Quote Originally Posted by Signal_W
    Your offended?

I'm from the South!!
    +1.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    By the way, I've taken my first cherry on this site.. **sniff sniff**

Spiderman2000 is offline Junior Member
    I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I say that because I'm from Massachusets originally and have family in New York state. I'm really sorry!!!

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman2000
    I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I say that because I'm from Massachusets originally and have family in New York state. I'm really sorry!!!
    No problem....I'm a damn yankee myself!!!!

lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......
    I'm from the south and I conduct myself in a proffessional manner. I was raised in the north and compared to them, We hav an outstanding code of ethics and desire to serve as LEO's. If that's the attitude your going to have, You will have a very hard career ahead of you.

Look, I apologize for the comment. your all taking it out of context. Just relax. It's just my opinion that I like it better then down south.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Look, I apologize for the comment. your all taking it out of context. Just relax. It's just my opinion that I like it better then down south.

That is all you had to say.

When you say things like:
    I think the Police up north are much more proffessional then the ones in the south and mid west.
    Then people will get offended. Just read what you post before you post it next time.

IHateCops is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lesta311
    I'm from the south and I conduct myself in a proffessional manner.
    Really?

Billiardnut is offline Attack Pug Dog Handler

Talking

Hi. I was wondering what's the best way to become a cop? I think I would really like to do that job and I am starting Criminal Justice classes next semester. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!
    If you are wanting to eventually become an administrator or something - criminal justice is OK to have otherwise, I think the criminal justice related classes I took in collage were a waste. Because - a majority of the stuff you will need to know will be taught during the academy, specialized training, FTO and your own experiance

I would suggest you looking at a major in psychology, sociology, business and definately load up on computer classes. At least with an education background in those fields you can go out and make some real money once you discover cops get paid CRAP!

I'm in Georgia. I'm considering applying out of state. I'm trying for Massachusets and New York State. I think the Police up north are much more proffessional then the ones in the south and mid west.
    Of course I would suggest going to school in the northern states ... cause us hillbillies in the south only know how to milk cows, run 'shine' and plow fields.

I attached a picture of us Missouri hillbillies fer ya ... that-a-way you'll nose what 'ta look fer
    Last edited by Billiardnut; 12-13-05 at 09:35 PM.
    Member of the Pervert Patrol - making sure the pervs are tracked and up-to-date.
    National Sex Offender Public Registry
    www.nsopr.gov

Ken K is offline Banned
    Original post deleted by me for being too truthful.
    Last edited by Ken K; 12-14-05 at 11:38 AM.

The Punisher is offline Between Heaven and Hell
    Like ThisGlock40 said, that's all you had to say. We may jump all over your shit, but if you correct yourself, we don't hold any grudges and it's all good.
    Tell them I'm coming, and Hell's coming with me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...LESE/good2.jpg

Well, It's been a while since I have visited here. I thought I offended everyone by accident. I'm glad to see everyone didn't decline my apology and for that i'm grateful. I will be interning with the Atlanta PD soon and I have done a few ride alongs. I love it.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Well, It's been a while since I have visited here. I thought I offended everyone by accident. I'm glad to see everyone didn't decline my apology and for that i'm grateful. I will be interning with the Atlanta PD soon and I have done a few ride alongs. I love it.
    Don't worry about it Spiderman. I'm glad you like it. Keep us informed.

Wise_undergrad_08 is offline Master Officer
    Not to steal the thread, but some replies brought a question to mind. I have read on forums I was previously a member on, and now this one, that it is a good idea to not major in C.J. Well, I was majoring in it and pretty much hated all the classes. Many were anti-law enforcement and a waste of my time (for other reasons as well). I switched to the history major at my college and have never been happier. I figured history was a good place to bulid from as it is very reading and writing intensive as well as teaches you how to research a topic and gather info. from all sides. Recently, I went on a ride-along with a ranking officer who told me switching my major was the worst thing I could have possibly done. He said as far as taking the most qualified applicants they pull from college experience, yes, but first from those with college experience in a law enforcement related field. I don't know what to do after hearing this. I mean, I'm happy where I am and really don't want to go back to the other major, but will this hurt me as much as he says? Will it hurt me at all? I appreciate and welcome all responses but possibly at least one person who has experience with BI's can chime in too. This officer I did the ride-along with used to do BI's, and so I was hoping for someone who is in the same area to let me know how big of a deal this actually is. In the end, I will more than likely stick with what makes me happy, but if I am going down the wrong way and there is still time to fix it I would definetely reconsider pursuing C.J. courses. Thanks everyone.
    "A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society."

-Thomas Jefferson, 1792

Cotton candy don't get wet until it's in your mouth.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    You are correct getting a degree in CJ is not a good idea. Think of it like this. You get in the career after a year or two you find out that this is not the job for you. But your degree is for this job, what are you going to do for an income now?

The best bet is to get a degree in something you like, but not in CJ. If you like to help the police and bust the bad guys then why not get into forensic science or something of that nature. You can even do the business degree thing. Either way you are promotable and it all looks good when applying. But it also allows you to find another job if this job is not for you.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2001
    You are correct getting a degree in CJ is not a good idea. Think of it like this. You get in the career after a year or two you find out that this is not the job for you. But your degree is for this job, what are you going to do for an income now?

The best bet is to get a degree in something you like, but not in CJ. If you like to help the police and bust the bad guys then why not get into forensic science or something of that nature. You can even do the business degree thing. Either way you are promotable and it all looks good when applying. But it also allows you to find another job if this job is not for you.
    Agreed! Always keep your options open.

Personally, I have a BS in Business with a minor Information Systems Management. I am considering going back for a CJ degree. Looked at a lot of the course catalogues, and they deal with the liberal viewpoint. Nothing that will actually help you in being a cop.

The best education for being a cop: Life experience and knowing how to deal with people. Best education: A degree you can use and enjoy getting.

Whitewolf is offline Hard Of Hearing Non-LEO
    My suggestion: Take a college then university, later join the academy where you will be trained. Or join the university and then join the academy.

My son will but now he's only 10. My friend told him to go to university to get a B.S. (bachelor of science) degree and then join the academy (probably LAPD academy) to be trained officer..probably he'll be 22 and join the force near my home or maybe older (if he chooses to join the college before joining the university). My son is still chasing the dream.
    I SEE NEKKED PEOPLE! AIN'T SKEERED!!!!!

MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitewolf
    My suggestion: Take a college then university, later join the academy where you will be trained. Or join the university and then join the academy.

My son will but now he's only 10. My friend told him to go to university to get a B.S. (bachelor of science) degree and then join the academy (probably LAPD academy) to be trained officer..probably he'll be 22 and join the force near my home or maybe older (if he chooses to join the college before joining the university). My son is still chasing the dream.
    And the best of luck to him!

Whitewolf is offline Hard Of Hearing Non-LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainCop
    And the best of luck to him!
    Thanks. Yeah, he can't wait. Here's the pic of him dressed up in NY cop uniforms for Halloween. Now he's outgrew it and he is savin' it for the future years later when he gets married and have a boy if he's lucky.

Last edited by Whitewolf; 01-01-06 at 11:31 PM.
    I SEE NEKKED PEOPLE! AIN'T SKEERED!!!!!

Bearcat06 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise_undergrad_08
    Recently, I went on a ride-along with a ranking officer who told me switching my major was the worst thing I could have possibly done. He said as far as taking the most qualified applicants they pull from college experience, yes, but first from those with college experience in a law enforcement related field.
    The guy that said that is a fucking idiot.
    More than welcome to tell him that as well if you ever ride with him.......

I have a degree in History and have never, ever had a problem with using it for my LE career (5 years Civ, 10 years Military, and if all works out, I will be soon working with the Feds).

With your degree in History, you could work in other fields (due to your research abilities and knowing how to right papers), go to Law School, teach, etc.....
    With a CJ degree, your options are limited. What if, God Forbid, you get hurt, injuried, or are not able to pass some of the background portions of entrance process with PDs? You will be stuck.....

Just my opinion......good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information