Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cop questions

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    I propose bright blue undercarriage LEDs on all cruisers.
    LOL perhaps some spinners while they're at it to really pimp their ride...

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    Our traffic cars have them as well as the siren/lights and all the car lights inclufing indicators flash.

Its enough to give you a headache and Im surprised they havent caused an accident
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

chris2001 is offline Captain
    I can't think of what city it is, but I read an article while i was at the academy about a city and agency that puts black light bulbs under the police cruisers. Apparently they officer are in such a high drug area, that the offender actually dump the dope on the ground. So to combat this and not being able to see the dope at night real well. They put the bulbs underneath the cruisers to help light up the cocaine, and other drugs that are white and or would give off that glow from the black light.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Billiardnut is offline Attack Pug Dog Handler
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK320
    Why is it that in hawaii the cops always have a blue light on top of the squad on at all times. Why is it that mich troopers still have the big bubble light on the car with stop worded across the hood, i never understood the stop on the hood.
    The STOP on the hood is actually POTS ... it just looks like stop because of the mirror reversing the letters
    Member of the Pervert Patrol - making sure the pervs are tracked and up-to-date.
    National Sex Offender Public Registry
    www.nsopr.gov

26Trainer is offline Master Officer
    Now if my memory serves me correctly a long time ago there was an international thing to make all police, fire, and ambulances distinguishable. If someone from another country or an american citizen went to another country they would be able to tell the differance between the various emergency services. The police were blue and red, fire department was red , and the ambulance was red and white. Most police department now use just the blue, guess the international thing went out the window. I'm sure someone from the older era or around the same time era will correct me if I'm wrong.
    "This flag, which we honor and under which we serve, is the emblem of our unity, our power, our thought and purpose as a nation. It has no other character than that which we give it from generation to generation." Woodrow Wilson, 1917

Quote Originally Posted by Billiardnut
    The STOP on the hood is actually POTS ... it just looks like stop because of the mirror reversing the letters
    No, it's there to stop people from slidding across the hood and denting it. lol.

Bearcat06 Guest
    Having been stationed in Hawaii....I will try to add my thoughts.

The Honolulu Police Dept. allows Officers that have 5 years or more on....and are in a Patrol or other positions (I can't remember them all) to purchase their own vehicle (there is a list of what they can and cannot have) and the PD makes payment on the vehicle and pays for the gas and the insurance. The logic being that folks take care of their cars better when they are the only one using it, higher visibility, and that all cars have company installed radios in them and they are (and do) expected to call stuff in if they are out and about off duty.

Nothing like crusing along H-2 and seeing some jackass blow by you at 90.....and being pulled over up the road because they passed an off-duty officer who called it in.......

While on patrol, the Officers keep the single strobe attached to the vehicle and will turn the light on to stay highly visible at night. If they are initiating a traffic stop, they activate it and it flashes.......to get you to pull over.

As for vehicles used.....there are anything from CV's, Impala's, lots of different SUVs, and such. I would suspect that some of them are buying the new Chargers.

When I was stationed out there in the late 80s/early 90s the vehicle of choice was the Olds 442 and the Buick Grand National Monte Carlo SS......
    Last edited by Bearcat06; 03-29-06 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 26Trainer
    Now if my memory serves me correctly a long time ago there was an international thing to make all police, fire, and ambulances distinguishable. If someone from another country or an american citizen went to another country they would be able to tell the differance between the various emergency services. The police were blue and red, fire department was red , and the ambulance was red and white. Most police department now use just the blue, guess the international thing went out the window. I'm sure someone from the older era or around the same time era will correct me if I'm wrong.
    Well I know all our emergency services use the same blue light and have the same sirens installed. Generally we dont use the same sound as fire and ambulance but we could should we want to.

The way its looked at here is that you move over regardless of police or fire so why distinguish?

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Here's Garda's Interceptor

(Just kidding)

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Cris1102 Guest
    Meanie!

26Trainer is offline Master Officer
    True you should move over regardless, I guess that it was some trial and error program. The only benefit I would see is that the criminal element could get a head start upon seeing the lights. Charlie I like that car is it for sale?
    "This flag, which we honor and under which we serve, is the emblem of our unity, our power, our thought and purpose as a nation. It has no other character than that which we give it from generation to generation." Woodrow Wilson, 1917

I wish! Thats Italian or Estonian by appearance but having a Smart city car as a patrol car sounds like an Italian idea

REGEX is offline Rookie
    You wanna a sweet lightbar, check out the OSP cruiser. They got the new LED's and those things can blind you from a mile away.

Bosco3379 is offline I'm the one in the middle
    They can also blind you if you are a few inches away and looking directly at it too, I know from experience
    Former member of the LNC

Will take verbal abuse for spare change

Some Of My Wicked Awesome Signature Banners

REGEX is offline Rookie
    Ya, I don't know if I would want to have a cruiser with them or not. They not only blind you but they kind of disorient you when you are coming up on them. OSP has enough people ramming into their cruisers, just check there web page.

http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/newsroom/video.htm

In the words of Tevya, from "Fiddler on the roof" the lighting packages on police cars are "TRADITION!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information