Welcome to the APBWeb.
    txdm40 is offline Rookie

life span of body armor

Ok so long story short I recently passed the state peace officer exam. That being said I have been working in the jail waiting on a deputy position to open up. Finally after 4 months of being certified I have been offered a position. My agency however does not supply body armor. Being that we have had more shootings than before and i am going to be on the streets soon I am going to have to buy my own armor. I have been looking at used armor on the web and was wanting some input/ info..... What is everyone's opinion on used armor and what is the average lifespan of bodyarmor? Best brands in terms of: comfort, dependability and personal opinions???

thanks
    Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.

--- Matthew 5:9

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Without knowing exactly how old a vest may be, how much it was used and sweated in, what kind of care it received, how well it may or may NOT fit you (you should be measured for proper fit by someone who knows what they're doing), is it really worth your life to save a few bucks?

If I had to take out a loan for a new one, at least I would then know what I have.

(Remember also that most vests should be replaced at the five year mark, no matter how good they may still look.)

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post
    Without knowing exactly how old a vest may be, how much it was used and sweated in, what kind of care it received, how well it may or may NOT fit you (you should be measured for proper fit by someone who knows what they're doing), is it really worth your life to save a few bucks?

If I had to take out a loan for a new one, at least I would then know what I have.

(Remember also that most vests should be replaced at the five year mark, no matter how good they may still look.)

I would have to fully agree with cajunguy.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Buying used body armor is a crapshoot. You don't know how old it is, how it was treated, and what happened to it.

There are things to save a buck on. Body armor ain't one of them. Get the best quality you can afford. Get it properly fitted. And WEAR it. Every time you hit the streets.

Manufacturers suggest a 5 year life span. It's probably still good after 5 years (which is why there are programs to donate used vests to cops in places overseas where they can't get new ones as easily)... but are you willing to bet your life on it?
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

txdm40 is offline Rookie
    thanks for the feedback on the used armor however this being my first armor purchase i am not sure about brand reputation, comfort and dependability.. I have heard good things about 5.11 and I have also heard good things about first choice...

thanks again
    Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.

--- Matthew 5:9

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Do not try and save pennies on body armor. DIESEL326, from this site just tried out several different body armors for patrol use at our agency. I would ask him for his opinion. I think he tested out four or five dfferent models from different companies. I will tell you that the extra money you spend on the the lighter ballistic panals is worth it.

Also, submit your info to Pudge so we can get you verified.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    There are some things that are just worth the extra cost for quality.

Motorcycle helmet

Ballistic vest

Toilet paper

Beer
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut Aficionado View Post

Motorcycle helmet

Ballistic vest

Toilet paper

Beer

Call Girls
    Needed to add one for you

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I recently bought my own vest at http://body-armor.com/ and love it. Great customer service too!
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

n30
    n30 is offline A woman in man's job; but always a lady ;-)
    Verified LEO
    way out sw fl by the everglades. im over it
    I agree w/ all who responded, except caveman. Since I'm a girl I have a dif of opinion on the call girl thing, but I'd personally add wine to the list. And maybe a great looking studmuffinish pool boy-toy to rub suntan oil on me wearing a speedo, and he belongs wearing a speedo! lol
    vest: Rookie, I assume youre a guy. Vests are difficult enough to get comfortable, w/o hassling w/ somebody's rejects. It's better than nothing I suppose, until you can save up for one, but I recommend ccarding it. As everyone said, it's not worth your life. Our dept replaces ours every 5 years. and beign a girlie girl, it's hard enough to get them to fit right, even from scratch. lol such problems us girls have in this job...

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Buy a new one and be done with it. You will get it sized right and you know it will be good for the next 5-7 yrs. Plus you dont have some other persons sweat soaked into it
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

n30
    n30 is offline A woman in man's job; but always a lady ;-)
    Verified LEO
    way out sw fl by the everglades. im over it
    thats so totally gross... altho they can be washed.. thank goodness.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    First of all, n30 I'm hoping (visualizing) that avatar is a self-portrait. Very nice.

Secondly, you may consider adding a level of puncture protection as well if you're buying your own. When I worked at a Sheriff's Office I offered to pay the difference if they would buy me a dual-protection vest. Of course, they said sure....and proceeded to just buy me a level IIa vest. It's something to consider. Knives are more common anyway (maybe not in TX).
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

Hondo is offline SRO
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut Aficionado View Post

Motorcycle helmet

Ballistic vest

Toilet paper

Beer
    UUUMMM you forgot donuts! Or does that go without saying

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    There are things to save a buck on. Body armor ain't one of them.
    Well put! I've come up with a growing list of items that I won't try to save a buck on:

1) Duty weapons
    2) Body armor
    3) climbing rope
    4) condoms
    5) vehicle airbags

... and so on.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradocop View Post
    Well put! I've come up with a growing list of items that I won't try to save a buck on:

1) Duty weapons
    2) Body armor
    3) climbing rope
    4) condoms
    5) vehicle airbags

... and so on.
    Make sure you include shoes.

Nothing makes a day go by slower than uncomfortable, crappy shoes or boots!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    These guys are right! My old department changes out all issued armor after three years. Pricey but very much worth it.

There are a lotta things that could go on that list and guns and armor are right at the top.

Car 4

P.S. Stay away from used women too.
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    You obviously have heard alot so far, but do yourself, your family, your co-workers a favor. Dont be cheap when it comes to your life. I personally think it depends on how much sweat the armor comes incontact with, how often its maintained ect... You will find in the states that have a higher heat index, the vests more than likely expire quicker.
    Here in ohio, its really only hot pre say for 3 or 4 months out of the year.

I've had my Second Chance Ultima threat level 3 for about 6 years now. Am i do for another vest, yes, am i going to get a brand new one, you betcha ass i am. I have a beautiful family at home, and i dont want a piece of armor decideing if i get to come home or not.

The vest that i wear, is very comfortable, very light. If i wear a uniform, or am in a cruiser for any reason, i have it on.
    I had my life threatened a few years ago, by some big time drug dealers. I wore that vest everyday, even to the store. Thats how thin it is.
    Good Luck on your choice!
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Thread Information