Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Is your academy stay home or on-site?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay at home

25 65.79%
  • Stay on site

13 34.21%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Academies – stay home or on-site?

Our academy is 10 weeks, Sunday afternoon to Thursday afternoon and you stay at the academy in a huge “bay” with military bunks, two high. There is more than one State Certified academy here but the one that I mention is the State LEO academy.

What is your academy like? Stay home or on site?
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The State Patrol Academy is kind of like Boot Camp, but the others, as far as I know, are "stay at home." The basic Cert. course is 13 weeks.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Where's the option for "My state doesn't require an academy"?

There are 4 agency-specific academies in MN: Minneapolis, St. Paul, State Patrol, and St. Louis County (near Duluth). The Patrol is the only one that's a live-in type.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Most of the regular academys you are at home at night.

WI state patrol you stay in barraks
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    All initial training used to be done on site as a residential course. It was also done largely on a regional not local basis.
    The training I had was largely very structured and disciplined and based on a military style.
    However the training is now done in house with the recruits going home at night and the training being based on a social workers course.(All sitting in a circle and discussing feelings,you know the thing)
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Just to add to what Motorway said they are not up to scratch they seem to now lack enthusiasm and bottle compared to recruits under the old training.

They study at local colleges along with people doing High school and college equalivant courses. Not a good system in my opinion. The trainers are none police and some appear to be completely clueless criminolgists and law graduates.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Most academies I'm aware of in Virginia are non-residential. Recruits go home at the end of the day. The VSP Academy is the major exception, though I've been told there's at least one other.

A non-residential academy can be rigorous and strict. And a residential academy can be lax and touchy-feely. It depends on the staff more than anything else.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    MDPD was 10 months long 7am to 4pm with weekends off and you went home at 4pm.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

GhostCop is offline Sergeant
    There are several agencies in Wyoming that run their own academy. We are going to enter this arena this August because we are testing and plan to hire too many to send to the State Academy (limited slots). The States Academy, which is a pretty good one, is live in with a full facility and two recruits to their own room. Academy length is just over 12 weeks I do believe. I think I prefer the live in academy concept from the standpoint of team building and comradery.
    "Any community's arm of force - military, police, security - needs people in it who can do necessary evil, and yet not be made evil by it. To do only the necessary and no more. To constantly question the assumptions, to stop the slide into atrocity."

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ours is run by our agency. It is a stay at home academy that runs during the weekdays. Since it's isolated from the department and from other colleges we are able to run it the way we need. It's a cross between military basic training and college classes. Lots of PT with a heavy emphasis on academics.

The last academy class we did we put them on 4 ten hour days with Fri-Sun off. This worked well giving them extra time to study and prepare over the weekend. It also gave them more personal time to get what they needed done.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Ours is run by our agency. It is a stay at home academy that runs during the weekdays. Since it's isolated from the department and from other colleges we are able to run it the way we need. It's a cross between military basic training and college classes. Lots of PT with a heavy emphasis on academics.

The last academy class we did we put them on 4 ten hour days with Fri-Sun off. This worked well giving them extra time to study and prepare over the weekend. It also gave them more personal time to get what they needed done.
    Did you see any problems with retention over the long weekend or general preparation?

Our academy recently shifted to 4 ten-hour days, and I know there were significant concerns among the staff... I haven't had a chance to follow up and see how it's worked out, other than the obvious issue that the recruits don't take care of the coffee makers on Mondays for in-service classes!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ohio State Highway Patrol is paramilitary with cadets staying on site.

The Ohio Peace Officers Training academy also has an on-site academy at main campus, but all of the "branches" scattered throughout the state are "stay home"
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Did you see any problems with retention over the long weekend or general preparation?

Our academy recently shifted to 4 ten-hour days, and I know there were significant concerns among the staff... I haven't had a chance to follow up and see how it's worked out, other than the obvious issue that the recruits don't take care of the coffee makers on Mondays for in-service classes!
    I only teach several topics at the academy here so I'm not around on a day to day basis. As an instructor I can say I hated coming in and starting an hour earlier. Made for long days. I'm not sure if the academy staff liked it or not. We're about to start another class so I guess if they are on 10's the staff likes it.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Mine was stay-at-home: Eastfield Community College, which i attended M-F, 6pm-10pm, for basically a year. It's the same academy that the Dallas Reserves use - Here's a link to them
    http://www.efc.dcccd.edu/CJTC/index.html

We also had some weekend stuff and things that went way past normal hours, like a driving course, Mechanics of Arrest / Self Defense, night-time building searches, crime scene managemt (which we had to do on a 30 degree night afrer a storm) etc.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    There are three in Illinois that I know of:

ISP - which is live-in
    PTI - based in Champaign with U of I, is also live-in
    Southwestern Police Academy - based at SWIC, is non-residential; area guys go home, the rest of us stay in a hotel.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    Most go to the state academy, an agency near by does an inhouse academy.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

ryan36002 is offline Senior Officer
    Verified LEO
    Now we have only one academy for all agencies in the state. You don't have to stay there over night but most people do, even several of the staff. Most everyone goes home for the wekends. It is more like college than boot camp for the most part. To be an LEO in Oregon you have to complete the academy and maintain certification through them. You have to be hired by an agency and sent to the academy, no sending yourself through. Most of the bigger agencies have there own secondary or advanced academies.

Patrol-16 weeks, (plus 8 for Troopers)
    Corrections-5 weeks
    Dispatch, Parole, Security-2 weeks
    Career Officer Develop.-2 weeks for laterals from out of state.

http://www.oregon.gov/DPSST/index.shtml
    "You will learn more with your ears than you will your mouth!"

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Ours was a stay at home academy, it was about 18 weeks, Ocotber to February. Even in Florida having to get into the outdoor pool at 6am in December and January was not enjoyable! Then having PT afterwards was not real fun either.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    Ours is 22 weeks and very paramilitary structured. You stay on site.

Ahh, the days of being rousted out of bed at 0550 and out the door lined up in formation for PT...
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    All that I know are a stay at home and most are now 12 weeks. State police is an on site academy.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information