy she can wear glasses if she desires. The reason for the 20/40 maximum - uncorrected - is officer safety. Many officers do. In fact, many officers have to wear glasses after a couple of years.
    I understood that... but the CHP standard listed said that an officer who has shown that they can wear soft contacts DOESN'T have to meet the uncorrected standard. In other words -- their vision could be way below the standard without glasses. If that officer wears glasses for work one day, for whatever reason, then they CAN'T see if the glasses fog up or get knocked off.

To me, if they're hired and pass the vision testing based on the soft contact exception, I think you'd have to flag them as required to wear the contacts, unless the meet the uncorrected standard -- for those same officer safety reasons.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Here, as long as you can see corrected to a certain requirement you are fine.

If my glasses are off, I just shoot for the middle of the blur. Works ok for the most part.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cntryboy0531 View Post
    Here, as long as you can see corrected to a certain requirement you are fine.

If my glasses are off, I just shoot for the middle of the blur. Works ok for the most part.
    Shoot the one in the middle! LOL
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Shoot the one in the middle! LOL

Little bit better than spray and pray.

phoenix Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    No. Doc gave me a valium before and then gave me some eye numbing drops. It is wierd b/c you watch the whole thing. Still very much worth it.
    What if you refuse to take drugs,,AND the laser misses? :

trdvet is offline Licensed Finger Pointer
    Verified LEO
    My vision was 20/400 when I first joined. The limit is 20/100 but they allowed my to wear my contacts and I passed the vision test. A little later I got LASIK which was the best money I've ever spent.
    Disclaimer: The opinions given DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. By viewing this post you agree to indemnify myself and my employing agency and hold them harmless from all claims, proceedings, damages, injuries, liabilities, losses, costs and expenses.

Only two things fall from the sky; Bird Shit and Bad Motherfu##ers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information