Welcome to the APBWeb.
    cmeyer is offline Rookie

Conservation law enforcement

I have been considering a career change for the last year or so and I'm interested in law enforcement, but I wasn't sure what type of job would best suit me. Then the other day it hit me, why not conservation law, I love the outdoors and I enjoy many of the activities that these officers help protect. But I can't find some of the information I want online, I was hoping that I could find someone here that worked in this field that would be willing to help me out. It would also be a big plus to find someone that was from here in Indiana that could help me with some of my questions. Thank you!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm from MN, but here are some links to get you started:

http://www.in.gov/dnr/lawenfor/career/index.html

http://www.in.gov/dnr/lawenfor/career/faq.html

http://www.in.gov/dnr/lawenfor/contact/index.html

I do not know if we have any Game Wardens or DNR officials that frequent LEF, but I'm sure many of the LEO's here can provide you with additional, state specific information.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cmeyer View Post
    I can't find some of the information I want online, I was hoping that I could find someone here that worked in this field that would be willing to help me out.
    Will you be applying to a specific dept in Indiana? (DNR) Or are you looking for an LEO career out of state as well? If you post specific questions, some of our members may be able to help.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    They are called Mud Marshals or Rabbit Sheriffs down here. Don't get paid as much as sodme Depts ,but are a State Agency,m so get some of the state perks most others don't get. But, the $$$$ ain't everything. Get a Pick-em-up truck, boat, ATV (sometimes), get to play in the woods, at the beach, lakes, etc. Sure beats the midnight shift. Don't know any that once in, want to quit; fact is, a lot take a good pay cut.

cmeyer is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by vengeance05 View Post
    Will you be applying to a specific dept in Indiana? (DNR) Or are you looking for an LEO career out of state as well? If you post specific questions, some of our members may be able to help.
    Ideally, I would like to get in the Indiana DNR program, but I haven't totally ruled out going out of state either or even joining a local department until something opened up. I have looked at all the requirements to be eligible for hire, but I was more curious as to the actual on the job duties that aren't written down. I really want to know aspects of the job that you can't read on a website, things that only those doing the job can tell you, and just getting some personal experience stories as to why you love or hate the job you are doing, you know the good and the bad of the job. I know that it probably sounds like I want to get really personal about it, but for me, if I decide to do this, it's a huge career change for me and I want to be as sure as I can about it before I jump in head first. And to give you all just a little background on me, I have been working in a manufacturing and warehousing environment for the last 10years, its pretty much all i've done since high school and I am getting really bored with sitting behind a desk crunching numbers all day, and the farther I've gone with this company the more boring my job gets. I'm looking for something that's a little more unpredicatable, something that allows me to get out and move around, I hate being cooped up in this building all day. Aside from that I have a wife, and 2 little girls that this would be a huge change for as well, my wife is behind me 100% and I'm lucky to have the support, so now it's just a matter of deciding to take that next step or continue doing what i've always done.

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    DNR guys (or being a Conservation Officer as they call it) is for some reason fiercely competetive, and the academy for the ICOs is pretty intense. When I was at ILEA the COs were in class and they lost 22 out of a class of like 45 from washing out. I can't see why anyone would want to do that, but like every other thing in LE there are good and bad no matter waht agency you are there for I guess. Good luck.

With that aside, I know your situation. Had an awesome and very well paying job but bored off my ass sitting in a cube working 60 hours a week. Decided to take the plunge and never looked back (well except for the extra 20 K I could have made).. but again, I love what I am doing now.

PM me if I can help you sort this out!
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

Deputy Joe is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Good luck. It has got to be a tough job to get into. I would say it is even tougher to get hired than regular law enforcement.

At our department we have snowmobile and boat patrol. I would think a lot of departments officer extra hours in those areas. I don't know if that is enough to keep you happy.

What about park law enforcement? I did that for a few summers and it was great.

cmeyer is offline Rookie
    Last night I spoke with one of the Local CO's and he gave me a lot of good information. It appears as if it is going to be a challenging experience to try and get hired on. Apparently they only hire every 3 years/ or when a minimum of 10 openings ocurr. then if you do get on, advancing within your district is tough since most of the Lt.'s and Sgt.'s typically stay until retirement. So now its a matter of deciding if this is what I really want and going for it. Thanks everyone for all of your help!

Thread Information