Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Which patrol car has the best overall performance?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

34 53.13%
  • Chevrolet Imapala

4 6.25%
  • Dodge Charger

23 35.94%
  • Other (Specify)

3 4.69%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    CW Mock is offline Trooper
    Verified LEO
    Our experience with the Charger in snow is that if fares MUCH better than the CVPI does. Probably has something to do with the traction control. My CVPIs (all 3 I have had) suck hard in the snow.

The Chargers all seem to keep moving when our CVPIs are spinning their wheels.

TXCharlie ... yes, the CVPI handles like a boat. You really have to be on them to get any kind of handling out of them. Then again, there are not many cheap ass grandma cars out there that have power and handling. Unfortunately, said cheapo cars are what we get.
    "I have an open door policy on tickets ... if I have to open my door, you are getting a ticket. If I turn on those lights, somebody has to pay the electric bill."

The opinions given in my posts and comments
    DO NOT reflect any of the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "CW Mock" on LEF/Officer Resource.

NCC1701 is offline Meat Popsicle
    For "performance" the Charger kicks the CVPI's ass.

For all around usability and usefulness I take my CVPI. It has more room and works well in hot weather patrol here in TX.
    I have driven both the Charger and the CVPI, riding in a CV the last 6 years.
    As I have said a billion times if you put a Hemi in the CVPI you would have one kick ass car.
    I don't like repeat offenders I like DEAD offenders-
    Ted Nugent

Make the world a better place....punch a hippie in the face!

Former member of Cortinian Liberation Front and the JSA MACHATOC.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Cool - I just found recently that the town is getting some Chargers with V-8 Hemi's for our traffic cops... Now they need to get some traffic cops to drive them, because I think they've all quit.

Whether their quitting had anything to do with the town buying those Impallas, I don't know - but the time period coincides

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

aviator090 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OffDuty View Post
    That said, I will still donate a testicle for a black & white charger with single seat cage and LED lightbar
    LMMFAOWHMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Dunno why but I have heard that before but it just really got me...

That was some funny shit right there.

Kpdpipes is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    IMO the old Square-profile Pre-1990 Chevy Caprices.. but then again im an old fart.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I've only driven CVPI for a patrol car. 2 years in Investigations driving a Ford Taurus SHO- that little dude would run!

Motorway: I gotta say a Volvo or a Beemer would be a sweet ride, but hearing that thing scream "EEEAAA,EEEAAA,EEEAA,EEEAA A" kind of takes a little bit away for me bro.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Sorry Guys but I'm old school I still like the Dodge Polara with the 440Mag Interceptor. I've clocked 107 on radar from a stop and still caught the perp. I had one guy go through at 86 in a 40 while parked. he got on the highway kept his foot in it and took the first offramp looked in his mirror as he was making the turn at the bottom of the ramp and saw me in a 4 wheel drift right on his bumper. Gave it up right then & went to jail. God chases were fun.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    I've driven the following on duty, in uniformed patrol:

2001 Chevy Impala: POS. Okay acceleration, okay top speed and handling (for FWD), shitty reliability (I broke motor mounts, tranny parts, suspension) no room inside for my big ass 6'3"/215-230

2003 Dodge Intrepid: Fast car, okay handling, decent top speed, crappy interior controls, fall apart like an Impala.

1994 Mustang GT with a 347 stroker and 5-speed: Fast as a MOFO. Pain in the ass manual tranny with a stiff as Dual Friction clutch (we seized it) no prisoner transports in the back seat (no cage) so folks had to ride up front. Broke down periodically with 120,xxx on the clock.

2001-2007 CVPI: Can be quicker, other than that, best patrol CAR

2004 Dodge Durango with a 360: Best all around package except for the MPG.

2002 Explorer: My favorite. If it had a 4.6 V8 instead of the fucking 4.0L it would be perfect! Needed a speed limiter removal too as it topped out at 105.

2008 Expedition: Slow off the line, slow top speed, crappy handling, crappy brakes, great roominess for me and the butthole behind me plus all of our shit (40mm, LL 870, ballistic shield, frags, etc)

I'd kill for an unmarked Explorer that goes 130 mph.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've only driven the CVPI and the Charger. Out of the 2 I would pick the Crown Vic. It has more room. I can actually put the rifle and shotgun up front. You can see out of it. With all our gear, officers, and scumbag(s) it won't bottom out. I've driven an 06 Charger and 2 07 Chargers for patrol. All three have left me hanging. I couldn't fit in it. I couldn't get a perp in the back because of lack of room. The 06 got its motor rebuilt twice by 80,000 miles. Lots of breaking down. The hesitation you feel as you accelerate always gets to me. You can't fit equipment in them. Had difficulty with the seat belt with my gear on. No leg room in it. And once loaded down with people and gear it felt like the CVPI handled better. Nothing worse then having 4 people in a charger and your rear tires are scraping the wheel wells. The max capacity for it with gear is 850lbs. Can't the Tranny fluid because it is sealed. Dodge told me they charge people and agencies about $500.00 to check it. And after the last 2 dodges I owned (a Ram and Dakota) I'm NEVER going to have one again!

Of course I still usually drive the old Bronco we have with 160,000 miles

Phil

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by aviator090 View Post
    LMMFAOWHMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Dunno why but I have heard that before but it just really got me...

That was some funny shit right there.

Yeah..but I was serious!

(actually better throw in a push bar too if I only get one nubby left)
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
    Sorry Guys but I'm old school I still like the Dodge Polara with the 440Mag Interceptor. I've clocked 107 on radar from a stop and still caught the perp. I had one guy go through at 86 in a 40 while parked. he got on the highway kept his foot in it and took the first offramp looked in his mirror as he was making the turn at the bottom of the ramp and saw me in a 4 wheel drift right on his bumper. Gave it up right then & went to jail. God chases were fun.
    Good Lord what year was that? I want to compare numbers on that vs a Charger/CVPI. No fcuking way that car would outhandle either one of those!
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

Bama512 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I've driven several police vehicles and find that all of them have there own problems and strengths.

I first started as a youth volunteer and reserve officer (1991-1997) then went to the academy in 1998 as a regular.

1984-87 Crown Vic: Boxy, no doubt it was the police behind ya. These cars were slow to accelerate...RPM's built up...then all the sudden the transmission shifted and you gained some speed. Once ran code to the scene of a murder and the highest our '86 would run was 96 MPH. Of course, it was 5 years old with about 120,000 miles on her. We had the big silver speaker on top where people for miles could hear us coming

1988 Caprice - Car would scream! We could clock a speeder, turn around on them and be on their bumper in no time. This particular car had a problem at times shifting in reverse by itself while sitting still on traffic stops, etc. It was well worn (5 years old) at a city PD that had 24 hour a day cars...no take homes.

1990 Crown Vic - Still a box, but was like riding on a cloud. Seemed a little faster than the older units (maybe because it was new).

1992-1997 Crown Vics - My favorite body style. I had the best visibility out of these and knew what to expect out of the car. The brakes weren't the best.

1993 Caprice with the 350 engine.....Only patrol car I ever drove that barked tires when changing gears! Nobody got away! It had a lot of electrical problems tho. I got it as a rookie out of the academy in 1998 with 204,000 miles on the odometer....no joke.

1995 Caprice with the 305 engine. I called this one the little engine that couldn't! I couldn't catch a kid on a bicycle. Wouldn't spin tires on wet pavement. Stayed in the shop.

First brand new patrol car was a '99 crown vic. I didn't like the higher hood and changes to the back windows, but it was a good car. Seemed the bigger brakes made a difference.

When I first started at my current department as a part timer, I was issued an '02 red civillian vic. It had the leather seats, automatic climate control, and premium sound system in it. It used to be a county commissioner's car. That took some getting used to. It was the only vic I have seen with digital dash. The handling was much different. It had some mechanical problems and was eventually given to the fire dept.

I now have a 2005 CVPI and it does me pretty good. I have the Tomar light/siren controller, which I cannot tell if it is on or off in the daylight and the siren sounds odd. The Tomar Blade lightbar is sweet, tho.

My chief let me drive his '08 Charger with the HEMI...it is nice. I would seriously have to get used to the blind spots where the front pillars meet the dash. Other than that, it seemed like a great car. MUCH faster acceleration than my vic.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Performance wise the Charger is king of the hill. We got 16 this year for evaluation purposes. I would prefer the Police Package Tahoe. The handle well with the stiffer suspension and they are lowered to also handle better. Carrying all the police stuff is no problem. I work both rural and urban areas so this is the best of both worlds. I read one of the Police mags awhile back and it outperformed the CV in performance and even fuel economy I believe. The PP Tahoe is my first choice followed by the Charger. I have been driving a brand new CV for the past year.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Since I am retired I will hold my vote, but will comment, in the 80's my favorite patrol car was the Plymouth Fury, they eventually did away with the Plymouths and went with the Chevy Caprice, which had great engines but unfortunately nothing else in that car held up to the wear and tear of Patrol and eventually the interior and exterior looked like crap.

Check out this video, NYC Police 2007 Vintage Car Show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLDvePA__7E

ryan36002 is offline Senior Officer
    Verified LEO
    I'm not that big a follower of specs and performance data but my favorate patrol car was a 2003 Durango. The one I drove hauled ass, cornered well, went anywhere, was comfortable and roomy. I don't have one to drive so for me it is beside the point.

I voted for the CVPI for various reasons. I have never driven the Charger and I hated every minute of driving the Impala. To me, the CVPI just says COP. I consider it a command presence of sorts.
    "You will learn more with your ears than you will your mouth!"

AngryBassets is offline Sgt. Phatas
    Our chargers have the V6. I'd give up the brand new, 1500 mile Charger for one of our ragged-out, 120k 2003 CVPIs in a heartbeat.
    "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    --George Orwell
    NOTE: NJ Supreme Court no longer allows effective policing in the "Garden State". The above statement may not apply.

CW Mock is offline Trooper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by OffDuty View Post
    Good Lord what year was that? I want to compare numbers on that vs a Charger/CVPI. No fcuking way that car would outhandle either one of those!
    I don't know what year his was but ...

The 1969 Dodge Polara with the 440 was the fastest police car built until the Camaro and the '94 Caprice. It could get from 0-60 in about 6 seconds, and had a top speed of or above 147MPH - all of this in a full size 4,000+ pound four door sedan. The CHiP had a "tuned" model that was not beaten performance wise until the '94 Caprice as far as a straight line. Pretty amazing when you figure in the car was geared for acceleration, and not overall top speed.

As for handling, none of those old cars can match our new computer controlled and power assisted bullshit we have under the hood. However, it would leave our precious little Chargers in the dust. When we hit 60, it would be passing 90, and have more than 20 miles per hour in the top end than our Vics and Impalas.

For highway work, that '69 Polara would be king of the hill. My biggest gripe with the Vic is that its godawful slow all the way around for highway work. The Charger, while neat eye candy, has turned out to be another turd from Chrysler, not really great for police work or heavy abuse.

Edit:
    Here is a snippet on the 1969 Polara:

Squads in this era were normally available as two- and four- door sedans in lowest trim levels, and were available in base or pursuit-class versions. There were also Emergency Wagons, specially modified station wagons.
    1969 was the year of the ultimate squad; for a quarter century afterwards, nothing could match its performance capability - the 1969 Polara Pursuit. This was the apex of the high-power era, the last year before lower compression engines and tightening emisions requirements. The 1969 Polara Pursuit, with its 375 bhp 440, sleek new "fuselage" bodystyle, and standard 3.23 axle, could do 0-60 in 6.3 seconds, the quarter mile in 14.3 seconds (at over 99 mph), and run out to a top speed of (or, by some accounts, above) 147 mph!
    It took a 25 years, a Corvette engine, and a four-speed transmission for any other police cruiser to match these figures. In LAPD use, the 383-engined Belvedere Pursuit was extremely successful and well-liked, gaining the (accurate) nickname "four-door Roadrunner".
    Why the 1969 CHP Polara was such a big deal (by Mike Sealey)
    It held the record on the Chrysler test track in Chelsea, MI, until 1994 for highest top end achieved by a factory-built 4 door sedan (149.6 mph). The record was eventually broken by a 1994 Caprice with an LT1 but it took 25 years and a Corvette engine to finally do it.
    CHP and LAPD were prized enough customers that Chrysler made specific parts for each department, factory part numbers and all. CHP even had its own cam grind among other things.
    Had there been a 1970, the Polara might have been even hotter. California Governor Ronald Reagan was insistent that all state agencies buy from different sources at least once in a while... CHP got 428 Mercury Montereys in 1970. These were a disappointment. (My uncle the former CHP officer tells me Chrysler tried to convince CHP to enter into a 5-year contract, and offered to make stuff even beyond what they actually made if they could convince CHP to do so, but the state refused to go beyond year-by-year.) (A reader wrote: “These were purpose built for the CHP and the Missouri Highway Patrol. They were not available to the public. It was quite fast and had no power steering making it unwieldy around town.”)
    The 1971 was a little less powerful, although not as (relatively) gutless as the 1972 and later. Chevron dropped its high-octane Custom Supreme gasoline in 1970-71 to start marketing unleaded from that pump. The 1971 had just a fraction lower compression ratio, made necessary by lower octane premium fuel.
    "I have an open door policy on tickets ... if I have to open my door, you are getting a ticket. If I turn on those lights, somebody has to pay the electric bill."

The opinions given in my posts and comments
    DO NOT reflect any of the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "CW Mock" on LEF/Officer Resource.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    [quote=maclean;319712]I think the definitive answer is given every year at the Michigan State Patrol tests.

If I recall correctly this year the Charger ate all comers.

Can't comment on BMW's, most States require a domestic auto for the state bid price. Also, those things look way too small to hold all our shit, a cage, a rifle, and a cop over 6 foot.[/quote]

Sounds like I'd be okay, and it would be a blast to pull someone over on the highway with a BMW.

I've really only driven the CV, but I'll take my 08 CV over the 00 I had with the slipping tranny, 7 working cylinders, and weak alternator anyday.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

kannahspapa is offline An old cop the kids call Grandpa.
    Verified LEO
    My take home ride is an '03 CV with 123000 on her. She handles well and is faster than the '08's we just bought. There's plenty of room in there for me, radios, toughbook, gear, and extra paperwork. In my part-time gig I drive an '00 impala that we just put a new v-6 in. It handles well but it's a tight fit. Put them side to side and I'll go with the CV. I drove an Expedition that we had and I found it to be a little on the top heavy side. We have a 1965 Harley 3-wheeler that's fun, but it's only used for parades. I think that it was last used on a regular basis back in the 70's for parking enforcement. The retired copper that used is now on our city council and we let him lead the parades

n30
    n30 is offline A woman in man's job; but always a lady ;-)
    Verified LEO
    way out sw fl by the everglades. im over it
    when i started i got an old 87 chevy; he was a beast, cars were actually made of metal back then and he could book it! no kill switch.. had him topped out at almost 130 going down the blvd going to a violent domestic clear across the city on mids... (of course back then, people actually slept at night & no traffic at all to speak of) lol new cars have no oooommmppphhhh!

anybody drive a real cool fancy smancy car like they do in beverly hills... a porche no less!
    V

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information