• Do what's right and moral and lose your job

27 65.85%
  • Do something immoral (but legal & authorized) and keep your job

14 34.15%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by gomets11 View Post
    I'm kinda confused...

I can't really see how doing what is 'right & moral' can cost you your job in this profession...isn't our job pretty much to do what is 'right & moral' hence, the 'serve & protect' on the side of most police cars...

maybe someone can explain this to me...
    Politics. Let's say for example, you arrest the Ass't Fire Chief for domestic violence and then the Mayor orders you three times to unhandcuff him, and you refuse (doing what's right and moral), and then the Mayor tells the Police Chief he is going to have the officer fired (you), and that he has the power to do it. In many southern states, law enforcement is at-will and officers can be fired without cause.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I'm not going to claim to be perfect. And there are a few things I might have done differently. But I trust that I've never sacrificed what's right just because policy might have let me, even doing the right thing would cost me my job.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

gomets11 is offline mmmm Beer...
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Politics. Let's say for example, you arrest the Ass't Fire Chief for domestic violence and then the Mayor orders you three times to unhandcuff him, and you refuse (doing what's right and moral), and then the Mayor tells the Police Chief he is going to have the officer fired (you), and that he has the power to do it. In many southern states, law enforcement is at-will and officers can be fired without cause.
    I see your point, but in the long run, I'd rather keep my job...stupid stuff like that is petty in the long run...

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Originally Posted by Terminator

How about nailing the Dumb-ass mayor for obstruction and letting him explain it to the voters?
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information