Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Skyy is offline Rookie

Opinions on Glock?

I will be purchasing a new weapon here in the coming months. I was considering the Glock, for a few reasons. First, their reliability. But the second reason, and the bigger reason, is I will also be purchasing and carrying a smaller backup, that will also be used as a concealed weapon. A friend brought it up that it'd be optimal if the primary and backup gun could use the same magazines, if sh!t really hit the fan and I not only needed my backup, but needed more rounds.

I want a 45 caliber, for the slower velocity and higher damage infliction. The recoil isn't an issue (I honestly can't tell a difference).

So I was looking at the G21 and G30 as a backup.

However, a friend today said that while the magazines do interchange, the large capacity mag will not lock into the compact G36. So I'm looking for opinions regarding this, and the weapon choice in general. Thanks!

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    I have carried and owned Glocks of several calibers....I like the guns and have never had a complaint..... and the idea of having your backup fire the same round has real merit.

But if you really want the top of the class in .45 auto...go for a quality 1911.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I have it on VERY good information that a 9mm Glock with 115 gr JHP wont penetrate through a car door from the inside from about 12-18 inches away. At least not an early 90's Caprice.

Seriously I like a heavier round. I also think a 1911 and lots of training/practice would be the way to go.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

213th is offline Solipsist
    I think Glocks are a very effective and reliable tool and not one I would trust you with.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    I own three. 17, 22, and a 26.
    Wouldn't use any other for duty.

Skyy is offline Rookie
    That wasn't a very helpful post at all 213th. I realize the things I say here are not always going to be on the beaten path. But don't draw conclusions on the type of person I really am. It is entirely possible that I conduct myself very differently outside of the internet. That's the advantage of anonymity. And while it may not be favored by all, especially here, it is something that's important to me. Now back to the subject at hand.

I've heard a lot of really good things regarding the 1911s, and I like the Kimbers a lot. My first concern is that the magazine capacity is relatively low. The second, is that if I were to carry a backup weapon, it would not use the same magazine. So the backup weapon would be useless after just a few rounds. Do they make a compact 1911-type weapon that uses a primary magazine of small capacity, yet can utilize the same magazine as a full size 1911?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge concerning firearms, but I'm trying to learn! Thanks for the helpful posts!

Ok, after looking around on Kimber's site, I see they do offer a 3 and 4" barrel version of the 1911. However I believe they still use the same magazines, thus have the same height, as the full size.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    I own three. 17, 22, and a 26.
    Wouldn't use any other for duty.

As do I: 21, 22, and 27.

The 22 and 27 would be a good choice Skyy. Cheaper to practice with too. .45, .40, and 9mm are not that much different when have good shot placement.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I carry a Glock 22 on and off duty. I love it and have no trouble concealing it with a good holster.

I'm also a Glock Armorer and it is hard to find another gun as simple and reliable.

There is no bad gun if it is reliable and you can shoot well with it. Your plan for the magazine fitting in either gun is a good idea too.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Skyy is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I carry a Glock 22 on and off duty. I love it and have no trouble concealing it with a good holster.

I'm also a Glock Armorer and it is hard to find another gun as simple and reliable.

There is no bad gun if it is reliable and you can shoot well with it. Your plan for the magazine fitting in either gun is a good idea too.
    Being a Glock Armorer, do the magazines interchange no problem? For example, if I take the longer G21 magazine, and put it into a G30 like a normal magazine swap, can I release the slide and expect the G30 to function exactly like if it had the shorter magazine in it (Except with more rounds of course)?

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyy View Post
    Being a Glock Armorer, do the magazines interchange no problem? For example, if I take the longer G21 magazine, and put it into a G30 like a normal magazine swap, can I release the slide and expect the G30 to function exactly like if it had the shorter magazine in it (Except with more rounds of course)?
    the 21 mag works just fine in my G30. The 21 magazine will not work in the 36 as that uses a single stack mag.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    I never had a problem with my duty glock and or my back up glock. Great guns, very simple

But over time, I have noticed that there are many guns out there that I like better because of grip, weight, etc.

Now I carry a Springfield XD as my primary and a glock as back up.

I dont think you would being throwing away money if you were to go the dual glock route, it is a great feature to have interchangable mags (Depending on guns)

I personally, now, knowing not much , would fire a few different guns to see what you like before anything
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I like Glocks and loved my Mdl 21, but after I retired my dept had a couple go kaboom. The first time they thought it might be the ammo, but after the second one, they pulled all the issued and reissued Mdl 17's.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My first concern is that the magazine capacity is relatively low.
    My first concern as an instructor is someone who expresses concern about magazine capacity.

If you haven't solved the problem with the first five, step aside and let a shooter handle it.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Skyy said
    My first concern is that the magazine capacity is relatively low.
    Seriously? Then what do you think about the fact that my main carry gun is the Ruger SP101 .357? It only holds 5 rounds. I have a Glock, the M23 and like it ok, I just shoot revolvers better.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    I carry a Glock 23 on duty. I like them okay. I have since bought three of my own also- a G23, G27, and G35. It's nice to not have to rethink the operation of any of the three since they all work the same way. The mags for the larger frames work in the smaller frames (35 mags work in the 23 and 27. 23 mags work in the 27).

One thing I personally stopped doing was keeping a Glock on the bedside table. Since I try to be self-aware and evaluate myself, I started to analyze how I actually go about waking up from a deep sleep. After doing so, I don't advocate the Glock action for a bedside gun.... for me.

My latest bedside protection is a S&W Model 19.

Norm would be proud!
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by CT209 View Post
    I carry a Glock 23 on duty. I like them okay. I have since bought three of my own also- a G23, G27, and G35. It's nice to not have to rethink the operation of any of the three since they all work the same way. The mags for the larger frames work in the smaller frames (35 mags work in the 23 and 27. 23 mags work in the 27).

One thing I personally stopped doing was keeping a Glock on the bedside table. Since I try to be self-aware and evaluate myself, I started to analyze how I actually go about waking up from a deep sleep. After doing so, I don't advocate the Glock action for a bedside gun.... for me.

My latest bedside protection is a S&W Model 19.

Norm would be proud!

I am! I am!
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    That wasn't a very helpful post at all 213th. I realize the things I say here are not always going to be on the beaten path. But don't draw conclusions on the type of person I really am. It is entirely possible that I conduct myself very differently outside of the internet. That's the advantage of anonymity. And while it may not be favored by all, especially here, it is something that's important to me. .

Skyy, knowing 213th I am certain he was joking. Don't be so defensive. I know the subject is important to you but lighten up. Take teasing as it is meant, he would never judge you by your online personality.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I took 213th at his word and agreed with the sentiment. I also found the phrasing humorously dry.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I carry a G22. My only concern with it is that the case is not fully supported, but that's only a real concern if you reload. I have seen several reloaded .40 S&W rounds blow out on Glocks, which is a painful experience.

A lot of reloaders swap out the barrels with Lone Wolf or similar because of chamber support and the polygonal rifling on the original Glock barrels, which is not bare lead-friendly - the lead build-up can cause preassure spikes and kabooms in Glock barrels. With ammo prices so high, reloading practice rounds is a growing consideration.

XD's generally work fine with reloaded ammo, assuming it's a quality reloading job.

My G22 also had a couple of defects out of the box: A trigger safety blade that kept jamming (thus preventing a trigger pull), and a weak Slide Lock spring (which caused the slide to lock back prematurely). This wasn't noticable until I did some rapid fire exercises a few weeks ago - The more rapid recoil was apparently enough to bounce the slide lock lever and lock the slide.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    Skyy said

Seriously? Then what do you think about the fact that my main carry gun is the Ruger SP101 .357? It only holds 5 rounds. I have a Glock, the M23 and like it ok, I just shoot revolvers better.

Have you been through the Concealed Carry course?
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information