Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Indy Guest

Between a rock and a hard place

Well my PITA brother has once again gotten himself into trouble with the law. Without going into detail, he's possibly looking at some jail time and we've been told the police are writing up their probable cause for an arrest.

I'm not asking for advice for him as he's got a lawyer who will handle that side of things. I know you guys can't advise on this anyway, so no point in writing about it.

My question to you is this: he has been deemed uncooperative by the police & his laywer has now instructed all his immediate family members not to speak to them at all. He says they will likely come a'knocking to our homes and ask various questions. Am I going to be recorded as being "uncooperative" with the police when I refuse to talk to them?? What is this going to look like when I'm applying at departments a year from now if they are saying that when questioned about an incident, I would not speak to them?

I'm really sick and tired of getting tangled up in HIS messes! He can not seem to get his life on track and it just gets worse and worse. There's no reason for it. He's just being an irresponsible idiot.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    What is this going to look like when I'm applying at departments a year from now if they are saying that when questioned about an incident, I would not speak to them?
    Won't hurt you a bit, and most likely won't come up at all unless you live in a tiny town where word gets around. While they will ask if your family or friends have been involved in criminal activity, they also understand that you can't control every aspect of your family life. You have every right not to speak with the police if you wish. Hope it works out for the best!

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    Won't hurt you a bit, and most likely won't come up at all unless you live in a tiny town where word gets around.
    No - Indianapolis is pretty decent sized city. I also don't plan to stay here, I'll be several states away.

You have every right not to speak with the police if you wish. Hope it works out for the best!
    Yeah - I know I have the "right" not to, I just didn't want it to be a negative mark against me and have them wonder why I wasn't offering all information up regarding a "crime."

Thanks for your response.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Your name wouldn't be stored in a way that an agency you apply with would know that info, so don't sweat it Plus I don't know many people that would hold that against someone.

Indy Guest
    Is this something I would need to list when asked to disclose "all contact with police?" Isn't that one of the questions on the application?

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Nah, all they asked me about was charges including traffic infractions. If it were just contacts with police, you'd have to tell them about every accident scene you were a witness at, every time you called the police about a noise outside, etc. Seriously, they won't think anything of it. If he did something real bad that you might have known about/took part in/covered up then you might have to worry. But this isn't a big deal.

Indy Guest
    Nah, all they asked me about was charges including traffic infractions. If it were just contacts with police, you'd have to tell them about every accident scene you were a witness at, every time you called the police about a noise outside, etc. Seriously, they won't think anything of it. If he did something real bad that you might have known about/took part in/covered up then you might have to worry. But this isn't a big deal.
    Thanks again.

Bearcat06 Guest
    Indy, Remember this......

I have a buddy who works in your fair city as a FBI Agent. Before he was out of the Army, his Daddy screwed up big time and got convicted of theft in a Federal Court and spent 2 years in a Federal Pen. My buddy (and his brother) are both Federal LEOs now....

During their background phases with their agencies, they were very up front and open about Dad and all his woes......and they never, ever had a problem getting a job with the Feds......

You will be fine.........

Thread Information