Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    msbrum13 is offline Rookie

Police Career in Older Years

Any of you out there get a late start in life with regards to starting a law enforcement career?
    If so, what age?

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Left at 25, came back at 34, does that count?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We have a guy who retired from the post office and then started his police career.

He's laid back, but doing a good job.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Some departments have age limits, for NYPD you can not file for the test if you are past your 35th birthday.

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Fifteen years as a reserve deputy, couple more part-time, didn't actually start my full-time, paid LE career until I was 44.

Dang, that must make me oooooold.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post

Dang, that must make me oooooold.

Very...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Very...
    Yeah, but still going strong, CB.

And still enjoying it.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My academy class had several 38 year olds who retired from the military.

My department's current department has a 38 or 40 year old in it now.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

oldtrooper is offline Rookie
    The most recent Mississippi Highway Patrol trooper school had a candidate that graduated who was 55 years old and had never been in law enforcement. He stated that he had always wanted to do this but never could afford to quit a good paying job. He said now that the kids were on their own and he had a good retirement it was time to do what he always wanted to do. I had a young police officer that made the cut and was accepted and finished with this group and he told me the "old guy" never fell back on anything and was not given any special treatment. I can vouch for the fact that this is a tough program.

MHP has had several retired military that completed the program and started a LE career in their forties. For many years you could not have reached your 36th birthday but that was eliminated several years ago.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    My dept began to hire older people in the 1980's. At one time the max age was 30, then upwards. Recently the oldest a sworn officer can be was upped to 65. That was a change from 60.

In 1985 I was the oldest one in my academy class at 38. I'd still be there if it wasn't for Parkinsons.

One outstanding officer now is in the over 60 group, he went thru the academy at age 52, no prior LE experience, with some military retirees. With several large military installations in the area, senior NCO and Officer types with 20+ are looking for that 2nd career.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtrooper View Post
    He stated that he had always wanted to do this but never could afford to quit a good paying job...
    Off topic a bit, but notable... What does this say about 'our chosen profession'? (A topic for another thread).

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Our upper age limit was 30, 35 for veterans when I came on. Sometime in the early 80's they did away with it.

We had one guy who was a retired Army CSM and another was a retired Navy SEAL Master Chief. Both were great cops. I know there are several other retired military, I just knew these guys personally.

Only drawback for them is it's pretty unreasonable for them to get max retirement, but then again they also have their military retirement.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Off topic a bit, but notable... What does this say about 'our chosen profession'? (A topic for another thread).
    To be honest, that's why I left the South years ago. In 1976, I went back to Texas to a school and was the only Oregon cop there, all the rest were Texas. It was kinda embarrassing because I was making twice what most of them were. That's a rotten shame because the work is identical no matter where you are. I was fortunate since I worked where I made a really good living and now have a fantastic retirement. I frankly don't think I could have afforded it if I'd stayed in Texas. The cost of living is a little cheaper down there, but not that much. Unions can be a pain, but I'm grateful for mine.....

But as I said, the work's the same, the pay should be more on a par wherever you are.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    My academy class had several 38 year olds who retired from the military.

My department's current department has a 38 or 40 year old in it now.
    In fact, as I recall, a couple were into their forties.

I was 30 when I started... Old enough that I definitely felt the rotating shifts and didn't bounce back the same way while I was on the street -- while still young enough to do some pretty stupid things. But also wiser and more mature in how I handled some calls.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    I was 34 when I graduated the academy and wasn't the oldest in the academy. Good points of being older is more mature, more life experience which helps you dealing (and talking) to people. Bad points is you're pretty damn old when retirement get there.

AlDeputy is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    After spending 16 years in the Army Military Police, I retired and got out of Law Enforcement for a few years and then became a reserve Deputy in 2001 and went full time in Aug 2006, I had to go to the Academy and went at 45 and was the academic honor grad and I wasn't the oldest. Wasn't the fastest runner nor could I do the most push-ups or sit-ups, but there were a lot of 20 something year olds that could not keep up with me.
    But you're a deputy, you can't give me a ticket!

Yea Ok, sign here and press hard there are 4 copies!

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    I dont think there is really a point that you cant apply or do the job unless you are physically not able to.

I would imagine that there are a lot of departments that will look at age to determine if you are a long term hire. There is a lot of time and money spent in training and educating of a new officer and if you are only going to work 5 years and get out, you might not be of to much interest to teh department. If you plan of putting in a bunch of years then I think you get bumped up the list
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    My dad went into the police academy when he was 50. He was in the 5th academy class AFTER mine. We were the first father-son combo where the dad was in after the son.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

Checkman is offline What's the nearest cross street?
    Verified LEO
    I was 32 when I got hired. I had spent the previous eight years on active duty with the U.S. Army.

n30
    n30 is offline A woman in man's job; but always a lady ;-)
    Verified LEO
    way out sw fl by the everglades. im over it

wow

how cool is that?? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by deputysykes View Post
    My dad went into the police academy when he was 50. He was in the 5th academy class AFTER mine. We were the first father-son combo where the dad was in after the son.
    V

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information