Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Which patrol car has the best overall performance?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

34 53.13%
  • Chevrolet Imapala

4 6.25%
  • Dodge Charger

23 35.94%
  • Other (Specify)

3 4.69%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Which patrol car has the best overall performance?

Which patrol car has the overall best performance?

1) Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

2) Chevrolet Impala

3) Dodge Charger

4) Other

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Not really going to be a fair survey,cause I,and I am sure several others,have only had the chance to drive one or the other.A buddy on another dept.swears by the Charger and its power.Personally,I have been in my 04 CVPI for about 2 years now,and on these rural,winding highways we have it does extremely well,especiall since they moved the suspensions around.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I haven't been in anything other than a Cv.

BUT, the Charger has to handle better than a Vic. My Ram has the same engine as the Charger and my truck screams. I can't imagine how fast the Charger since it's geared as a car.

The Cv is an underpowered, under steered pig. You can make them go fast and make them fast in the corners, but it takes a ton of driver input.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Hannah87 is offline Giggidy... Giggidy..
    Verified LEO
    We have an Impala and a Stratus. The Stratus SUCKS. I've ridden in a Crown Vic and that drives well. But, the impala is really roomy.
    May you rest in peace Daddy and may you never hurt again. I love you and miss you and can't wait to see you again.

12/12/44- 2/26/09

CW Mock is offline Trooper
    Verified LEO
    I have only worked in a Dodge for a day, and it was far more powerful and responsive than the CVPI I usually drive is. It seemed to handle a bit "easier" too - like some of the others said, it takes a lot of input to get a CVPI to corner well.

My biggest gripes with the CVPI are the terrible acceleration and low top speeds. 0 to 129 MPH in six days is not great for a highway car. The Charger is faster, but more importantly, it gets there a lot faster.
    "I have an open door policy on tickets ... if I have to open my door, you are getting a ticket. If I turn on those lights, somebody has to pay the electric bill."

The opinions given in my posts and comments
    DO NOT reflect any of the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "CW Mock" on LEF/Officer Resource.

Whitepaw is offline Student of Life
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    I drove these vehicles. Crown Vic. Slow but steady, like a lead sled. Takes a beating, keeps on going. Has power after 60 mph. Very slow start, you can hear the tranny whinning. Shifts slow and a little weak. Has lots of trunk room. Tops out at about 140 mph.

Dodge Durango, "Dodge" quick, (Hemi), a little top heavy, has power, tops out at 120 mph. Good for K-9. Has okay room in cargo bay.

Chevy Tahoe. Quick, has guts, a little top heavy. Has plenty of room. Tops out at approx. 130.

Chevy Impala. Okay quickness, nothing to brag about. Room, okay, engine, a little weak. Hugs the road okay. No guts. Top end apporx. 120 mph maybe.

Dodge Charger. Hemi, fast, quick, guts. top end 150 mph plus. Hugs the road. Shifts very strong, you can switch to manual or auto and back if need power for cornering or engine breaking. Room, okay, trunk room sucks.

I like the Dodge Charger even if the trunk room sucks. I just gotta down size the "stuff" I carry around. This is one sonny beach of a car. Love it.

Whitepaw
    "God Bless America"

"I have no words of wisdom, therefore I listen..."

Code6 is offline Beep,Beep!!!
    Verified LEO
    I have driven, The Vic, Impala, Charger, Durango, Tahoe and Expedition. Hands down, the Charger out performs all of them. The one thing with the Charger is that it doesn't hop curbs very well. Its sprung so stiff, we've been cracking the welds on the cross member under the engine. Other wise it is simply Awesome!
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it really is all about?

Police others as you would have them Police you.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    I've heard a lot of bad things about the Chargers from some folks who use them... Can't say I've had any personal experiences with them. The Impala just doesn't do it for me.

Crown Vics work, and have adequete top-end power for my urban area. But, they handle like a slime covered sponge. I really think they get way too loose at high speeds... In fact, I think my Jeep Cherokee has a better on-road suspension than a Crown Vic above 70mph, which is a sad statement.

But, overall the Crown Vic does get the job done.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Volvo S60.

As a saloon car it has the edge over the V70 estate we also use.
    Range rover are much better than they used to be but are not the most reliable car and have some serious build quality issues.

I wait to see how our new diesel BMW's go, still reserving judgement on them.

Some pictorial reference for you

The new unmarked BMW's waiting to have the radios fitted, Still!

or you could have been unlucky enough to use one of these(This one waiting to be de-commisioned)

The only saving grace for this is that it has a cage in the rear for prisoner transport. Difficult to see on the picture but this beauty has its own little plant growing out from under the front door sill.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    I personally like the Crown Vics. Ours are geared lower, so off the line they are awesome. Sadly the top end has been governed at 129 because of that lower rear gear.

Sarge is thinking about going to the police package Tahoes this year. I have been told that they have a one foot shorter turning radius and actually go faster than the vic does. Would be nice for the extra room though.

At the full time gig, we use trucks. Currently we have F-250 extended cab full bed. They are a little too big for some of our officers to handle but I don't mind them. Thankfully we have no chance of a highspeed chase, so that's not an issue.

We also have a Explorer. I would not wish anybody an explorer. Not only do they suck as an SUV but they just plain suck as far as layout. Any normal sized person would not be able to easily get the seat belt on while wearing a gun belt.

I have driven an Impala, civilian dress, and while it was fun to drive, I don't know that I'd want a front wheel drive vehicle as a patrol vehicle.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think the definitive answer is given every year at the Michigan State Patrol tests.

If I recall correctly this year the Charger ate all comers.

Can't comment on BMW's, most States require a domestic auto for the state bid price. Also, those things look way too small to hold all our shit, a cage, a rifle, and a cop over 6 foot.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Can't comment on BMW's, most States require a domestic auto for the state bid price. Also, those things look way too small to hold all our shit, a cage, a rifle, and a cop over 6 foot.
    We were at one time tied into domestically produced vehicles but as two of the major companies were US owned and one French it wasn't really relevant. Even less so now unless they'll let us drive TVR's.

Our "Armed Resonse Vehicles" Double crewed with 2 X MP5s, sidearm and associated kit(Night vision etc etc) use the same vehicles as us but have the luxury of not having to transport prisoners.(The bosses don't like the idea of the prisoner being in the car with guns, bit of a no brainer for you lot!)

Obviously speaking as a non six footer I can't comment, but I believe we still have a few old boys who top that mark.

I would be interested to give the charger a try as it seems to have some "presence" about it, trouble is we'd have to have a deisel one now thanks to our whingeing,hypocritical gov't.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Well, with Daimler owning Dodge - they could do the diesel bit.

I'm not sure what the "average" height of a US police officer is, but my department has a ton of big guys.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Patrol vehicles I've used: Boots, Cushman Truckster, Ford Club Wagon Van, Chevy Caprice, Chevy Impala, Chevy Tahoe, Ford Crown Vic, Dodge Charger.

Boots: Low cost, reliable, speed and cornering based upon physical fitness level.

Cushman Truckster: Don't be fooled by the name, it's a three wheeled scooter. Makes you look like a meter maid.

Ford Club Wagon (Van): POS for patrol, only useful for carrying a lot of equipment or officers from A to B.

Chevy Caprice: Not a bad car, but not made anymore.

Chevy Impala: OK for urban environments where you don't need high speed and the smaller size is more helpful.

Chevy Tahoe: Spacious and good acceleration off the line. They are top heavy though and I've heard of them rolling at 35mph if you take a turn too hard. Top speed 120mph, but I wouldn't try it unless you're on a straight road. SUVs should not be used as pursuit vehicles IMO.

Ford Crown Vic: A real workhorse. Acceleration is ok, but it has a decent top speed of 130mph. Handling is a little loose at the higher speeds. Plenty of room inside for most officers and gear.

Dodge Charger: Some more blind spots due to the position and size of the windows and frame compared to the CV. Very good acceleration and a top speed of ~150mph. Less trunk room, but enough to carry everything I use. Handling is great at all speeds, it feels like it hugs the road.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I can't say. The last CV I drove was my first car, a 97 (in 2003) with 97k on it and a hole in the manifold intake.

My next car was a 02 Intrepid that has permanently screwed my back up requiring weekly chiropractor visits indefinitely. It handled good, but has no interior room.

My current car is an 06 Impala that is a godsend from what I had, but my agency is in NO danger of spending the extra 3k or so per car bid to get a Charger or CVPI because they cost more.

Plus you need to look at overall performance by agency. State agencies vs inner city ghetto based departments will have different performance needs.

That said, I will still donate a testicle for a black & white charger with single seat cage and LED lightbar
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

The Crown Vic's handled great for a boat. I had the most fun on the O course with a crown vic....

OOOOPS... I meant the CAPRICE!

CW Mock is offline Trooper
    Verified LEO
    I just started a thread in the verified section about the differences in power between the 04-05 CVPI and the 06-07 CVPI. The older cars seem to have a lot more under the hood.

I should have put it here ... but I forgot about this thread!
    "I have an open door policy on tickets ... if I have to open my door, you are getting a ticket. If I turn on those lights, somebody has to pay the electric bill."

The opinions given in my posts and comments
    DO NOT reflect any of the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "CW Mock" on LEF/Officer Resource.

Deputy Joe is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I have heard the Chargers suck in the snow.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    We're getting a brand new Dodge Magnum for our Citizen's Patrol

I've driven both the CV and Impala on obstacle courses - I'd rather stick with my personal Mitsubishi Galant. Is it my imagination? - I thought the CV drove like a boat, and the Impala police package seemed under-powered, unlike the Impala SS I test-drove with a supercharger.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information