Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do police administrators forget the job or lose touch with officers on the street?

Do you think police administrators lose touch with reality, forget the job, and lose touch with the officers on the street?

Why or why not?

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    With a name like "snakeinthegrass" i'm not sure I wanna answer...
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

slamdunc is offline On The Beat
    This depends; some do and some do not lose touch. There are some working chiefs of police, as well as deputy chiefs and other command personnel. When I say 'working', I mean those still following calls and backing their guys up.

Just because an administrator no longer works the streets, doesn't mean he is out of touch. There are also some officers who go to work every day, and do not have a clue as to what they are supposed to be doing.

I would rather have an administrator who knows his shit show up on my call to assist, than an officer who is going to be a liability.
    'The Art of War' teaches us to "Rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's coming, but on our own readiness to receive him"--Sun Tsu

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    That's one thing I see that's so neat about Dallas' Police Chief David Kunkle - I've heard that he makes it a point to go on patrol like once every month or so, just to keep in touch with what's happening on the streets - Stuff that he can't gleem from statistics and briefings.

I have an extended family member on the force who seems to love the guy because of little things like that.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Pudge is offline Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeInTheGrass
    Do you think police administrators lose touch with reality, forget the job, and lose touch with the officers on the street?

Why or why not?

Captain? Is that you???

I thought we told you the answer to this....
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Pudge is offline Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    All joking aside, it depends on the person and how they were "brought up" through the ranks
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I imagine it's like anything else- some people kick back and gain weight while their staff runs the place, and others are right in the mix. Hard to believe some chiefs even leave their guns at home.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    I think the higher up they get they loose spinal fluid, and therefore only do what they are told. They dont have the save the world ideas anymore and they have gotten use to bending over and taking it. ooo sorry, didnt mean to offend but i speak the truth.

BEK you're gonna be sent to a re-alignment camp if you don't watch out

(\__/)

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    At least in my dept., the job is completely different. How good a cop you were has nothing to do with how good an administrator you'll be, the job requirements are nowhere near the same. I've worked for some captains and lieutenants who were great street cops, but sorry ass commanders. They didn't know how, pure and simple.

A lot of my command people never worked the street all that long to begin with and most weren't that good. That's why they moved up in rank, trying to find a position where they felt comfortable. Here it's not so much they lost spinal fluid, they never understood the job that well to begin with. There are exceptions, but not many. All we could hope for would be that they would at least try to get us the stuff we needed to do our job.

Our current chief is one of the exceptions, but he's working for a super liberal mayor now and there isn't much he can do to protect people. If he does too much, he's gone and some dweeb will be appointed. That's another problem, any chief that's not responsive to the pols will be replaced just about anywhere.

The only reason most depts work at all is that there are usually enough people who enjoy the job and do it in spite of the command and politicians. And there wasn't enough money in the world to make me take the lieutenants test......
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

lcsodre108 is offline DUI Persecutor
    In some cases they do, but I must commend our Sheriff. He went to the academy, even though he did'nt have to, and he patrols almost as much as a full time officer. It is rare that he is not out at least one night of the weekend, usually he comes out both nights, he responds to all kinds of calls, and is pretty good backup.
    www.alliedoddballs.com
    I can't do this test when I am sober!

Respect My AUTHORITAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    Over here you get promoted by being a prick to your officers, saving money and starting the most usless operations and ideas.

Sergeants are mostly fine, its a standard promotion that many take however once you go beyond that your looking at officers and politics kick in.

Oh and in case you didnt guess, I hate the higher ups in my force.

I mean, what kind of a boss wouldnt fight for mace, stun gun or even an ASP for his officers? What kind of a boss doesnt look for body armour? A political puppet worried baouot his fat pension thats who.

Oh and these people are the same ones telling us not too be corrupt or abuse prisoners cause they wont stand for it but the reason were being told us because THEY DID IT!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Garda30055A
    Sergeants are mostly fine, its a standard promotion that many take however once you go beyond that your looking at officers and politics kick in.

That's the way it is here. I was acting Lt. for a couple of months. I couldn't believe the backstabbing that went on at that rank, not the troops but each other. However, doing the troops was certainly an option open to all if it would make any look better to the chief.

I'm glad I did it because it squashed any idea I ever had for upward mobility.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

After hearing you guys talk about this, I think I have a better system: The Rank & File votes a real cop in for "Chief of the Month"... After a month, vote another real cop in for "Chief of the Month"... Then have the Union or Police Association guarantee a lawsuit will result if there's any retaliation from the politicians just because the acting Chief rocked the boat a little.

Normally I don't like unions, but sometimes they're necessary

Yeah, I know, it'd never happen, and the politicians would figure out a way to retaliate anyway, such as withholding funding - There would still have to be some sort of Civilian control at the top, after all.

Also maybe my idea would work for a small department, but I guess a large department with huge multi-year planning issues would suffer from inconsistent and inexperienced leadership. Oh well...
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 03-21-06 at 11:47 AM.

(\__/)

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    After hearing you guys talk about this, I think I have a better system: The Rank & File votes a real cop in for "Chief of the Month"... After a month, vote another real cop in for "Chief of the Month"...
    Oddy enough, the worst chief we ever had probably would have been elected if there had been a vote. Penny Harrington was a very popular Lt and then captain here. She would listen to the rank and file and always stood up for us against the chief's office.

Then they made her chief (she was the first woman chief of a major police dept) and she went nuts. I won't go into details, too many of them, but she was given a no confidence vote (the first and only vote of that kind we ever had). The mayor had to fire her, she was an absolute disaster. Goes to show you never know until they get there.

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    I heard all kinds of rumors about her down here. I'd love to hear a few good tidbits.

Oh well, that's probably why they never voted me in as King for a Day

(\__/)

lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......
    I agree with the general consensus that it depends on the department and the size of the agency. I work for a large department and once you hit lieutenant, you can forget working the streets. Even at our sergeant level, you are an administrator.

Many of the command staff are very aware of the fact that they don't do the day to day things anymore and are very receptive to the concerns of the officers. I can't complain since they get me the equipment I need, and they leave breaking it off in you as a last option.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lesta311
    Even at our sergeant level, you are an administrator.
    That's the way it is at the precincts where I work. But when I left, all our detectives were Sgts. Since then, they've changed it, but detectives still get Sgt pay and are their own civil service rank.

Our uniform Sgts never do police work other than supervise major incidents.

lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt

Our uniform Sgts never do police work other than supervise major incidents.

Same here. Although the brass has lost touch with things, there is a neccesary function they do. My district Captain is very into results based accountability. Once I got promoted, I started attending community and department meetings. It was nice to see the other side of things and it gave me a better understanding of where the memos and changes of philosophy come from. I am also seeing how many complaints come into the department and get handled on a higher level. I'm happy with my current chain of command since my Captain and Lieutenant seem to understand the human side of the job and are considerate of mistakes, and accomadating with schedule problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information