Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seatbelts

aviator090 is offline Banned

Seatbelts

I know here in NC we have exemptions for Law Enforcement from wearing their seatbelt while on duty in a patrol car..

Do other states have this and if so whats your thoughts on not wearing your seatbelt?

I do NOT wear it if I am in the city as I do not ever get to extreme speeds.... I fear being caught up by the seatbelt if I was to come under fire. I have a hard time writing seatbelt citations when I don't have mine on but I know my own reasoning... Now if I am on the open highway at higher speeds, naturally I put it on.

Hannah87 is offline Giggidy... Giggidy..
    Verified LEO
    I know that my department does require us to wear seat belts. Although, my sergeant informed me that within the village, it is not necessary. Out on the highway, I always wear it. I'm a seat belt freak. I wear mine wherever I go.
    May you rest in peace Daddy and may you never hurt again. I love you and miss you and can't wait to see you again.

12/12/44- 2/26/09

racing04 is offline Master Officer
    Here we have too, but I never wear mine, Have my thoughts on that
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take,its measured by the moments that take our breath away

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    In VA, cops, taxi drivers, delivery drivers (like UPS) and a few others are exempt.

In patrol, I generally wore my seatbelt. I'd undo it if I was approaching a call, or cruising somewhere and expected to jump out suddenly. With a very little practice, it's easy enough to undo it. My reasoning is simple. I've never been shot at on the clock -- but I wear body armor. I trust the idiots likely to shoot at me a lot more than I trust the much larger number of morons on the road.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    In VA, cops, taxi drivers, delivery drivers (like UPS) and a few others are exempt.

In patrol, I generally wore my seatbelt. I'd undo it if I was approaching a call, or cruising somewhere and expected to jump out suddenly. With a very little practice, it's easy enough to undo it. My reasoning is simple. I've never been shot at on the clock -- but I wear body armor. I trust the idiots likely to shoot at me a lot more than I trust the much larger number of morons on the road.

Thats one way to look at it

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    I wore mine all the time but would release it just a bit out from arriving on a call....
    I am glad i wore mine.... it saved my life 3 times and i worked in a city.
    If i was ever in an accident and it was discovered i did not have my belt on, the dept washes their hands of you.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Terminator is offline BANNED
    A seatbelt has saved my life and that of a few of my family members. I am a big believer in seatbelts. I wear mine all the time without exception when I'm in my personal vehicle, off duty.

However, when I'm on duty I don't wear mine for safety reasons, unless I know I am about to drive very fast (eg: hot call, vehicle pursuit). And by safety reasons, I mean being able to duck or get out of the patrol car quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    A seatbelt has saved my life and that of a few of my family members. I am a big believer in seatbelts. I wear mine all the time without exception when I'm in my personal vehicle, off duty.

However, when I'm on duty I don't wear mine for safety reasons, unless I know I am about to drive very fast (eg: hot call, vehicle pursuit). And by safety reasons, I mean being able to duck or get out of the patrol car quickly.
    Agreed, Off Duty I wear them religiously..... its kinda a judgement call i guess... I have had my weapon get caught in the seat belt before trying to jump and run and got busted up real good... In the heat its easy , infact very easy , I find to forget you have the thing on.... When you wear your vest its even harder to feel it and have that reminder....

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post

I wear mine all the time on duty or off
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Bird18751 is offline Rookie
    Illinois law is mandatory, even for police. I was lucky, I never liked wearing mine as it sat on top of my firearm. I drove like that for 30 years and retired. My youngest son, Chicago Police Officer, working a high crime area of the City, didn't wear his because of fear of being under fire and not being able to get out of the car to take cover or get to your weapon. On 8/8/04, at 0545hrs on a Sunday morning, just about to get off duty, on the way to a routine call, doing the speed limit, was broadsided by a drunk driver who ran a red light at 60 mph. He was ejected from the squad and crushed under it. Would he had lived if he wore it? Probably. Everyone be safe out there.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird18751 View Post
    Illinois law is mandatory, even for police. I was lucky, I never liked wearing mine as it sat on top of my firearm. I drove like that for 30 years and retired. My youngest son, Chicago Police Officer, working a high crime area of the City, didn't wear his because of fear of being under fire and not being able to get out of the car to take cover or get to your weapon. On 8/8/04, at 0545hrs on a Sunday morning, just about to get off duty, on the way to a routine call, doing the speed limit, was broadsided by a drunk driver who ran a red light at 60 mph. He was ejected from the squad and crushed under it. Would he had lived if he wore it? Probably. Everyone be safe out there.
    I'm very sorry to hear that, sir.

oldtrooper is offline Rookie
    Sorry to hear of your loss Bird18751. I wear my seat belt on and off duty. Like you described I've seen too many die in rather low speed crashes because they did not have a seat belt on at the time.

Last week a firemans wife pulled out in front of a small van in a 35mhp zone and was ejected because she wore no seat belt. Several broken bones and one ear torn off. She survived but has one more surgery to go before it's over.

We are all adults and can make our own decisions but I am very pro seat belts, it's too easy to pop it loose as you roll to a stop on a call.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I used to be in the "not on duty" crowd but have changed aftre reviewing the odds.

I now release it when moving slow "shark style" or prior to arrival.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    So very sorry for your loss.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Click it of Ticket!

I wear mine always, in town/out of town. I will unclick within 1/2 block of a call. If you train while wearing it, you will not have problems un-doing it in a pinch. We are supposed to wear them per our policy/employee handbook, state law exempts us.

suellen446 is offline Officer First Class
    webb city, missouri - that is in the extreme southwest corner of the state
    very sad, so sorry for you and your family. presents a rather glaring example
    dispatcher

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We are exempt here, however my own and every other force I know have orders saying we must wear them. Some exceptions, I don't wear it if I am having to deal with an unruly prisoner transport(We don't have internal cages) or slip it off when literally crawling and about to run(well, walk quickly) after a potential offender.
    Personally I always wear it and have no problem issuing tickets to those who don't.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    State law exempts police from needing to wear seatbelts, and other traffic laws, but I wear mine as much as possible. After seeing enough car accidents, and being involved in a few, I've just come to the conclusion that I'd rather do everything in my power to increase the likelihood I go home at night. I rarely take the seatbelt off until I'm about to get out of the car.

This week a local police officer was seriously injured in a car accident. The woman who hit him head on was charged with DWAI-Drugs and Felony assault. I honestly believe he would have been killed if not for his seatbelt and airbag.

http://lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...67/1020/NEWS04
    Sheriff: Woman in crash with deputy was on drugs
    By Terence Corcoran and Rob Ryser
    The Journal News March 6, 2008

PHILIPSTOWN - A Dutchess County woman was accused of being under the influence of drugs when she drove her car across a double-yellow line on Route 9 yesterday morning and slammed head-on into a marked cruiser driven by a Putnam County sheriff's deputy, police said.

Deputy XXXXX Boscia, 25, suffered fractures to his left ankle, left leg and left arm in the 6:35 a.m. collision about a mile south of Route 301, Sheriff Donald B. Smith said in a release.
    Advertisement

He was taken by ambulance to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, where his family members, several department colleagues and Smith gathered yesterday.

The other driver, Michele DiVivo, 43, of Scarborough Lane, Wappingers Falls, was taken to Hudson Valley Hospital Center in Cortlandt and later transported to Westchester Medical Center for treatment of a broken leg.

Police charged DiVivo with second-degree vehicular assault, a felony, driving while ability impaired by drugs, a misdemeanor, and unlawfully crossing the double-yellow line, an infraction. She is due March 26 in Philipstown Town Court.

DiVivo, who has several narcotics convictions, was asked by investigators to submit to a chemical test but refused, police said. Investigators then secured a warrant from Putnam County Judge James Rooney and obtained a blood sample from DiVivo.

Police said they believe DiVivo was under the influence of methadone, a synthetic drug used to treat heroin addiction.

Boscia, a member of the Sheriff's Department for 13 months, was heading south in his cruiser when DiVivo's larger vehicle, a 1998 Ford Explorer SUV, crossed the center lines and ran head-on into his cruiser, police said.

Smith said witnesses reported seeing DiVivo's vehicle cross the yellow line. Both vehicles were demolished; however, both drivers avoided more serious injuries because they were wearing seat belts and the air bags in their respective vehicles deployed, police said.

Sheriff's deputies and investigators responded with state troopers and ambulances from the Philipstown Ambulance Corps and North Highlands Fire Department.

The road was closed for about three hours during the investigation.

View a video on this subject at LoHud.com
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

slick628 is offline Rollin' Deep
    Verified LEO
    I usually don't wear mine for I work in the city, usually drive at slow speeds, and always hoppin out of the car. However, if I am running hot to a call, or jump on the highway, I put it on. Our dept. doesn't enforce a seatbelt policy, however, if you get in an accident and you are injured, it's on you...depending on the circumstances. For example, I was writing a citation one evening, and because I was parked, of course I wasn't wearing it, and a drunk fell asleep behind the wheel and slammed into the back of my patrol car, launching it inot the veh I stopped. My bumper was in the back seat. I am happy to report that I was fine, and the seat belt question was never asked.
    "That's how we roll"

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I wear mine all the time. It only takes a split second to get it off. Bird18751 son was a classmate of mine in the academy.
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information