Welcome to the APBWeb.
    mikesbales is offline Rookie

Exclamation Academy Still Possible?

I just turned 21, when I was 18 I got a Class A Misdemeanor for "Unauthorized Use of Unversity Property" (I changed the letter "C" to a "G" on my parking pass to park closer) Anyways, now i'm of age and considering the academy and I wanted to know if that would really hurt my chances. Thanks in advance.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesbales View Post
    I just turned 21, when I was 18 I got a Class A Misdemeanor for "Unauthorized Use of Unversity Property" (I changed the letter "C" to a "G" on my parking pass to park closer) Anyways, now i'm of age and considering the academy and I wanted to know if that would really hurt my chances. Thanks in advance.
    Well if it comes down to you and a guy/girl that doesn't have any convictions, then yeah it would probably hurt you. I got a Class C Misdemeanor for underage drinking when I was 19. I didn't get on a department until I was 27. And a Minor Consumption isn't even a crime of deception, where yours was. A background investigator might be troubled by the deception part of it. I say go ahead and try to apply at a couple places. Even if they are not ready to hire you, you can get experience with how the hiring process goes. Get a decent job, and stick with it. Show some stability. Stay out of trouble. Make yourself the kind of person departments would want to hire. Get a college degree, preferably bachelor's. It may not be what you want to do, but a stint in the military for a few years might look very good on your resume. And that's the kind of thing that A) builds your character, B) shows you have matured past your 18 year old hi-jinks, and C)gives you a step up on those applying that don't have military experience. Try to get into the MP's while you are in. Then when you get out, apply for depts. But no matter what you do, make sure that everything you do is moving you forward toward your goal of becoming a cop. And stay away from anything at all that could possibly hamper your efforts.

I'm curious when, and how you came to decide you wanted to be in law enforcement?
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Some frat brothers and I stole a gas powered golf cart. This thing would haul a$$ for a golf cart. We also had a scanner with us. Every time campus safety tried to hem us up we got out of it. We also trenched the hell out of the girls practice softball field with it. We never got caught. We did, however, get caught stealing pumpkins by the local PD. Some of those guys are still in law enforcement too. Bottom line is I told my former and current employers about it. Without exception they all appreciated my honesty. I was most worried with my current employer. The captain actually said about the pumpkin issue that the reason that there was no paper regarding the incident is because the guys on scene must have been impressed with the way we handled ourselves after getting caught. The moral of the story is LYING ABOUT SOMETHING IS OFTEN MUCH WORSE THAN WHAT YOU DID. Another thing, those rookies that think they are perfect generally really have a hard time with FTOs

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Seems like this would be the bigger issue for you:

Quote Originally Posted by MikesBales
    Okay, heres the story: The gym near my house had a wallet stolen from the locker room. Apparently someone cut the lock on some guys locker and got a little cash, and never used the creditcards. That day I had gone into the gym, and no sooner did I get into the locker room than I realized I was late for a date so I left, no big deal. Well apparently the wallet was stolen sometime around the time I was in their, and to make things worse, my friend who came with me was in the parking lot smoking a cigerette (smart before working out I know) and apparently someone complained that he looked 'suspicious' well about a month later two detectives knock on his door saying they 'know' it was me, and then 2 months after that I get a call from a detective wanting to talk to me. I go in voluntarily and talk to him and I offer to take a polygraph test to prove my innocence. I am scheduled to take it next wednsday, but after hearing his 'evidence' which is nothing more than I was their during the timeframe, and I was the only one who got their and then immediatly left he thinks it was me. I've done some research on polygraphs and found out they are just a little more accurate than an educated guess, I'm worried that if I go in and take it and for some reason fail one of the questions that it will make me look alot worse and I will get some pretty bad interrogation for something I didnt do. So my question is what should I do? Should I take the test or tell him that what he has is circumstancial and that I dont have to prove that i'm innocent, but he has to prove that I'm guilty? Thanks for reading all this I know its a long un'
    Voluntary Polygraph Test????

Terminator is offline BANNED
    P.S. - You might want to secure your PhotoBucket account. There's nothing bad in there, but I took a look and found this:

Apparently you like bees, which must be why you belong to the beekeeper forum. Of course, all of that is none of by beesness.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Don't feel bad blades, this is a cop forum, and we investigate everything.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This guy has more bullshit questions on topic forums than I have hairs on my head.

Adoption, bees, car trouble, you name it.

In another thread he says he adopted a child from Russia and was inquiring about genetic testing.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    New hobby brought about by the computer age: Thinking up and asking random questions.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    New hobby brought about by the computer age: Thinking up and asking random questions.
    Is there a forum where one could ask questions about how to practice this new hobby?

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    With the economy being like it is more folks are clamoring for jobs. So agencies can be picky right now. So it may make things more difficult for you than it did say, 2 years ago.

But don't give up! It wasn't easy getting into LE when I started looking for work. Just keep putting in applications and whatever you do, never lie and never change your answer!

This job is prestegious in that the only people that get in are the ones that want it bad enough.

Good luck!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    thats not exactly the crime of the century. im sure almost every officer on this site has done something worse than that. we may not have all gotten caught and convicted, but most of us were probably honest about what we have done in our pre-employment polygraphs, so in essence, we did sort of get caught. departments understand that people make mistakes. those who are honest and display integrity can usually overcome those mistakes in this profession.

i wouldnt think that this incident should hinder you too much if you are open and honest about it up front. i could be wrong though.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Thread Information