Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Garbage Man Guest
    If the meal cost anything I wouldnt be eating there....just kidding.
    Actually I hate pettiness. I would feel awkward but after saying something like "thats allright you dont have to do that," I would accept it just cuz arguing about it would be uncomfortable to me.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    There's a big difference between accepting something given freely and expecting it. I go into a restaurant or business, I expect to pay. A few choose to take care of us to some degree; that's their business. I don't expect it, I don't ask for it. And I simply pay what I'm charged. The day I expect special treatment is the day that my integrity has been compromised. (OK, there are a couple of places that I trust to protect my food if I have to bail on a call; they understand what's going on.)

USofAcop is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by besafe2
    Just curious if after you had just finished a meal a citizen came up & thanked you for all you do then offerd to pay the bill would you accept ?
    Well seeings how every time I stand on the stoop of a returaunt with my "WILL WORK FOR FOOD" sign while in uniform I get complaints, I guess a free meal would be ok.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    For the second time in my career I had an anonymous citizen pay for my dinner this past weekend at work. I have no idea who it was, and didn't know until my partner and I went up to the register to pay.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by LawEnforcementForums
    For the second time in my career I had an anonymous citizen pay for my dinner this past weekend at work. I have no idea who it was, and didn't know until my partner and I went up to the register to pay.
    And if you ever find out who it was, you'll beat him senseless, right?

Seriously, it's kinda sad that cops can't enjoy things that other people enjoy (a couple I know won't even eat in a restaurant while in uniform, because they say that they feel like they're in a fishbowl or on display).

Ditto for picking up meals and such - When I meet friends that I haven't seen in a while, or new friends, it's not unusual for me to pick up the tab, and I often do that on ride-outs when I ride with officers that will even set foot in a restaurant - But if it embarrasses them, maybe I shouldn't anymore.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I work in a small town and have had people pay for my meal more than once or twice. However I do leave a good size tip and if I see them having dinner later, I'll pay for their's.

Once I helped a elderly couple that was stranded on the highway they had run out a fuel. I stopped at my city fuel point filled up a small gas can. Took it out to them and fueld their car. They offered to buy me lunch, I declined told them I was just doing my job!

2 weeks later my Chief received a thank you letter in the mail from the couple. Praising my good heartedness and not accepting the lunch he had offered.
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

zpd307 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    its a tough call. im in a smaller community. everyone here knows everyone else. they all talk about the cops here. someone would find out and claim to be on the take.....they are always trying to find shit on us and raise holy hell. just the way it is around here.

zpd307 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    its not to say that i havent, some people will insist no matter what. and by the way, it does suck that we have abide by special regs when others dont... oh well, thats the price for getting out of a couple of speeding tickets!

subvet is offline Rookie
    It has only happened once to me. The bill was payed for before I had a chance to pay. The gentleman was a retired officer himself.

sflcop is offline They pay me to play 12 hours a day!
    Nope.... what happens if you then have to write that person a ticket, or even worse take them to jail?
    In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

sflcop@LAWENFORCEMENTFORUMS.CO M

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    After reading the first few pages here I decided to post this incident that happened to me about 8 years ago.
    I was inline at a convienance store with a magazine {NO NOT THAT KIND, motorcycles probably} a drink and something else. I was detailed to a state park for the day so its a nice break from all the ghetto action. While inline the cashier looked around all the people in front and said LOUDLY "Hey Officer, its ok, I got your stuff, its on me" I said uh NO THANKS, I got money. Not a problem just wait on everyine else. I had my wallet in hand etc.
    Phew talk about embarrassing moments. EVERYONE looked at me.I just kinda buried my head in my vest and paid when I was up..
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    No.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    I wouldn't let one of the locals pay of course he was a fellow officer, then I would have no problem. My luck they would have a hidden camera and it would be edited to look as if I didn't pay at all and I would be all over WGN news by 9pm.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Would you let some one buy your meal ?

Depends:

How cute is she?

Will my wife find out?

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WAMBAUGHREADER
    Not much you can do if someone beats you to the check. If they expect quid pro quo.... fuck 'em.
    Agreed! If one cannot do something kind out of the goodness of his/her heart; don't bother doing it at all!

Radar is offline We all bleed blue
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Normally, i'd say no. But I have had someone pay my bill at a resturant for me once.

I had directed traffic around an MVA scene for about an hour and a half on a busy intersection during rush hour traffic, cars backed up for miles, with everyone having short tempered hostility directed at me.

We (My FTO) and I, had been enroute to a resturant to have dinner when we came around a corner and right up on a fresh crash. So I'm directing traffic till my arms are about to fall off, with my FTO watching me, a couple of PST's doing the crash report, and two other officers blocking a couple of lanes for me, while talking to my FTO.

After we cleared the crash, all six of us went out to eat together at a nice famous local bar and grill. While we were there, a little girl, maybe 9 or 10, came up to us and was talking to us, ask us if we we're really policemen, if we would say hi to her little teddy bear she had with her, stuff like that. My FTO and I were the only ones that really talked to her, and she ran off to her daddy for awhile. Just before our food came out, she came running back over with a picture she drew, of the earlier crash site, complete with the two squad cars, the two crashed cars, and a little stick figure directing traffic. She came up to me and goes "Were you directing traffic?" I said yes I was, and she goes, "I thought so" and turns to my FTO and goes, "you waved at me, I drew this for you" and hands him the picture she drew. We both thanked her, and she ran off. Her and her dad left right after that, as our food was arriving.

Later, we sat around for what seemed like forever trying to get our bill, when finally the manager comes up and goes "I'm sorry we kept you waiting, there was a man in here earlier who paid all of your bills in full. He also wanted me to tell you thank you for everything you do."

I have no clue who the guy was, but he was nice as anything. In lieu of paying our respective bills, we all left about $30 in tips.

Traditionally, I don't expect handouts. I'll take them on occasion, but would prefer not to. Especially if they expect something in return (more than my patronage and the dedication to my job I give them while on duty).
    Here Speeder, Speeder, Speeder

"Oderint dum metuant" - Caligula

"How come you only call me when someone's dead?"

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    In the Met. Police we had Police Canteens that we were required to eat in. You could get away with buying a Take A Way to take back to the canteen (as most were shut) on Nights. Would I accept it free? Nope.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

thepman is offline Rookie
    I agree...sometimes we don't have a choice. it is just taken care of w/o us noticing. Especially if it is a sit down resturaunt. Then we will leave a good tip for the person serving us.

Ditto LongTail...say no and with great appreciation, suggest the money go to any charity.

Nope. But the times that a citizen has paid for my meal I found out when I went to pay. The waitress wouldnt tell me who paid so all I could do was look around the busy place and smile...just to let the kind person know that I was thankful.
    " A law is valuable not because it is a law, but because there is right in it." - Henry Ward Beecher

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information