Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Hide it or flaunt it?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flaunt, criminals beware

2 2.99%
  • Flaunt in an understated way

10 14.93%
  • Only on "special" occasions

27 40.30%
  • Hide it ALWAYS

28 41.79%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    hush29 is offline Corporal
    I don't like to involve work with my family. I run into people I have arrested many times, but luckily I've had very few of those people recognize me. I don't flaunt it, but I always carry off-duty, unless I'm drinking.
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by hush29 View Post
    I run into people I have arrested many times, but luckily I've had very few of those people recognize me.
    My experience in that is they are just about always more afraid of me than I am of them.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

JSO85360 is offline Coming soon through a door near you!
    Verified LEO
    I'm one of those people that no matter how intimidating or unfriendly I look, there is always somebody that feels like they need to approach me and ask me where they know me from. Sometimes I recognize them, sometimes I don't, but I always give them the same answer, "you've mistaken me for someone else, is there something I can do for you?" Then I just give them my best Charley Manson stare, and they apologize and go away.....
    The six o'clock rule
    I tell them to act according to the six o'clock rule, a phrase that causes most of them to say, "Huh?"
    I tell them to use this little test before they decide to do something. If they were to do what they're thinking about, and it became the lead story on the six o'clock news, would they be proud? Would their department be proud, and would their family be proud? It's a simple way to live your life both personally and professionally.

Bruce Thomason

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

chewy is offline 1 CoastieRisk!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post

I really have come to hate it when someone announces to others about where I work. My friends and family know better, but there often seems be 'that guy' around.

Me too but I think we were talking about identifying ourselves as LEO's not if we were embarrassed for others to know WHAT agency we work for!
    Grumpy bastard sick of it all!
    Guns Don't Kill People, Radical Pro-Lifers Kill People

bone crusher is offline "Buck Savage is my hero"
    Verified LEO
    i always have my gun and badge on me, but there usually in an ankle holster and the badge in my pocket. with all the tattoo's i have people expect me to be the perp not the cop lol.
    My computer once beat me at Chess but it was no match for me at Kick Boxing

Verified LEO
    My tats used to work, but now people look at me and something just tells them 'cop'.......now I can skip shaving for a few days, get grungy, and walk into anyplace in town and most people just stay close to the hold up alarm, but since I'm not in vice, that only gets to happen on vacations......you'd think a snake wrapped around my arm hissing at a black rose of death (with skull in center) would send most people running, but now everybody has tatoo's. some of the guys have sleeves on both arms. sometimes I wish I didn't have them for two reasons; they are identifying marks and when we have award banquets and anything where all the brass is gathered, I have to wear long sleeve shirts, and it's hot in FL.......
    The six o'clock rule
    I tell them to act according to the six o'clock rule, a phrase that causes most of them to say, "Huh?"
    I tell them to use this little test before they decide to do something. If they were to do what they're thinking about, and it became the lead story on the six o'clock news, would they be proud? Would their department be proud, and would their family be proud? It's a simple way to live your life both personally and professionally.

Bruce Thomason

GASheepdog is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I never tell anyone that I'm a cop when off-duty or do anything to advertise it. I always have a gun, badge/ID, and handcuffs in case I feel that I must take action while off-duty. Luckily, this has only happened once.

Somehow, though, people seem to figure it out. This year I took my wife out to dinner for Valentine's Day. When the waiter dropped off the check, he asked me, "excuse me, sir, but are you a police officer?" I was going to tell him no, but when my wife started laughing, well, the answer was apparent. It was actually cool, because the waiter was a college student who wanted to go into LE. We had a pretty good conversation; he wasn't one of those "hey I want to be a police officer but I did (fill in illegal controlled substance) 50 times last year and I' ve had 6 speeding tickets since 2005."

I asked him what gave it away and he said, "I don't know, you just have the look." I'm not sure what he meant by that. My wife says it's because I never smile
    Be kind, be courteous . . .

and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by GASheepdog View Post
    I never tell anyone that I'm a cop when off-duty or do anything to advertise it. I always have a gun, badge/ID, and handcuffs in case I feel that I must take action while off-duty. Luckily, this has only happened once.

Somehow, though, people seem to figure it out. This year I took my wife out to dinner for Valentine's Day. When the waiter dropped off the check, he asked me, "excuse me, sir, but are you a police officer?" I was going to tell him no, but when my wife started laughing, well, the answer was apparent. It was actually cool, because the waiter was a college student who wanted to go into LE. We had a pretty good conversation; he wasn't one of those "hey I want to be a police officer but I did (fill in illegal controlled substance) 50 times last year and I' ve had 6 speeding tickets since 2005."

I asked him what gave it away and he said, "I don't know, you just have the look." I'm not sure what he meant by that. My wife says it's because I never smile
    I'm supprised they let your wife bring you into the restraunt, with those big ears, and that shiny black nose.......what did you order? Alpo tar tar?
    The six o'clock rule

Bruce Thomason

GASheepdog is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by JSO85360 View Post
    I'm supprised they let your wife bring you into the restraunt, with those big ears, and that shiny black nose.......what did you order? Alpo tar tar?

I had to bare my teeth and raise my hackles, but they were eventually persuaded.

Actually, earlier today I posted some pics of myself in the squad room. My avatar is my pet German Shepherd Dog, a true sheepdog in every sense of the word. Some people scoff when I say this, but one can become a better cop if one models the character traits and qualities of a good German Shepherd Dog.
    Be kind, be courteous . . .

and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by GASheepdog View Post

I had to bare my teeth and raise my hackles, but they were eventually persuaded.

Actually, earlier today I posted some pics of myself in the squad room. My avatar is my pet German Shepherd Dog, a true sheepdog in every sense of the word. Some people scoff when I say this, but one can become a better cop if one models the character traits and qualities of a good German Shepherd Dog.
    I admire the relationships between the K-9 guys and their dogs. Some of them are just amazing.
    The six o'clock rule

Bruce Thomason

AZInterceptor is offline "Oh, Oh, Oh!"
    Verified LEO
    Not ever. I never get pegged as a cop and i'd like to keep it that way, wearing one of those "look at me, I'm a cop" t-shirts would screw it up.
    Here's to our girlfriends, and our lovers... and may they never meet.

IDBLTAP is offline "Donuts...are there anything they can't do?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    I dont flaunt it. My biggest problem when I first became one was to have my non-cop friends keep their mouths shut about what I do. A few times of them screaming "she's a cop" and a few "come to the light" meetings later they stopped.

I will say though that although most of us profess to hide our "cop-ness" most long time criminals can usually spot us from a thousand miles away unless we make honest attempts to hide that which gives us away. Just food for thought.....a tshirt or a bumper sticker is usually NOT what gives us away.

I had that problem with family members too. I finally had to sit my mom down, tell her to stop the proud mom stuff, and explain to her in graphic detail what could happen if the wrong people knew what I was.

I also have a friend who is an undercover. A couple weeks after he starts his new job he comes back home and goes out to eat with his family. They were at one of those japanese steak houses were everyone sits around the grill and the cook does all the fancy knife flippy crap. His mom was talking to a couple of complete strangers about who he was and what he did. He calmly told her to stop at the resturant but after they left he went off on her because he had already explained the situation to her before that. Her response "you have to believe in the inheriant good in people." NOT IN OUR PROFESSION WE DON'T.
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. -- Psalm 144:1

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    When I am asked, I usually tell the person that I work for the county or for waste management. I figure the second one is true because I do take out the garbage at my job. After 9 years in the Army and 12 here, most people seem to figure it out already anyway.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ex401mp View Post
    When I am asked, I usually tell the person that I work for the county or for waste management. I figure the second one is true because I do take out the garbage at my job. After 9 years in the Army and 12 here, most people seem to figure it out already anyway.
    Yah...you look so innocent and sweet and are such a people person, I dont know how they figure it out.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

ANI4ANI is offline Served my city 1972-1997
    Verified LEO
    I've found many officers have that "cop look". Think about it, cops have a certain stare, a presents about them that normal everyday citizens do not. I was volunteering in a nearby local hospital surgery unit when a patient asked what I did for a living. I said, I was retired but go ahead and guess. Her first guess...a cop! Damn, you shittin' me? Keep in mind, I was retired 11 years at the time. She told me, you look like a cop. I don't wear police stuff, except for my off-duty gun in my pocket of course. But I have been to police/fire supply stores and I do find myself buying/wearing firefighter t-shirts. Only at good sale prices. Overall, people like and smile at firefighters. They frown at cops. In the state of Ohio, officers can obtain FOP license plates. Yikes! Why?
    As today's police officers you are not unlike your counterparts of years past. You are an elite group of select members, a brotherhood of highly trained professionals, who are called upon to protect your community in a time of need. Guardians for safety. Being a police officer is not for the faint of heart. You must be honest, trustworthy and fearless in the face of evil. You are being watched everyday. Represent yourself, your department and the shield, for it should always be the embodiment of all that is good and justly. You are the thin blue line. Be proud, be tough and be safe.

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    They frown at cops. In the state of Ohio, officers can obtain FOP license plates.
    No plates but I still have my emblem.

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    I dont flaunt it. I carry my badge in my wallet and most of the time (around 90 %) I carry a small backup weapon. No shirts, no special plates on my car.

Thankfully with my town being so close to a military base, having a high fade doesnt draw any particular attention.

I know younger officers that do..their mentality is they have a badge and a gun so they should shout it out loud. I quietly tell them that they shouldnt let the badge's identity become theirs.

To me there is no reason to involve my family in any off duty LEO function. Unless the situation called for it, I will be the best witness around. My children do not need to become involved.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    I normally don't wear anything cop related off duty. But sometimes when I'm doing Union stuff on post I wear a polo with my dept patch embroidered on it. I carry at all times except when I'm going on post.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

myers3808 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    I never wear anything that id's myself as a LEO in fact i'am like my good friend pudge I don't shave & I usually wear jeans & a hunting type shirt. I learned log ago that as a LEO the last thing you want is to draw attention to yourself.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information