Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Hide it or flaunt it?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flaunt, criminals beware

2 2.99%
  • Flaunt in an understated way

10 14.93%
  • Only on "special" occasions

27 40.30%
  • Hide it ALWAYS

28 41.79%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    TXPO710 is offline Dumb ole' Cowboy
    Verified LEO

Show your Pride?

I ran across a couple of articles that got me to thinking. One was all about hideing that your a cop. No t-shirt, hat, or other articles that would identify you as LEO. The other was about showing your pride and let the criminals fear us.
    I see thousands of firefighter t-shirts out there and very few for LEO so that set me to wondering how others felt. Hide it or flaunt it?
    Personaly, I wear a few things in an understated way. Got a belt buckle from the prison that I wear when I dress up. I keep a hat on the dash of my truck that I can stow away when the need arises and a T-shirt that I wear at certain events. How about the rest of you?

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    I don't wear anything LEO related at all that is visible to the public. Yearsssss ago I used to flaunt it, but not any more. Having a marked patrol car at my house has drawn unwanted attention on more than one occasion over the years.

I see firefighter license plates and ems license plates and at one time there was talk of some type of LEO license plate being available. I would not want one on my vehicle as it would to easily become a target for some scumbag to vandalize....
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    I am always very low key.....I want it to be a complete suprise when some jerk off screws up in front of me.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Under the radar and out of mind. If the trap needs to be sprung it will a complete surprise and merciless. This will be especially true if I am between my family and a threat.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    I voted "Only on 'special' occasions" because I'll often wear some sort of signifier if I'm headed to, say, the Chaplain's Dinner or something. Other than that it's on lock-down.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Under the radar and out of mind. If the trap needs to be sprung it will a complete surprise and merciless. This will be especially true if I am between my family and a threat.

+1

When I get those things as gifts from those who don't understand, I only wear them around the house. Nothing about my clothing says cop. As a matter of fact I'm very opposite when I'm off. Unless there is some special occasion, I rarely shave on my days off. My clothes tend to be comfortable jeans and a hoodie or tee shirt. Usually a hat of some sort (beanie or ball cap depending on weather) or the longer hair on top of my head is styled in a messy fashion to distract from the high and tight sides.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I agree with most, never wear anything that would give my job title away. I am with Pudge I do not shave when I am off, unless I get called to court, then well I have better..................... I am very low key and rarley attract any dirt bag attention, I guess being 6'2", 250 stops most dumb asses. I would also wear my hair alittle longer, but since I don't have any (shave) then I go for the baseball hat style.................lol
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    +2 Very rarely have I enjoyed the element of surprise my sworn adversary has always enjoyed since I've spent most of my career in uniform. If I need to take action off duty, I don't want the scumbag to know what hit him from where.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    +2 Very rarely have I enjoyed the element of surprise my sworn adversary has always enjoyed since I've spent most of my career in uniform. If I need to take action off duty, I don't want the scumbag to know what him from where.
    Not only that, why make it easier for the scumbags to see you? Really, we spend all of our LEO lives and training trying to make ourselves NOT the target...why be stupid and do so in our personal lives?
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    "Special Occasions" - if I'm going to/at training - I'm sure if I ever make it to cop week - stuff like that

there is always a tin blue line wristband on my wrist tho - in one shape or another - that's the only identifying markers I have on my person

(my POV's only have the thin blue line sticker on the back window)

I agree with most - if it goes down - it's going down fast, merciless, and with one hell of a surprise to the bad guy
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

chewy is offline 1 CoastieRisk!!
    Verified LEO
    I'm all for pride in being an LEO but the difference with us wearing cop wear and firefighters wearing hosemonkey wear is that the firefighters aren't likely to become a target to anyone. The bad guy out on the town may be completely pissed because he was arrested again for something then sees you standing there alone with your "I'm a cop go F*$k yoursef" T-shirt and suddenly he gets the idea that he'll take out his hatred of LE on you...
    Grumpy bastard sick of it all!
    Guns Don't Kill People, Radical Pro-Lifers Kill People

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chewy View Post
    The bad guy out on the town may be completely pissed because he was arrested again for something then sees you standing there alone with your "I'm a cop go F*$k yoursef" T-shirt and suddenly he gets the idea that he'll take out his hatred of LE on you...
    I wonder if there actually is a T-shirt with that slogan!

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    I dont flaunt it. My biggest problem when I first became one was to have my non-cop friends keep their mouths shut about what I do. A few times of them screaming "she's a cop" and a few "come to the light" meetings later they stopped.

I will say though that although most of us profess to hide our "cop-ness" most long time criminals can usually spot us from a thousand miles away unless we make honest attempts to hide that which gives us away. Just food for thought.....a tshirt or a bumper sticker is usually NOT what gives us away.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    I dont flaunt it. My biggest problem when I first became one was to have my non-cop friends keep their mouths shut about what I do. A few times of them screaming "she's a cop" and a few "come to the light" meetings later they stopped.

I will say though that although most of us profess to hide our "cop-ness" most long time criminals can usually spot us from a thousand miles away unless we make honest attempts to hide that which gives us away. Just food for thought.....a tshirt or a bumper sticker is usually NOT what gives us away.
    I agree, I hate when someone announces your profession, one time I was waiting online in the bank, saw someone I had not seen in a while and they yelled from their place on line "Are you still a cop"? The first thing that came to mind is if there is anyone in here looking to stick the place up I am the first person they would hit, of course you immediately canvass the area to see who else in banking. When I first moved into my house, I did not even tell my neighbors what I did. After a while they found out, I suppose having a friend from mounted stop by every so often and tie the horse up in my back year did not help matters (damn horse chewed on my deck too) LOL!!

You are right about the "cop-ness", it is probably the way we talk, walk and look at people and our surroundings.

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Spoken by someone that has been sized up a couple of times 2 Blue.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Only to things like special events. I wore a LEO T-shirt to a motorcycle competition not to long ago. Outside of cop oriented occassions I don't wear LEO clothing. I do however carry my 1911, a straight blade, a lock blade, a .25, spare ammunition for both and a little bit of attitude. Most folks in my city know me and know I carry anyway but I don't flaunt it. I've been accosted a few times off duty without flaunting my job but it was because they knew me anyway.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Typically don't flaunt it, unless I'm doing something "cop related"

I have a bunch of LEO tshirts, but wear them under button up shirts of hoodies.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Billy Mack is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I don't really hide it, but I don't advertise either.

It's hard to really hide. I've met enough people on the job that they generally recognize me when I'm off duty too. I treat people pretty well, and I tend to give the impression of being a bit crazy. Taking off weapons at the jail can be like a scene out of Mad Max.

I have a marked car in front of my house. I've had a couple people come to the door to ask questions in 12 years, but it's not that big a hassle.

I don't care if people talk about me being a cop when we're out and about.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    For years, depending on where I went, I was an offshore oil well worker if anyone asked. I would say I was a tool pusher and I would make up a company name. You would have to look hard to find anything on me that said "cop".

I also hate it when someone I am with volunteers my profession. I usually ask them if they want me hollering "Hey, he's a (insert car salesman, car wash manager, chef, etc here). I, too have had some words with such people.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    I voted for "Only on special occasions," i.e. Police Week in DC, training or networking with other LEOs, and in promoting my LE related business.

Other than that, I try to be low key even though I know I stand out. I do my best to blend in.

I really have come to hate it when someone announces to others about where I work. My friends and family know better, but there often seems be 'that guy' around.

"Stupid should hurt."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information