Welcome to the APBWeb.
    aviator090 is offline Banned

I know I am burning up the forums but

I got a question for you guys, my department is in bad need of a computer aided dispatch software and report writing... But like all things the budget just isn't there, as we are a smaller agency...

I found this website though that has a free cad and report writing software , but I can't figure out how to install it at all, its just a little too complicated for me...

The website is http://www.aleir.com/

Any of you guys have any other ideas or suggestions?

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I would really hesitate before using ANYTHING free for official documentation.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by aviator090 View Post
    I got a question for you guys, my department is in bad need of a computer aided dispatch software and report writing... But like all things the budget just isn't there, as we are a smaller agency...

I found this website though that has a free cad and report writing software , but I can't figure out how to install it at all, its just a little too complicated for me...

The website is http://www.aleir.com/

Any of you guys have any other ideas or suggestions?
    ALEIR is SQL based.

Check to make sure the computer you installed in on supports the latest version of SQL server.

My guess is that it does not, it isn't a common application on a desktop not used previously for CAD software.

It appears they will allow you to use it with MySQL, which is an open version.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    ALEIR is SQL based.

Check to make sure the computer you installed in on supports the latest version of SQL server.

My guess is that it does not, it isn't a common application on a desktop not used previously for CAD software.

It appears they will allow you to use it with MySQL, which is an open version.
    My problem is I am MYSQL handicaped... I tried to set it up via their instructions with no luck... I really don't know what I am doing lol..

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by aviator090 View Post
    My problem is I am MYSQL handicaped... I tried to set it up via their instructions with no luck... I really don't know what I am doing lol..
    You're a ways off for me to help you with that!

(I could charge you $150 per day plus expenses and be $50 cheaper than they are )
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    You're a ways off for me to help you with that!

(I could charge you $150 per day plus expenses and be $50 cheaper than they are )
    That i will have to consider if nothing better comes along

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Free advice follows...

Install MySQL first clean and configure the server, then install the ALEIR.

One issue you may be having is firewalls. If your SQL server is running and the applications can't get to it, they won't work.

MySQL has a pretty decent setup guide that should help you out a bit.
    I'm your huckleberry...

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    It might help to have more specific info

Fro example, what it's doing specifically? (any error messages you're getting, how far in the installation it's getting, etc). Error messages can pop up on the screen, but can also be hiding in mySQL log files, in the Windows Event Logs, in the Firewall logs if you're running a firewall, etc).

Also, which version of Windows? (98, 2000, XP, etc)? That could influence your setup - And the account you log in as on most Windows systems MUST have Local Administrator privledges for the install to work properly, and must have DCOM & networking enabled for any type of database server to work (Pretty much a default on XP and 2000 Pro if it has a network card, but not necessarily on early versions of Windows). If this box is administered by an IT department, they may not have given you Administrator privledges, so you may not be able to install anything.

Are you installing MySQL on the same PC as the CAD system, or a different PC? Is mySQL working locally (in the query window and a sample database, can you query the sample database, or even do a simple statement like SELECT 123 and have it return 123 (I'm a SQL Server guy, so I'm only assuming that mySQL works the same way)?

Which part of the First Start at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...rst-start.html fails, if any?

If mySQL is working locally but the CAD system just won't connect, it's more than likely a network issue - It may be as simple as having the server's IP number wrong, insufficient network privileges (blocked ports, etc), or maybe you're running a Firewall on the SQL Server PC - that may be blocking all outside requests, so look in your firewall logs and settings - Enable everything for mySQL in the firewall settinds, and allow it to run as a server.

To eliminate that possibility, look in the docs for the CAD system and see if it can by installed on the same computer. But you may still have to turn firewall off temporarily, since it can prevent programs from running as a server and block needed TCP/IP ports unless you configure the firewall to permit it.

if it were SQL Server, on the same box you may have to connect to either the computer name you see when you do a right-click properties on My Computer, or localhost or 127.0.0.1. On another box on the network, you'd have to connect to the IP number you see when you do an IPCONFIG in a Command (MS-DOS) window on the mySQL server box - you may not be able to use the computer name of the server if the network setup doesn't have type of Name server working.

And whether you're installing it on the same box or not, you may have to install a network card in your computer if it doesn't already have one - mySQL may need the drivers that tag along with the network card to communicate with other programs, even on the same box - especially TCP/IP.

If you've done all that let me know an I may try to install it on one of my PC's to see if it works for me. I may see something obviousas it's installing.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information