Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Gustin is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Here's an idea.

Don't wait till the end of the course to do the assignment I bet they gave you several weeks ago.

Here's another idea...

Next time, go to the police department during normal business hours. Ask to speak to the Public Information Officer, or the Recruiting Officer. If he's not available, ask the supervisor or desk officer if there's someone who wouldn't mind answering your questions, or if you can make an appointment to talk with someone. Most squads have someone who's generally willing to answer these sorts of questions, and most of the time, the supervisor'll have an idea who it is. If they don't have time to talk, they might agree to do it by email...

'Cause, you know, I bet that asking on forum wasn't what the teacher really wanted out of this assignment.
    Actually he did say that was an option, and I did contact the department 2 weeks ago, by their email contact info and phone, I didn't go in though which I suppose I could have done. It isn't like I waited until the last minute, when I emailed they contacted me back a week and a half later and said there was too much to reply to and that they would contact me by phone, well nobody called me, so I tried calling myself and couldn't get anyone to help, I guess I didn't know the right person to ask because it was very difficult getting answers.

At any rate it's not a big deal, it wasn't worth that many points and I already had a fire fighter and an EMT answer all the questions, I just thought it would be nice to have an police officer answer as well since that is my career goal. Not trying to step on anyones toes. :P Have a good day!

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustin View Post
    lol thanks Five-0.
    $19.95, make it $14.95 and you've got a deal! Anyways, thanks for all the smart ass remarks, I know the questions were stupid Car 4, but it's the questions they make us ask, and I tried contacting the department directly and it's taken them forever to get back. It is also difficult to ask so many questions over the phone on top of them not wanting to. The only one it was easy with was the fire fighters, hehe just walk over and ask them and they are happy to fill it out. :P

Anyways, have a great day everyone!

Gustin there may be an opening for you somewhere yet.

There is just enough a hint of dark and knowing sarcasm to make you a suitable applicant to the job.

And yes, we are just about the same the world over.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Hey Gustin,

don't just walk away from LEF just because you don't need us for your assignment anymore.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Awe... I had to do an assignment like that... but I asked my friends... I also left it open to be very anonymous, offered self addressed stamped envelopes... whatever they wanted... because I knew them no one cared... don't get discouraged... you could just call 911 and ask the responding officer to fill it out

WARNING:

**Don't really do that**

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The only one it was easy with was the fire fighters, hehe just walk over and ask them and they are happy to fill it out. :P
    Of course, they're not actually working anyhow. Why not take a break from the recliner and answer some questions.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Screw it, I'll answer the lad...

Date 12/15/2007

Name of person interviewed Jackson

Type of Occupation LEO - specifically, Officer, Support Services

Level of Education just shy of my undergraduate degree

1. Explain how you found your current job? I was working as a provisional officer for the department after ten years as a reserve police officer. My contract as a provisional was going to expire and this job came open after the retirement of the person who held it previously.

2. What made you decide to enter into this career? Police work is sort of the family business, and I knew since I was 16 I wanted to do it.

3. What kind of special training does one need to have, in order to have a job like yours? In addition to a law enforcement academy, I also have extensive training in evidence collection, preservation, and processing. I also have completed training in addition to basic firearms for my ancillary duty as a firearms instructor for the department. I go to about 100 hours of training per year in the various disciplines I practice for my department.

4. What advice would you give to someone who is thinking of entering your profession? It isn't a job, it is a profession. If you believe you want to do it, pursue it. If you are looking for a job to do for a while, go away. If you do enter this profession, do so with an open mind and take every class you can. Be the best you can be, not the best you have to be.

5. What do you see as the job outlook for your profession? This profession will never go away and will never be replaced. The profession is becoming more complicated, and people who can do this job are becoming rare. If you are one such person, there will always be work for you.

6. What aspects of your occupation most appeal to you? I LOVE working with people. I would shrivel up and die if I didn't get to talk, teach, or interact with people in a real fashion. It doesn't get any more real than this.

7. What would you change about your job if you could? My specific job? More time on the street would be nice. The profession in general? I would change the way we hire and the way we train, starting with interested candidates in high school.

8. Are the skills of the job performed with people, data, or things? People, then data, then things.

9. What are the physical and psychological demands? Physical demands include long sedentary work with brief extreme physical exertions. Psychological demands are legion, and much more complicated then I could get into in a single post.

10. What types of organizations or industries employ people in this occupation? Only one. Law enforcement is the province of law enforcement agencies, of which there are multiple types.

11. What are the working conditions? Shift work, 24/7. Subject to call. Usually civil service and represented by a union or guild. Performed in every conceivable location and any conceivable time of day.

12. What are your personal interests? Does your occupation help you satisfy them? My person interests include education, psychology, and communications. Yes, I would say my occupation allows me great lattitude to satisfy my person interests.

13. What are the salary range and benefits (insurance, vacation, and fringe benefits) that you can expect? In my part of the world, between 40 and 70K per year depending on the department. Full coverage insurance (medical, dental, vision) for myself and my family. I get extra pay for firearms training, education, and overtime. I get 3 weeks of vacation and 13 paid holidays.

14. What are the personal benefits of your occupation? Nowhere else in the world except the military do I have the pleasure of working with as diverse and bright group of people who share a common mission. There is some prestige and personal pride, and there is the fact that I do some of what most cannot.

15. What did you have to give up in order to pursue your occupation? Was it worth it? Why? I surrendered very little, other than financially. I could be working at Microsoft like most of my friends and making three times what I am paid. Yes, it was worth it. No amount of money is worth the experiences I have had.

16. What kind of lifestyle does your occupation allow you? I have a decent upper middle class lifestyle.

17. What's the most amusing or embarrassing thing that's ever happened to you on the job? Oh boy, we don't have the space. My most embarrassing moments have been when I failed at something, and especially if you fail in front of your peers. This profession allows almost daily amusement, however.

18. What has been the biggest hurdle you've faced on the job, and how did you overcome it? I detest stupidity, and I have had to adjust my patience level because you see it daily.

19. What opportunities does your job offer for advancement? My specific assignment has little opportunity for promotion, but in this profession you can choose how far you want to rise by how much work you put towards that end. I was raised by a Chief, and have decided I am quite happy being a worker bee.

20. Why do people leave your occupation? The two main reasons are that they fuck up or they find out it wasn't what they expected. This profession requires integrity, and some fail the standard and are asked to move on. Others enter thinking it is one thing and find out it isn't.

21. What advice would you give to someone who wants an occupation like yours? Keep your life clean. Avoid drugs. Practice common sense. Get a good education about people. Serve in the military first, if possible.

22. What are some other occupations/careers that you can enter with your degree? Not many. I can consult, but the knowledge I possess is specialized.

23. How is your degree related to your current occupation/career? Could you work in your career without your degree? It isn't related at all, and yes this profession requires no degree for the most part.

24. How many years have you been in the workforce? __________years
    Since entering the workforce, list the careers that you had. I'm 35, and started working when I was 15. I've done a little bit of everything from the food industry to the customer service industry to the computer industry.

25. What type of pressure does the career/job put on your personal/family life? This really depends on the person, but I grew up in this profession and my wife knew it before we married. Some friends you used to have will wander off or not know what to talk to you about. You will see people differently, and in most cases see the world differently. If you have children, they will miss you a lot but be intensely proud of you. Your spouse may not like the fact that you see and hear things differently, even off duty. Your neighbors will always think of you as "the cop." People will have a hard time separating you from your profession, which can be unusual at first.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Mine was funnier, hmmph.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Mine was funnier, hmmph.
    Well, yeah.

I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Date 12/15/2007

Name of person interviewed Jackson

Type of Occupation LEO - specifically, Officer, Support Services

Level of Education just shy of my undergraduate degree

1. Explain how you found your current job? I was working as a provisional officer for the department after ten years as a reserve police officer. My contract as a provisional was going to expire and this job came open after the retirement of the person who held it previously.

2. What made you decide to enter into this career? Police work is sort of the family business, and I knew since I was 16 I wanted to do it.

3. What kind of special training does one need to have, in order to have a job like yours? In addition to a law enforcement academy, I also have extensive training in evidence collection, preservation, and processing. I also have completed training in addition to basic firearms for my ancillary duty as a firearms instructor for the department. I go to about 100 hours of training per year in the various disciplines I practice for my department.

4. What advice would you give to someone who is thinking of entering your profession? It isn't a job, it is a profession. If you believe you want to do it, pursue it. If you are looking for a job to do for a while, go away. If you do enter this profession, do so with an open mind and take every class you can. Be the best you can be, not the best you have to be.

5. What do you see as the job outlook for your profession? This profession will never go away and will never be replaced. The profession is becoming more complicated, and people who can do this job are becoming rare. If you are one such person, there will always be work for you.

6. What aspects of your occupation most appeal to you? I LOVE working with people. I would shrivel up and die if I didn't get to talk, teach, or interact with people in a real fashion. It doesn't get any more real than this.

7. What would you change about your job if you could? My specific job? More time on the street would be nice. The profession in general? I would change the way we hire and the way we train, starting with interested candidates in high school.

8. Are the skills of the job performed with people, data, or things? People, then data, then things.

9. What are the physical and psychological demands? Physical demands include long sedentary work with brief extreme physical exertions. Psychological demands are legion, and much more complicated then I could get into in a single post.

10. What types of organizations or industries employ people in this occupation? Only one. Law enforcement is the province of law enforcement agencies, of which there are multiple types.

11. What are the working conditions? Shift work, 24/7. Subject to call. Usually civil service and represented by a union or guild. Performed in every conceivable location and any conceivable time of day.

12. What are your personal interests? Does your occupation help you satisfy them? My person interests include education, psychology, and communications. Yes, I would say my occupation allows me great lattitude to satisfy my person interests.

13. What are the salary range and benefits (insurance, vacation, and fringe benefits) that you can expect? In my part of the world, between 40 and 70K per year depending on the department. Full coverage insurance (medical, dental, vision) for myself and my family. I get extra pay for firearms training, education, and overtime. I get 3 weeks of vacation and 13 paid holidays.

14. What are the personal benefits of your occupation? Nowhere else in the world except the military do I have the pleasure of working with as diverse and bright group of people who share a common mission. There is some prestige and personal pride, and there is the fact that I do some of what most cannot.

15. What did you have to give up in order to pursue your occupation? Was it worth it? Why? I surrendered very little, other than financially. I could be working at Microsoft like most of my friends and making three times what I am paid. Yes, it was worth it. No amount of money is worth the experiences I have had.

16. What kind of lifestyle does your occupation allow you? I have a decent upper middle class lifestyle.

17. What's the most amusing or embarrassing thing that's ever happened to you on the job? Oh boy, we don't have the space. My most embarrassing moments have been when I failed at something, and especially if you fail in front of your peers. This profession allows almost daily amusement, however.

18. What has been the biggest hurdle you've faced on the job, and how did you overcome it? I detest stupidity, and I have had to adjust my patience level because you see it daily.

19. What opportunities does your job offer for advancement? My specific assignment has little opportunity for promotion, but in this profession you can choose how far you want to rise by how much work you put towards that end. I was raised by a Chief, and have decided I am quite happy being a worker bee.

20. Why do people leave your occupation? The two main reasons are that they fuck up or they find out it wasn't what they expected. This profession requires integrity, and some fail the standard and are asked to move on. Others enter thinking it is one thing and find out it isn't.

21. What advice would you give to someone who wants an occupation like yours? Keep your life clean. Avoid drugs. Practice common sense. Get a good education about people. Serve in the military first, if possible.

22. What are some other occupations/careers that you can enter with your degree? Not many. I can consult, but the knowledge I possess is specialized.

23. How is your degree related to your current occupation/career? Could you work in your career without your degree? It isn't related at all, and yes this profession requires no degree for the most part.

24. How many years have you been in the workforce? __________years
    Since entering the workforce, list the careers that you had. I'm 35, and started working when I was 15. I've done a little bit of everything from the food industry to the customer service industry to the computer industry.

25. What type of pressure does the career/job put on your personal/family life? This really depends on the person, but I grew up in this profession and my wife knew it before we married. Some friends you used to have will wander off or not know what to talk to you about. You will see people differently, and in most cases see the world differently. If you have children, they will miss you a lot but be intensely proud of you. Your spouse may not like the fact that you see and hear things differently, even off duty. Your neighbors will always think of you as "the cop." People will have a hard time separating you from your profession, which can be unusual at first.

^^^ What he said. err close enough anyway.

Seriously though, stick around a while here on LEF. It is a good source for a young sheep-pup to learn some things.

If you follow your goal to become a LEO, you will understand where we are coming from and why we don't typically open up to strangers asking questions.

Good luck on your assignment, and see you around.

"Stupid should hurt."

Gustin is offline Rookie
    Nice picture Countrybear, made me lol.
    Shesh, this thread just keeps going and going and going :P
    hehe Illiy, nice how you put the:
    WARNING:

**Don't really do that**

Do you really think anyone would be THAT stupid?

Thank you very much Maclean Much appreciated, and yeah fire fighters get to sit on their asses a lot, and paid to sleep/clean the house and trucks. But they also pull hugely long shifts fighting fires a few times a year when they are bad, like this last one where the entire state was on fire. Also with the need for more emergency responders in medical runs these days, I see the fire fighters out a lot more around here.

Thanks again Maclean, and everyone have a great day!

Cross240 is offline Temporarily Civilianized
    hmm.... Aint he the ONLY non LEO thats Stayed after all the sarcasm and laughing? He's not even cussed at 5-0 or anybody........that gives the boy points in my book.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter. -- Ernest Hemingway

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I just hope his check doesn't bounce.
    I'm your huckleberry...

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    ... and yeah fire fighters get to sit on their asses a lot, and paid to sleep/clean the house and trucks. ...
    I think this guy might fit in here at LEF if he sticks around...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cross240 View Post
    hmm.... Aint he the ONLY non LEO thats Stayed after all the sarcasm and laughing? He's not even cussed at 5-0 or anybody........that gives the boy points in my book.
    That is a good point. You have to have thick skin in this line of work. You need it to survive the other cops that "like" you. So far he has taken his lumps well, and I respect that.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cross240 View Post
    hmm.... Aint he the ONLY non LEO thats Stayed after all the sarcasm and laughing?
    There are others.

bufford408 is offline Just green and furry all over
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    There are others.

And we are glad you are still here Jenna.
    The opinions of my posts are the sole responsibilty of my employer due to the fact that they have totally and completely warped my mind.

Gustin is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    I just hope his check doesn't bounce.
    I'll have you know my checks are always good!

As for the cussing out 5-0...NEVER! I'm a fucking

Well...maybe not so much...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information