Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite patrol uniform- dress or casual?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dress

10 34.48%
  • Casual

19 65.52%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Post What is your favorite patrol uniform- dress or casual?

What is your favorite patrol uniform- dress (Class A or Class B) or casual (BDU's)?

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    TDU's here!!! We are wearing all 5.11 tactical for the K9units.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Well I said casual even though we don't have a "casual" uniform.

Shit, even on bike patrol we wear our typical uniform shirt, with BDU shorts. God forbid we get a polo.

I would like to switch to jumpsuits, that'd be tight.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We could stand to loosen up a bit here. This is a dirty job and the poly gets messed up way to fast and easy. With supervision you can make sure guys don't look like slobs in any uniform.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

ARJJ is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    We were typical class A's (poly dress uniforms) on day shift, and black BDUs with the tuck in 2-pocket shirt on nights. I voted for the dress uniform, simply because our shirts have gussets that allow greater movement, the pants don't have to be bloused, and it's cooler. Only downside is the shining of insignia.

OTOH, if we could wear polos instead of the BDU shirt, the BDUs might be better.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I think patrol uniforms should reflect patrol duties. Bike units, commercial vehicle inspectors, motor officers, etc. all have specialized uniforms, and are often considered part of patrol. An ideal routine patrol uniform would probably combine something like the old military fatigues; it'd be durable, hold a crease, and not be destroyed if you have to go through the woods. The current trend toward cargo pockets is nice -- but not essential. For a lot of reasons, I like the recognition of the more traditional class A style uniform. But officers should be able to switch to a more subdued approach at night, with less shiny crap to hang up on stuff and draw light.

I don't like, for routine patrol, the polo shirt look. I believe there have actually been studies showing that more casual or less military looking uniforms are associated with more assaults on officers. So leave the polo shirts to special units, like bike teams and vehicle inspectors where it fits with the duties and is more expected, or SROs and others that don't have a different sort of public interaction.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    I voted class As,we wear the 511 BDUs,and they look like crap,I spend as much time ironing(gotta have a crease) as I would shining brass.I also feel Class As are more authorative.With our blue shirts(511 Polo),and Khaki pants,we look just like the Catholic kids down the street from the station.Oh,Yeah,that'll strike fear in their hearts

511s used to even be wrinkled in the ads,but with todays Galls catalogue,it appears someone has been busy with an airbrush
    ]

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I'm torn on this one. Our department allows BDU pants with a regular class A poly shirt but I rarely wear them. I do believe that something else would be more comfortable, and even though I have spent a lot of time "shaving" my pants and sometimes even my shirt after going through the woods, I believe the regular class A looks better and gets more respect.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mavriktu View Post
    I voted class As,we wear the 511 BDUs,and they look like crap,I spend as much time ironing(gotta have a crease) as I would shining brass.I also feel Class As are more authorative.With our blue shirts(511 Polo),and Khaki pants,we look just like the Catholic kids down the street from the station.Oh,Yeah,that'll strike fear in their hearts

511s used to even be wrinkled in the ads,but with todays Galls catalogue,it appears someone has been busy with an airbrush
    Our K9 unit went to 511's and they look like crap. Very wrinkled. And they fade FAST!

One of the guys got a test uniform that is a heavier fabric. It holds the crease and looks great and it's far more durable and functional than Class A's. Good BDU's can look great. 511's are NOT good BDUs.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Don't even start with the hat!
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Is that thing a left over from the days y'all had to water horses or something?
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Listen mate where I water me horse is my business
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

smokey703 is offline I'm Bi-WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Verified LEO
    We don't have a choice to which uniform we wear. Class A for day shift and night shift. Khaki 5.11 pants and green polo shirt for extra duty.
    Wise men stand behind me, brave men stand beside me, but only fools stand against me.

The force that propels you to prevail when you are put to a test of survival will be a mindset that refuses to accept nothing but winning.

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap that motherf*cker upside the head.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Bratwear or 5.11 pants and polo.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    BDU'S!!!! gives the JBT look anywho Also much more durable when I am climbing in, out and around my office chair (they have extra padding in the ass )
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Fed View Post
    BDU'S!!!! gives the JBT look anywho Also much more durable when I am climbing in, out and around my office chair (they have extra padding in the ass )

And here I thought that was just a diaper so you didn't have to get up to use the john.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Our department just switched to the 5.11 Class A shirts and cargo pants. They didn't do a test phase, which I think was a huge mistake The 5.11's, like has been mentioned already, wrinkle easlily and look like ass by the end of a shift. I wasn't able to wear two pairs of thermal long underwear with the pants when it was -15 degrees a month ago. No problems with the Elbeco pants in the same size.

We have a shirt that has embroidery on it, in place of collar brass and name tags. It's nice because we can wear it every day, not just when we're working the extra detail it was designed for (carrying the MP5 around the terminal). I hate dealing with collar brass and name tags
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    And here I thought that was just a diaper so you didn't have to get up to use the john.
    LOL
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    I think patrol uniforms should reflect patrol duties. Bike units, commercial vehicle inspectors, motor officers, etc. all have specialized uniforms, and are often considered part of patrol. An ideal routine patrol uniform would probably combine something like the old military fatigues; it'd be durable, hold a crease, and not be destroyed if you have to go through the woods. The current trend toward cargo pockets is nice -- but not essential. For a lot of reasons, I like the recognition of the more traditional class A style uniform. But officers should be able to switch to a more subdued approach at night, with less shiny crap to hang up on stuff and draw light.

I don't like, for routine patrol, the polo shirt look. I believe there have actually been studies showing that more casual or less military looking uniforms are associated with more assaults on officers. So leave the polo shirts to special units, like bike teams and vehicle inspectors where it fits with the duties and is more expected, or SROs and others that don't have a different sort of public interaction.
    I have to agree. A sharp cop really impresses the public; sloppy one doesn't, and his actions and paperwork reflect this. Just think, howdo yu act in civies - Sharp looking coat and tie, you act different then if in raggedy jeans and sloppy t-shirt.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    I have to agree. A sharp cop really impresses the public; sloppy one doesn't, and his actions and paperwork reflect this. Just think, howdo yu act in civies - Sharp looking coat and tie, you act different then if in raggedy jeans and sloppy t-shirt.
    Yep... Think about that first day you put on your uniform at the end of the academy. Just about everyone straightens up, stands a bit taller, sucks in their gut and walks like their 10 feet tall and bulletproof. You can tell the rook walking out of the station from a hundred yards away. They're the guy "acting like a cop."

A few months or years down the road, and you can tell they're a cop whether or not they're in uniform -- but lots of them don't have that crispness and they don't get that quick respect from the average citizen. (I know, they don't want it, either!)
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information