Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Now What?

ryan36002 is offline Senior Officer
    Verified LEO

Now What?

I always see people asking, "Why are you a cop?" or "Why did you become a cop?" My academy told us to make sure you set a new goal once you become a cop. Most people are so focused on getting in they don't ponder what to do next.

My plan is to make detective within 10 years. I really enjoy being able to focus on an investigation without the distraction of patrol work. I would like to retire as a detective and then double dip at the academy (State retirees can work there for 1200 hours a year). If I don't make detective then I plan to leave patrol work and teach full time.

If you are badge carrying member of the club what is your plan?

If you are still in pursuit of the badge, what do you plan to do when you get one? (Try to come up something more original than "I want to help people.")
    "You will learn more with your ears than you will your mouth!"

op246 is offline Officer First Class
    I think I would like to teach. I have been on for 2 years and right now my goals are more short-term. Like getting my intermediate license, etc.

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    I spent 20 years at a large dept. I taught at the Police Academy for 15 years. Now, I am retired from there and work for a small dept. I also teach a RADAR instructor course for another academy. I also train the officers in my dept. and well as reserve officers. I love it!

DIESEL326 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    My first goal after starting (got hired 03/22/04) was to get into SWAT, and I was accepted onto the team 12/10/05. Next was to be a Sniper, I graduated our in-house Sniper School 03/07/08, and that was the big one, a lifelong dream. I was also selected as a FTO in '06, and that has been a great experience. My current goals are (in no particular) Master's Degree, Drug Task Force, and take the supervisor's test, just for the experience. I do want to make rank one day, but I'm in no big hurry for that. I also wouldn't mind teaching one day, I always admired my professors who had 'been there done that' moreso than the ones who'd done nothing but collect degrees. My everyday goal is to not become one of the bastards that sit around bitchin and moaning about everybody and everything. I am lucky enough to work at good professional department that is very squared away for the most part, and I want to do my part to keep it that way.

Hannah87 is offline Giggidy... Giggidy..
    Verified LEO
    I just got hired in December. My first job straight out of the academy. My ultimate dream is to be a k9 officer someday. Drugs are a big problem in society these days and i'd like to get rid of them... or some of them i guess.
    May you rest in peace Daddy and may you never hurt again. I love you and miss you and can't wait to see you again.

12/12/44- 2/26/09

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    No plan. I'm doing what I love until I don't love it anymore.

Then I'll do something else.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

BlackNwhite is offline Officer First Class
    Gangs. I have no clue why im so interested in them

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I actually reached my goals and surpassed them. Being close to retirement, I am leaning towards finding something totally away from LE. I have been thinking something medical-ER tech, OR tech, something interesting that does not require a ton of school.

On the other hand, getting into one of those high-paying Police Mission jobs overseas for a year or two has crossed my mind too.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ideally I would like to get narcotics or dual purpose K-9 unit established here at my department. I had been rather gung ho about it the last few years, even getting some experience with my own Malinois to possibly use here. Now with 3 small kids I'm hoping it will play well into the plan on down the road a few years when the kids get bigger. This will give me more time to wear the admin down, and more street experience on top of my 8 years.

After that it's hopefully Detective Bureau. If not Investigations then I'd like to remain on patrol in a Sgt role, but not any higher.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Riggs is offline P2Dawg
    My first goal after the academy was making it through probation. Now that I've accomplished that I just want to continue to work patrol. I have little interest in specialized units (narco,vice,gangs), detective work doesn't really interest me because I hate wearing formal attire, rising through the ranks isn't my thing
    (was a SGT on my last PD and didn't care for it....LT and above reeks of politics IMHO). P-3's (FTO's) on my department seems to be more hassle than it's worth.

So for now I'm just gonna focus on bettering myself in general and making myself a better patrol officer. I've only been workin the streets a short time so maybe someday this will all change.....but I'm content at the present time!
    I don't make things difficult. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Field work for now. I've been in the investigative arena twice. I devoted my career to that very thing only to have it snatched out from under me both times when I would not conform to administration. I like what I do right now but there is supposedly a big shake up coming due to the Sheriff not being pleased with work performance. I may be a Deputy again soon. Right now I just want to avoid retirement. I haven't the slightest clue what I will do then.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information