Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Is your academy stay home or on-site?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay at home

25 65.79%
  • Stay on site

13 34.21%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    New York City Police Department
    The academy is 6 months long. You train Monday through Friday during either day tours from 0705 to 1540 or nights from 1500 to 2335. You can go home each night. MTAPD also sends their recruits to the NYCPD academy.

New York State Police
    The academy is 26 weeks long. It is a residential academy and you must stay at the academy from Sunday night until Friday afternoon/night.

Small departments in New York generally send their recruits to a regional or county run academy. They are all approximately 6 months long and many of them are stay at home. They are all paramilitary in structure, but some are more intense than others.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan36002 View Post
    Now we have only one academy for all agencies in the state. You don't have to stay there over night but most people do, even several of the staff. Most everyone goes home for the wekends. It is more like college than boot camp for the most part. To be an LEO in Oregon you have to complete the academy and maintain certification through them. You have to be hired by an agency and sent to the academy, no sending yourself through. Most of the bigger agencies have there own secondary or advanced academies.
    Pretty much the same in SC. Our Academy is 9 weeks. You have to go thru the Academy before you can be certified and work on the road. LEO from out of state go thru a 2 week program if they havn't been out of Law Enforcement longer then 3 yrs. Although some departments have their own "academies", they don't count for State Certification. We even had a retired "FED" go thru the 2 week stuff before he could be certified.

samurai361 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Our academy is a regional, multijurisdictional academy and you go home at night. Good for people like me. I joined the Marines once. I didn't reenlist for a reason.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai361 View Post
    Our academy is a regional, multijurisdictional academy and you go home at night. Good for people like me. I joined the Marines once. I didn't reenlist for a reason.
    Two things I hated about the Academy - those sagging springs on that military cot and my bunkmate, who was assigned the bottom bunk, waking me up EVERY SINGLE MORNING for 9 weeks by putting his cold shaving cream can in the middle of my back.

(I finally "borrowed" a piece of plywood and fixed the sag.)
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    We stayed at ours from 7am-4pm M-F.

Don't think I'd have liked the residential style!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information