Welcome to the APBWeb.
    DirtySancho is offline Rookie

NOOB, with a newbie question

Howdy from Texas! 1st post, so I hope everyone treats the newbie with the utmost delicacy and care.

I had hopes to join the military after high school, but I was not able to do so because of some difficult situations with my family. And now that I am a young married man(24 yrs) my wife and I have decided that the military would not be a good option for me. I am planning on applying for my local PD probably in April. I am very confident in my ability (hopefully not too overconfident) to handle anything that the academy or daily police work can throw at me. I have wanted to become an officer ever since I was very young.

However, I have some concerns that they might not accept me. When I was younger I was treated for ADD. I took redalen for a couple of years in school, and recently have been taking something to treat ADD in adults.

My major concern is that when they look at my medical history it will really looked bad to whoever is making a decision of who to accept.

Is this something I should worry about?

Or is this something that I shouldn't worry about and tell why give them a reason to not accept me?

Your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Illiy is offline Corporal
    I'm going to go with Welcome to the group!
    FIGHT ON!

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    When my kind come to rule this planet your name shall be put on a list, a protected list, and no harm shall come to you.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    I would not worry about it too much. I don't see it as being a big issue, just disclose it on your background. However I would expect them to question you on it. Do you believe that it would effect your ability to work?

Its up to the department though.
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Welcome and that is something that if you are honest about then if it is under control then you may have a shot.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Hello and welcome!

I don't think I'm going have any problem with doing the work for keeping up in the academy. I am a diligent and driven person and it hasn't affected any other job that had. the effects of my ADD have most noticeable in my personal life. Particularly in my marriage. (Don't get me wrong I have a wonderful marriage.) The medication I'm currently on is very effective at treating ADD

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The others have posted excellent responses, so I won't repeat.

However please do check out our FAQ's and post an introduction in the introduction thread.

Otherwise, welcome to LEF
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    That's really a departmental based issue. Some may have a problem with it, some may not.

I can't imagine it would bar you from law enforcement though, just be sure to be honest and disclose the information. Lying or concealing the truth is a guarentee not to get hired everywhere.

Welcome to LEF.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    I will say that I have ADD and so do most cops, you shouldnt have a problem with it. The one concern of the dept is what medication you are on now.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK View Post
    I will say that I have ADD and so do most cops, you shouldnt have a problem with it. The one concern of the dept is what medication you are on now.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    There *are* a lot of police officers with ADD.

I know two personally, and one I think is but not diagnosed.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm pretty sure I have OCD, if that matters at all.

I can NOT walk away from my house without checking both exterior doors more than once to make sure they're locked.

I normally walk out of the house, lock and check the front door, walk to the back, check that door, walk to the front, check that door, and then I'll normally leave. Sometimes I'll hit that back door once more.

Also, I stop home normally once or twice when I'm working to check them and make sure they're locked.....

No idea why. Oh well. It's not a burden on my life. Yet.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We all have issues, or this job would not appeal.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    I dont know,he asks a question,and than goes 3 days 3 posts???? recheck the meds dude.

smokey703 is offline I'm Bi-WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Verified LEO
    I have ADD and OOOHHHH look a butterfly. Darn what was I saying again????? Oh yeah, I have ADD.
    Wise men stand behind me, brave men stand beside me, but only fools stand against me.

The force that propels you to prevail when you are put to a test of survival will be a mindset that refuses to accept nothing but winning.

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap that motherf*cker upside the head.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    It's been covered...

Each department will make it's own decision on something like ADD. The thing that WILL kill your chances is trying to hide it or lie about it. Even if they didn't discover you lied before you got hired -- you'd have to work the rest of your career in fear that it would come out. Not worth it. Disclose it, disclose the meds, and they'll probably let a doctor or psychologist make the decision.

Can you go off the meds and be functional? What'd happen if you missed doses because you got held over at work? Those are probably going to be major areas of concern...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

smokey703 is offline I'm Bi-WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Verified LEO
    Seriously though, I have ADD and since I am subject to random drug screenings I was honest and up front with my employer. Jks brought up some very good points.
    Wise men stand behind me, brave men stand beside me, but only fools stand against me.

The force that propels you to prevail when you are put to a test of survival will be a mindset that refuses to accept nothing but winning.

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap that motherf*cker upside the head.

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    There *are* a lot of police officers with ADD.

I know two personally, and one I think is but not diagnosed.
    YA RLY! I work with one guy who is a shit magnet, and he pops his pill(s) every day right after roll call- great way to start the day!
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

Detective7653 is offline Police Detective
    I think you will fit right in with the rest of the ADD people on many polce departments, hell have the people in my department I think have adult ADD, welcome aboard
    Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friend. John 15:13

Thanks everyone for the encouraging replies. I'm looking for to applying at my local PD in a few months. If they don't accept me for whatever reason I will go ahead and apply at some a couple of other departments in the area to a least get my foot in the door.

Thread Information