Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    matt86 is offline Piggy
    Verified LEO

What kind of cuffs do you carry?

I've been fighting it for a while and have tried everything to help my poor blued peerless cuffs... but they always rust within a day or two of the treatments. I've recently even tried soaking them in wd40 and they looked great... and then rusted again the next day. So I'm looking for a new set of cuffs. What are the best out there? I'd love to keep the blued look but if they all rust like the peerless I'll go for the traditional.

I've been thinking about getting some of the asp cuffs in OD green from Galls (it'd be easy to spot my cuffs at the county) but am worried about how well they hold up since they had the safety issue when they were first released.

Thanks and be safe

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Smokey703 had a person bend and literally almost break out of a set of ASP cuffs. JMO but I'm not going there. I carry two sets of Smith and Wesson steel triple hinge cuffs. I like them but they also rust. Only not as often as yours are. I don't care for chain although I keep several pair in my unit for back ups.
    Cuffs are a tricky thing. Each of the cuffs I carry can be easily defeated with ordinary items. Standard cuffs have their limitations.
    There have been a few security cuffs placed on the market but with them not being universal, needing a different type key, most agencies forbid their usage.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

matt86 is offline Piggy
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Smokey703 had a person bend and literally almost break out of a set of ASP cuffs. JMO but I'm not going there. I carry two sets of Smith and Wesson steel triple hinge cuffs. I like them but they also rust. Only not as often as yours are. I don't care for chain although I keep several pair in my unit for back ups.
    Cuffs are a tricky thing. Each of the cuffs I carry can be easily defeated with ordinary items. Standard cuffs have their limitations.
    There have been a few security cuffs placed on the market but with them not being universal, needing a different type key, most agencies forbid their usage.
    Were those the asp cuffs that were made before their re-engineer or after?

I have a set of the chained smith and wessons and they feel very sturdy.. they are just too small for a lot of the people around here so I have been carrying the peerless ones. I love the peerless cuffs but the rust is just horrible. Are the regular peerless cuffs better about not rusting?

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I don't get a choice as the force provide mine and I'm way too tight to lash out and buy my own.
    Anyway never had a problem with them.
    Hiatt speedcuff(rigid cuff)
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I carried a set of S&W stainless for thirty years, they never rusted and no one except a few women got out of them. The problem with them is they are small and didn't stretch enough when you put them on a big person. I also carried a set of hinged Hyatt's and the never rusted. One way to keep them from rusting is to USE them.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Were those the asp cuffs that were made before their re-engineer or after?
    Not sure but thanks for mentioning that. I didn't know.

One way to keep them from rusting is to USE them.
    Yeah ya right.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

matt86 is offline Piggy
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
    I carried a set of S&W stainless for thirty years, they never rusted and no one except a few women got out of them. The problem with them is they are small and didn't stretch enough when you put them on a big person. I also carried a set of hinged Hyatt's and the never rusted. One way to keep them from rusting is to USE them.
    Well mine rusted overnight after I cleaned them. It's not any of the moving parts that rusted either... its the arms.

I have some Hiatts in my bag that I was issued but don't like them because they don't seem to be as smooth. I might try to pick up some of the old fashioned chrome colored peerless cuffs.

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    matt are you an officer?

Verified LEO
    I clean my cuffs with clenzoil. You can find it at baumshoe.com I also clean my gun with it. in 11 years no rust

matt86 is offline Piggy
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    matt are you an officer?
    Sorry, should have mentioned that before. I am and am currently in the process of getting verified.

baumshoe is offline Baumshoe Law Enforcement Supply
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    I have carried peerless stainless cuffs for 8 years. No rust..I purchase my equipment at www.baumshoe.com There better than Galls..

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by baumshoe View Post
    I have carried peerless stainless cuffs for 8 years. No rust..I purchase my equipment at www.baumshoe.com There better than Galls..
    shameless plug

matt86 is offline Piggy
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by baumshoe View Post
    What do you use to clean/oil them? I love the peerless cuffs it just doesn't seem like the blued finish is worth anything.

Verified LEO
    http://www.clenzoil.com/

Clenzoil is a great cleaner and lubricant. This is the only oil i put on my gun and cuffs. If you need oil make sure you contact www.baumshoe.com they had the oil $3.00 lower than anyone else.

matt86 is offline Piggy
    Verified LEO
    Sounds good... I'm thinking about trying to salvage them before I fork over the $80 bucks for two new sets of cuffs.

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    You could de-grease them and then paint them with epoxy paint like they use on firearms. Just becareful that you don't put to heavy a coat on them.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Send them off to Wilson Combat for Armor Tuff, or Robar for NP3.

The finish will not affect the tolerances, and it will last quite a while.

I use one pair each of Stainless S&W - one chained, one hinged.

When my blued S&W hinge cuffs got bent, I bought a new pair from Baumshoe and sent the old pair back to S&W.

S&W repaired them and sent them back, and included two new keys.

Never seen rust on any of them, and I live in the Northwest.

If you need new cuffs, Baumshoe sells them cheaper than anyone else I have seen.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Cool Breeze is offline 303rd Logistics
    Verified LEO
    My primarys are Hiatt's hinged. They're a little expensive, but are like the BMW of cuffs, at least IMO.

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by matt86 View Post
    What do you use to clean/oil them? I love the peerless cuffs it just doesn't seem like the blued finish is worth anything.
    I carry blued Smith, 1 hinged, and one chain. I had a pair of Hiatts stainless that I LOVED, but the hinge somehow got bent a bit so they are now backups.

I wipe mine down occasionally after an arrest or douse in sanitizer. The rust is minimal on them and I dont take care of them for crap compared to the rest of my equipment. I think the light rust adds character.

IMO, keeping cuffs at a high polish means they arent being used enough.

Quote Originally Posted by baumshoe
    ...shameless plug....
    Man serious- check out their kick ass website- they have everything and the site just looks bad ass.
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    I have the same pair of Hiatts hinged cuffs that I used when I was an MP. They are 22 years old now and still work great. I have been thinking about getting the ASP ones since I heard that they redid them. We have a few people here that use them and so far they have not had any problems. I may wait longer though, just in case.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information