Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    That's what happens when you leave.
    Whatcha mean, he left???

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

FishTail Guest
    I don't really want to go into the whole thing. Suffice to say he's not contributing any longer.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

REGEX is offline Rookie
    I have asked different cop friends of mine about the whole people buying you lunch thing. All of them said they would never do it because most people will expect you to let them off when they do something stupid. Though, even them offering would make me alittle uncomfortable.

deputy29 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    In my state we can't even let someone buy us a cup of coffee.

tx-leo is offline Troll Hunter
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by WAMBAUGHREADER
    People here dont give you the option. If theyre gonna pay for it, its already done by the time you get to the register.

Same here. Which is fine with me because then I don't know who it is.
    "I'd rather hunt with VP Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy ."

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
    temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin

PACMAN is offline Officer
    I actually had the Chaplin riding with me a couple of months ago and we stopped at "pick-up stix" for chow. While we ere eating some guy came up to me and gave me two gift certificates for free meals at the resturaunt. he said "officer please accept these gist certificates from a citizen saying you guys do a good job in a society that is thankless for the crap you guys put up with". I took the certificates and thanked him. After he left I gave the certificates to the Chaplain and told him to hand them out at church on Sunday to a family he felt needed them. I also told him that since I am such a prick I need all the help I can get if this whole "judgement Day" thing turns out not to be bullshit after all......anyone who knows me, knows I am not very religious, I am done fighting holy wars for all those assholes whether it's the Jews, Christians, Catholics, or Muslims. In the words of R. Lee Ermy, to me you are all equally worthless. except the Buddhist you guys are cool

True story...

Sleuth is offline SS/A (Ret.)
    I used to teach ehtics at our academy. As previously noted, if someone paid our bill, we would leave the amount (plus a tip) on the table. None of us were for sale for a lunch, any place, any time.

WE also have an obligation to avoid the appearence of improprity.
    Survival is the only Victory!

lcsodre108 is offline DUI Persecutor
    I won't let a citizen pay for my meal. It just doesn't seem right. We have a bail bondsman who has tried to take me out for lunch several times, but that just seems wrong, because then he will expect me to refer people to him, which is against the law.
    www.alliedoddballs.com
    I can't do this test when I am sober!

Respect My AUTHORITAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lcsodre108
    I won't let a citizen pay for my meal. It just doesn't seem right. We have a bail bondsman who has tried to take me out for lunch several times, but that just seems wrong, because then he will expect me to refer people to him, which is against the law.
    Yep. An old cop told me when I first came on, "Everybody wants to fuck a cop, one way or the other". There are some people who want to be nice out of the goodness of their heart, but not that many, really. I found it easier to just pay my own way and steer clear of potential problems. I got into enough hot grease as it was w/o asking for it.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    I wouldnt knowingly allow a person to buy my meal, etc even though its been offered. On occasion door security, etc will offer various things, a coke, meal, etc but with them its going to cost far more in later life.

On the other hand I have accepted discounts from premises that offered it, not always, sometimes its too much and you feel guilty.

On the other hand sometimes it gets silly, I worked a football game on the Sunday after the Dublin riots recently and I went to get a hotdog, well the guy waves me away "No good today guard, my daughter was in town yesterday and one of you guys looked after her until she was safe".

Within 10 minutes the guy had 15 cops ordering half the menu and I felt that was ripping him off plain and simple. I at least genuinely offered to pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

There have been many free meals I've accepted, but most of the time I had to "sing for my supper..."
    I can think of a number of occassions where a crime occurred outside the restaurant my partner and I were in, affording us a great on-view of the offense. On more then once an intoxicated, abusive, or problematic diner was surprised by the appearance of two plain clothes Cops.

I do not know if I would accept a meal from a civilian...it's never come up in my career. I've graciously refused Pizzas and other food delivered to the Station (You never know what it might be "laced" with).

I honestly believe there's a distinct difference between making a demand for a free meal, and the Restaurant giving you the meal, NO STRINGS ATTACHED. I would never intervene in a civil matter, give the restaurant a break on parking enforcement, etc., in enchange for their meal being comp'd....

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I've had a few occasions where someone paid for my meal. Everytime, I only found out when I went to pay for it myself. And there are businesses around that take good care of us...

Generally, if I know, I'm going to turn down something given only to me by a private citizen. Our GOs and policies say that we aren't supposed to accept them on an individual basis, though if it's offered to the squad or department, we can, so I'll just thank the person, and explain that I'm not allowed to accept it. And I don't abuse the places that give us a discount by hitting them so often that they're gonna go broke, nor do I expect a discount. I pay whatever they charge me...

As an example in the "individual/squad" thing, a few years ago, our officers had to provide extra security to the schools during the DC sniper incident. One of the schools wanted to thank the officers by buying them dinner. When the brass explained the policy -- the school had dinner catered for each squad one night when they worked.

kalco251 is offline Rookie
    I usually go home for lunch. That way I know who made the meal and all the ingredients. I am lucky that I have that option and understand most officers do not.

Our policies do not allow officers to accept any free food/drinks. The restaurants are aware of it and usually do not offer many discounts. However it does create a scene when you have to argue to pay your bill. If they refuse full price, I leave the difference on the table.

Also, always tip the waitress based on the full amount of the bill...

George

jcsgrl is offline Banned
    I was on a ride-along once and we went to supper, when the officer had to pay the bill it was less and he wanted to know why the cashier had put a discount on it, she said it was company policy, he made her give him full price for everything.
    I think the policy here is anything worth more than $.80 isn't allowed. Food or presents or anything.
    The officers here know I support them, so I don't have to/nor would I buy them food. I did create a piece of artwork that I gave to the department once.

besafe2 is offline Rookie
    Former leo here
    Why didn't the ride along pay ? I know whenever now a days I ride with one of my friends I always pay what ever the tab is.
    I think I can see from the answers here that I would never offer to pay for any ones meal that I do not know.
    Quite frankly years ago when I was le, I don't remember any one offering to pay so I confess I never really gave it much thought. I always paid what ever was charged & if discounted left enough tip to make up the difference.
    Please stay safe in all you do, also know I pray for each of you daily. Thank you for all you do. On Twitter at
    www.twitter.com/coachrowsey

Paul

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Bill

Yeah, let the citizen pay your bill; then wonder why IA gives you a call. Lots of Depts do this. Plant something and see you you handle it. Pay yer own way.

jcsgrl is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by besafe2
    Former leo here
    Why didn't the ride along pay ? I know whenever now a days I ride with one of my friends I always pay what ever the tab is.
    Are you referring to me or someone else? I would have paid, but he wouldn't let me, plus I was in HS then, maybe he didn't want me to pay. I don't know, you'd have to ask him.

Falcata is offline UK police officer
    I'd be more concerned about 'declaring' the gratuity later at the station...
    'The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
    but because of those who look on and do nothing.'

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern
    Yeah, let the citizen pay your bill; then wonder why IA gives you a call. Lots of Depts do this. Plant something and see you you handle it. Pay yer own way.
    Yep, if you can't afford to pay for it yourself, bring your lunch. IA complaints are like commendations, the ones you expect you never get. The ones you get always catch you by surprise. And a free meal is something that's really hard to justify when everyone else in the world have to buy their own.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information