Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitewolf
    Yeah, he can't wait. Here's the pic of him dressed up for Halloween. Now he's outgrew it and he is savin' it for the future years later when he gets married and have a boy if he's lucky.
    Cool pic ;<) Up at Neve's here in Denver, they sell the little sized uniforms - they are so neat! As my neighbor (cop) and his wife just had a little boy, I can't wait until he gets grown enough so I can get him one!

Whitewolf is offline Hard Of Hearing Non-LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainCop
    Cool pic ;<) Up at Neve's here in Denver, they sell the little sized uniforms - they are so neat! As my neighbor (cop) and his wife just had a little boy, I can't wait until he gets grown enough so I can get him one!
    Thanks. Cool. Don't forget to take a pic of him. It will be soo cool to see him wear the miniature cop uniforms. Funny that I bought my son's costume three years ago and that size can lie too. Instead of fittin' him, it was soo big, he looks like he shrunked to a little pup size. My son tried this on for three years but for two years he didn't wear it as they're too big for him. So he settled for the Spiderman and the Knight. Last halloween 2005, he was able to wear it finally. The old neighbors jokingly said, "Hello Officer, have some free candies." "Hi officer, wassup with the Spiderman? Was he arrested? " He looked and felt very happy. His buddy wore spiderman costume. They both share the same dream. They're close buddies.
    Last edited by Whitewolf; 01-01-06 at 11:50 PM.
    I SEE NEKKED PEOPLE! AIN'T SKEERED!!!!!

Wise_undergrad_08 is offline Master Officer
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I really appreciate the insight and help. I was a little discouraged by what he said, so, to be honest, was not only looking for the advice but a little reassurance as to the path I'd chosen as well. I'm feeling good about this again.

Btw Bearcat, what area of history are you most interested in? I like ancient the best, but am finding the 1700's- the early 1800's to be quite fascinating as well. I don't have a concentration, just General History, but everything up to the middle 1800's I like the best.
    "A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society."

-Thomas Jefferson, 1792

Cotton candy don't get wet until it's in your mouth.

MountainCop Guest
    Thanks. Cool. Don't forget to take a pic of him. It will be soo cool to see him wear the miniature cop uniforms. Funny that I bought my son's costume three years ago and that size can lie too. Instead of fittin' him, it was soo big, he looks like he shrunked to a little pup size. My son tried this on for three years but for two years he didn't wear it as they're too big for him. So he settled for the Spiderman and the Knight. Last halloween 2005, he was able to wear it finally. The old neighbors jokingly said, "Hello Officer, have some free candies." "Hi officer, wassup with the Spiderman? Was he arrested? " He looked and felt very happy. His buddy wore spiderman costume. They both share the same dream. They're close buddies.
    I don't think they ever get the sizes right on the costumes!

And arresting Spiderman will DEFINITELY look good on his resume!

Taking the free candy may not...

Quote Originally Posted by MountainCop
    I don't think they ever get the sizes right on the costumes!

And arresting Spiderman will DEFINITELY look good on his resume!

Taking the free candy may not...
    They (factories)never know how to make the sizes right. Funny but at least, they're not expensive though. Mmmmm....resume, yeah. Aw, but it's the neighbors' faults who gave him free candy.

MountainCop Guest
    They (factories)never know how to make the sizes right. Funny but at least, they're not expensive though. Mmmmm....resume, yeah. Aw, but it's the neighbors' faults who gave him free candy.
    Yeah, those things can be cheap as dirt. I was going through one of those halloween shops, looking at a toy Thompson and AR-15 - 5 bucks per! Wish I had paid that for the real ones!

To be honest the Thompson (semi <sigh>) is my wifes. Gave it to her for her birthday one year. So she got me a Bushmaster M-4 type for Christmas. Ah, a match made in heaven!

Bearcat06 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise_undergrad_08
    Btw Bearcat, what area of history are you most interested in? I like ancient the best, but am finding the 1700's- the early 1800's to be quite fascinating as well. I don't have a concentration, just General History, but everything up to the middle 1800's I like the best.
    Military.....Civil War, WWI, WWII mostly.....

I have done a few post Revolutionary War papers......

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Plus ladies and gentlemen that are not LE here. If you haven't figured it out other LE members such as the Feds, State, and Locals are able to help each other find new jobs. But to get those jobs you have to have a degree in something. That is why you always see us in school. We are striving for more and to be better on paper to these people. Its all about making yourself look good on paper.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I've been going to CJ night classes for a couple of years, and plan to start Police Academy at night in January (I finally found one where I think I can survive physically!!!).

One thing I noticed about Police Academy is that it's not once or twice a week, it's EVERY FRIGGIN' DAY!!! Since I have a day job, I'm hoping that at least the the knowledge I gained in CJ classes (especially about the Penal Codes) will help me keep up even when I don't have time to study.

Maybe that's an irrational hope, but if so I guess all I did is waste my $300 enrollment fee in part I of Police Academy plus the thousand or more I've spent on CJ classes.

Oh excuse me, Part III of Police Academy

Part I doesn't start till Fall 2007 but they said I could take them out of order. This may be a very bad decision.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 11-12-06 at 06:38 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

sgtpelon is offline Officer First Class
    There is another route, you can try to get hired as young as possible (usually 21) and then work on your degree as you get tenure on the job. Your first couple of years will be undergraduate work anyway. You won't be promotable for around 5 years, so by then you will have your degree in CJ if you like law enforcement. You will usually know in a couple of years if you don't like being a cop, so you have time. Mean while, you will be working towards all of our ultimate goal, retirement. But I would recommend that every cop take a few classes in the middle of their career, because it gives you a new perspective on life. We can get pretty closed minded and sitting in class with twenty people challenging your opinions makes you take stock in why you hold your beliefs. It is a lot of fun.

By the way, there are a few other things other than hard drugs and criminal activity you have to worry about. Make sure you keep your credit in order because that is definitely a disqualifier in many departments. Also, as mentioned before, traffic tickets are a negative if they are moving violations.

But be advised, when you step into the law enforcement field, it can be very addicting. I am pushing 34 years as a leo and still wake up every morning and laugh because I can't believe I get paid to do what I do. I love it.

Good luck to you.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Quote Originally Posted by IHateCops View Post
    Really?
    Geez....nice forum name
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    I've been going to CJ night classes for a couple of years, and plan to start Police Academy at night in January (I finally found one where I think I can survive physically!!!).

One thing I noticed about Police Academy is that it's not once or twice a week, it's EVERY FRIGGIN' DAY!!! Since I have a day job, I'm hoping that at least the the knowledge I gained in CJ classes (especially about the Penal Codes) will help me keep up even when I don't have time to study.

Part I doesn't start till Fall 2007 but they said I could take them out of order. This may be a very bad decision.
    Good Luck Charlie!!!! The academy I am going to is full time also, but I went the route of getting hired first to avoid having to pay all the costs involved. Just overwhelming at how much the dept invests in you. I got all my uniforms, pt clothes, gear, belts, ect this week. It was $$$$$$$. Plus I am on the payroll while in academy too, cuz impossible to do this and work another job.
    Again, Good Luck to ya! You can do it if you want it bad enough! =)
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Deputy2400 is offline Professional Rights Advisor
    Find a department you want to work for...then fill out an application. Once this is done then you take a power test or any variation there of, a written test, a psych, and an oral. Make sure to pass all these. Then hope an opening comes up and you get it. That is one easy way... another is for your dad/mom to be a chief, sheriff, board member, or mayor, governer, etc..... and have him/her get you in politically. Or watch the movie Blue Streak...this might help as well.
    If you run from me...you'll just go to jail tired!

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Sounds to me like Deputy2400's pappy was the Shire Reeve!
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

LAW DOG is offline Law Enforcement, isn't a job it's a brotherhood!!
    Verified LEO
    MILITARY, I Went military police best move for me you don't get into that much trouble, to many watchfull eyes. USMC all the way. Semper FI.
    S.W.A.T Maximum Violents

Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    Maybe because they want to bring up the living dead post?

I'm back but for a short time. I received an email from LEF for the Thanksgiving and thanks!!!!!
    Last edited by Whitewolf; 11-30-06 at 07:15 PM.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman2000 View Post
    Hi. I was wondering what's the best way to become a cop?
    Apply for the job

And never stop, always keep on going until you get that job you want!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information