Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Seatbelts

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Sacramento P.D. General Orders require that you use seatbelts at all times althoug most officers release prior to arrival.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Mine's on all the time with the obvious exceptions of when I'm pulling up to a call and when I am about to flip on my overheads and stop a car. I can't give you an exact figure or anything, but I've been told a million times that the number one cause of in-the-line-of-duty death for cops is car crashes. And it isn't even close. I spend 75% of my shift in my car driving around, and I've seen the way these jackasses around here drive and I don't want to die that way. I practice undoing the seat belt quickly, so I don't think that's an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I always wear it, on-duty and off-duty. When I was 18, I hit a tree, and my best friend and his 3-year-old daughter were killed. I spent 2 weeks in a coma and busted a lot of bones. If any of us had been wearing seatbelts, none of us would have suffered more than minor injuries.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

dkpd1384 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Wear mine all the time,,,been shot at once in 20 years, had vest on, been in 5 crashes (none my fault) one would have taken me out easy without the seatbelt. Time enough to get it off just before going out on a call takes less time than radioing in.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    I always wear it, on-duty and off-duty. When I was 18, I hit a tree, and my best friend and his 3-year-old daughter were killed. I spent 2 weeks in a coma and busted a lot of bones. If any of us had been wearing seatbelts, none of us would have suffered more than minor injuries.

{{{{{{Keith}}}}} I am so very sorry you had to go through this.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by slick628 View Post
    I usually don't wear mine for I work in the city, usually drive at slow speeds, and always hoppin out of the car. However, if I am running hot to a call, or jump on the highway, I put it on. Our dept. doesn't enforce a seatbelt policy, however, if you get in an accident and you are injured, it's on you...depending on the circumstances. For example, I was writing a citation one evening, and because I was parked, of course I wasn't wearing it, and a drunk fell asleep behind the wheel and slammed into the back of my patrol car, launching it inot the veh I stopped. My bumper was in the back seat. I am happy to report that I was fine, and the seat belt question was never asked.
    You understate the severity of your accident! I saw that car out at the garage one day... man were you lucky!

(that is not to say that I think a seatbelt would have made a difference based on the rear-end hit in your deal... just that you were plain old lucky that you didn't get hurt with the amount of damage that the car received)

Anyway, Colorado does have some type of exemption for LE officers in the performance of their duties. Unfortunately I don't recall the exact stipulations of the statute, and I'm too tired to look it up.

As Slick has mentioned, our department doesn't really care, but has implied that they might hose a guy if they aren't wearing their seatbelts in a crash (however, this fortunately didn't hold true for a recent higher-profile crash that took place in our district).

Personally, I almost always wear my seatbelt. They have saved me in the past, and I feel that (statistically) my odds of dying are greater from a car crash than they are from being ambushed and unable to get out of the car fast enough! I've practiced getting out of my car in a hury, and the seat belt doesn't slow me down too much, just because I'm used to it

My exceptions are usually circumstance based... I'll often pop the belt off while driving alleys at night, and I'll usually take it off a couple of blocks away from hot calls.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Wreck from today,no belts 7 y/o w/m juv. 9 y/o w/m 12 y/o w/f,and Momma,the 2 males were ejected(1 on the first flip,the other on the 3rd flip)f/juvenile pssgr trapped(jaws used) momma has a peeled back scalp.All will survive and can sit around with coat hangers scratching under each others casts.
    ]

BrickCop is offline "Shrinkage Proof"
    Quote Originally Posted by aviator090 View Post
    I have a hard time writing seatbelt citations when I don't have mine on but I know my own reasoning...
    Would that reasoning be the fact that its tough to write movers sitting in your mall security golf cart? Its tough when folks ignore the mighty blinking of you flashing amber bubble light.
    Why no, that's not a pregnant anaconda in my pants...why do you ask?

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickCop View Post
    Would that reasoning be the fact that its tough to write movers sitting in your mall security golf cart? Its tough when folks ignore the mighty blinking of you flashing amber bubble light.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird18751 View Post
    Illinois law is mandatory, even for police. I was lucky, I never liked wearing mine as it sat on top of my firearm. I drove like that for 30 years and retired. My youngest son, Chicago Police Officer, working a high crime area of the City, didn't wear his because of fear of being under fire and not being able to get out of the car to take cover or get to your weapon. On 8/8/04, at 0545hrs on a Sunday morning, just about to get off duty, on the way to a routine call, doing the speed limit, was broadsided by a drunk driver who ran a red light at 60 mph. He was ejected from the squad and crushed under it. Would he had lived if he wore it? Probably. Everyone be safe out there.
    Flash died when I was in the academy. I remember hearing about it, over a thousand miles away. Your son was and will always be, a hero.

We lost one last year as well. I will always wear it. Always.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information