Welcome to the APBWeb.
    kublid is offline Rookie

Simple question regarding LE opportunity

Hello all. I apoligize if this type of question has been answered many times, I did attempt to search before posting.

The simple question is, Do I have a shot ANYWHERE to contribute to the LE community in any capicaty with my background?

I ask such a vauge question due to the fact that i have a jaded past. I was your typical teenage rebel. I got in plenty of trouble, I could provide a list of excuses why, but they're just that, excusues.

Anyhow, when I turned 18, I did my best to become a law abiding & contributing(sp?) citizen. About 8 years ago, as an adult, I had a serious lapse of judgement and got into a scuffle at a bar. i was charged with a felony (most of you can stop reading here and answer NO WAY), although ajudication was withheld, I was still charged and I guess convicted. Since then, nothing more than a traffic ticket.

Anyhow, here I am eight years later and would throughly enjoy to be someway involved with Law Enforcement. Through all of my mishaps as a teenager and as an adult, I have ALWAYS had the upmost respect for the officers I've ever been in contact with.

Okay, so there is the lenghtly story. My assumption is I have no shot in hell, but I figure i would actually inquire to the community. Thank you all in advance for any replies and or suggestions.

Dan

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Dan,

Before you get any replies from the members here, you are gonna have to introduce yourself first.

We have a Intro thread, that you should complete before posting any threads.
    We are a close nit family here, and we encourage you to simply do a intro, then ask questions.
    Thanks for your interest!

K9max
    Site Moderator
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by kublid View Post
    The simple question is, Do I have a shot ANYWHERE to contribute to the LE community in any capicaty with my background?
    I think it would help if you told us what state you are in. In North Carolina, with a felony conviction, you are not eligible to be a law enforcement officer.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This also applies in Washington.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

kublid is offline Rookie
    K-9 - Absolutley - Headed to that thread now.

Terminator - I'm in FL now. But I am absolutley willing to travel and move if there was ANYWHERE to get my foot in the door.

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    although ajudication was withheld, I was still charged and I guess convicted. Since then, nothing more than a traffic ticket.
    Without knowing the extent of your "jaded" past it will be hard to give a useful answer to your question. Also the quote I used from your post makes me think that you need to know if you were or were not convicted of a felony BIG DIFFERENCE
    Iwill say this that if you do attempt to enter into this field you need to be honest with any potental agencies you apply with.

Best of Luck to you.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Considering also that you were charged and it sounds like convicted with a felony crime of violence, you would be prohibited in all 50 States from carrying a weapon, federally.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

kublid is offline Rookie
    Thank you all for the quick replies!

The answers are all what I figured and had previously researched.

As far as the conviction, I pleaded No Contest and adjudication was withheld. I think that I am considered a "felon"

But, aren't both "the right to vote" and " posses a firearm" both taken away from felons? i know I CAN vote, but I've never tried to posses a firearm.

If Maclean is correct, which I assume he is, then that answers my previous question.

Another question, any other capacity that anyone would recommend for me?

will the felony haunt me for life?

I've worked in "corporate America" since I was 18, almost 30 now, and would love a career that was challenging, rewarding, and fulfilling.

Ahhh, if I could only do it all over again.

Thanks everyone!

Dan

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You could seek a restoration of your firearms possession rights, given 8 years of clean living.

As of the moment, you are prohibited under 18 US Code, in addition to any State laws that apply.

I'm not a voting rights expert, no idea about that.
    I'm your huckleberry...

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Inmates in State and Federal prisons, and maybe county jails do not have a right to vote.

Try private security work, police reserves (if your eligible), corrections (if your eligible), home security, etc, etc.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If you pled "no contest" to a felony, you are very likely a convicted felon, which bars you from possession of a weapon under 18 USC, just as maclean pointed out, and that is enough to bar you from employment in law enforcement, just as Terminator pointed out.

Your juvenile record alone probably wouldn't have, but an adult conviction for a felony certainly would everywhere that I know of.

Don't look at it as a disappointment, it is a blessing in disguise. Were you to have had a lapse in judgement like that as a law enforcement officer, you would have likely faced five years additional incarceration thanks to an added offense of malfeasance in office (in most states), and added personal liability exposure federally under what's called a 1983 action, (were you to have been even remotely considered as violating civil rights while acting under "color of law" at the time of your unfortunate bar incident). Even perhaps more damning, the incident would have certainly been covered in the local news media as a "cop gone wild", and you'd have trouble even buying another job in any field after that.

There are a lot of great things about a law enforcement career, but the high standards of conduct (both on or off duty, no matter) and penalties for failing to meet those standards under the stressful conditions of the job can be forbidding for even what is considered by most to be "the average citizen". LE agency administrations live in fear of an excessive use of force by a member of the department, and literally consider a new hire to be a bit of a gamble, even with perfectly clean prior records. This is why most agencies rely upon extensive hiring processes which include polygraph testing and psychological evaluations of new candidates. They call it "due diligence". The doctrine of "negligent entrustment" weighs in heavily anytime there is even an allegation of excessive use of force against a member of the department.

Consider it from the department's perspective: We (the department) issued this guy (or gal) a firearm (contrary to federal statute) and either had knowledge (or should have had knowledge) of his (or her) history of violent or criminal behavior, yet we placed them in a position to affect society ias an extension of governmental authority. No insult intended, but you'd be a severe liability risk to any department that ventured to hire you.

I'd rather give it to you straight than try to sugarcoat it.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

kublid is offline Rookie
    CountyBear -

Thank you very much for the reply. Your point of view was quite interesting and eye opening. I can completely agree with the points that you made. I hadn't looked at it from the other side of the fence.

Again, thank you all for the quick and informative responses. I pretty much assumed what all of you have stated. Just wanted to hear it from professionals in this line of work day to day.

Even though I can't join you all, I certainly can attempt to support in any way possible.

Thanks again to all for the warm welcome and informative point of views!!

Dan

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Just curious on the felony thing.Did you plead guilty,or did you plead "Noelle Contentre"sp,which means No Contest, ala/Spiro T. Agnew-former VP under Nixon.If so,you may stand a small chance as (my understanding) is Noelle,means basically,"Hey,lets get this crap over with ,I have other fish to fry",and is NOT in and of itself considered a conviction.

Also,what was the felony ? Was this a crime against property,or a crime against person??That may come into the equation also.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    CountyBear -

Thank you very much for the reply. Your point of view was quite interesting and eye opening. I can completely agree with the points that you made. I hadn't looked at it from the other side of the fence.

Again, thank you all for the quick and informative responses. I pretty much assumed what all of you have stated. Just wanted to hear it from professionals in this line of work day to day.

Even though I can't join you all, I certainly can attempt to support in any way possible.

Thanks again to all for the warm welcome and informative point of views!!

Dan
    Not a problem, Dan. Your question was well thought out and respectfully stated. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to you, even if perhaps we weren't able to do so favorably.

There are many other ways that you can serve your community without strapping on a sidearm, though. EMS and fire services are much in need of intelligent, qualified, and dedicated candidates. Community groups, neighborhood watches, civic organizations are all desperate for members who will be active and devoted to their laudible causes. Don't let your past bar you from serving right where you live. There are many opportunities to give of yourself to others that are just as fulfilling, even more rewarding, and much less critical of your past.

I wish you well.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Speak with an attorney. Discuss the probability of expungement.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information