Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cop questions

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO

Cop questions

Why is it that in hawaii the cops always have a blue light on top of the squad on at all times. Why is it that mich troopers still have the big bubble light on the car with stop worded across the hood, i never understood the stop on the hood.

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK320
    Why is it that mich troopers still have the big bubble light on the car with stop worded across the hood
    That's for the idiots that think when a cruiser gets behind them and lights up, it doesn't mean "ready, set, GO!."

Bosco3379 is offline I'm the one in the middle
    Why is it that in hawaii the cops always have a blue light on top of the squad on at all times. Why is it that mich troopers still have the big bubble light on the car with stop worded across the hood, i never understood the stop on the hood.
    To annoy the rest of the world.
    Former member of the LNC

Will take verbal abuse for spare change

Some Of My Wicked Awesome Signature Banners

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    Why is it that in hawaii the cops always have a blue light on top of the squad on at all times.
    Because thats the way they did it on Hawaii Five-0.

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    I can't help you on the Hawaii question, but I remember reading some years ago that the Michigan thing goes back to many years ago when Troopers had to pull up next to the vehicle they were attempting to stop, and they would turn the "Stop" light on as they pulled alongside the violator. (Of course, seeing the sign light up next to the driver's side window, the violator would ALWAYS immediately pull to the side of the road and stop.) (Just like they do now.)

It was a tradition that they've kept over the years. Or I guess you could also call it a nostalgia thing.

I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will be along shortly to correct me, but that's what I remember reading.
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    The question remains:

WWDD

(What would Dog do?)

"When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

T202 is offline Rookie
    Cajunguy is right about the Michigan hood "stop light". MSP was still teaching side stops back in the late 1970's. You would pull up along side of a violator, wave them over, only to have them slam on the brakes and you would shoot by. You could back up and get behind him and look like an idiot or just keep going and act like nothing happened.

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by T202
    Cajunguy is right about the Michigan hood "stop light". MSP was still teaching side stops back in the late 1970's. You would pull up along side of a violator, wave them over, only to have them slam on the brakes and you would shoot by. You could back up and get behind him and look like an idiot or just keep going and act like nothing happened.
    Did they have hood lights back then? If so, what would be the benefit of a side stop rather than what is now the normal method?

Ken K is offline Banned
    Tradition is a great but sometimes retarding thing. I remember when we experimented with blue lights in the 70's. The Iowa Firefighters Association, a strong lobby group, raised hell that blue was fire and we didn't get the lights.

Today, all police units are well lighted with red, blue and yellow.

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    Why is it that in hawaii the cops always have a blue light on top of the squad on at all times.

hmmm, our lights are flashing blue on either side and in the middle we have a permanent blue light that displays the word 'Garda' for anyone that couldnt tell.

All emergency services here are blue.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

T202 is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    Did they have hood lights back then? If so, what would be the benefit of a side stop rather than what is now the normal method?
    The hood lights date back to at least the 1950's. Sometimes when you make a stop from behind, the driver doesn't or pretends not to see your lights and he continues on his merry way. They didn't want us following a violator for miles with the overhead on while everyone dives for the ditches except the guy that doesn't see you. So you pull up along side and wave him over. However common sense did prevail and the side stop is no longer taught.

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by T202
    The hood lights date back to at least the 1950's. Sometimes when you make a stop from behind, the driver doesn't or pretends not to see your lights and he continues on his merry way. They didn't want us following a violator for miles with the overhead on while everyone dives for the ditches except the guy that doesn't see you. So you pull up along side and wave him over. However common sense did prevail and the side stop is no longer taught.
    Interesting...thanks.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    thanks guys, just need some dudes from hawaii on here to tell why there lights are always on.

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    Shenanigans!
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......
    thanks guys, just need some dudes from hawaii on here to tell why there lights are always on.

I'm not from Hawaii, but I do know why they use the bubble light. I asked that question to a Hawaii officer who explained that it's mainly for high visibility. The steady blue light lets people know the police are present for general deterence or in the event they are needed for an emergency.

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lesta311
    I'm not from Hawaii, but I do know why they use the bubble light. I asked that question to a Hawaii officer who explained that it's mainly for high visibility. The steady blue light lets people know the police are present for general deterence or in the event they are needed for an emergency.
    So what do they do when they are pulling someone over? Turn on the other colors?

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    So what do they do when they are pulling someone over? Turn on the other colors?
    Start the flash/strobe I presume.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

Jay7376 is offline Master Officer
    T202 is correct about the stop bar on the hood of the cruiser. I have always wanted to get a hold of one for my office, however, they sometimes go for $300+ on ebay.

As for the big bubble light on the roof, well, MSP is big on tradition and they just don't want to get rid of it. I hear that there is only one company in the US that manufactures the bubble light, and MSP is the only purchaser of that specific style light. MSP cruisers also do not have cages in them and per policy, the troopers double up at night.
    Last edited by Jay7376; 03-22-06 at 04:25 PM.
    I'm a PUBLIC SERVANT, so I'm not permitted to use my own judgement in any way.

lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Garda30055A
    Start the flash/strobe I presume.

That's absolutely right. They have a light bar and strobes along with the single beacon light.

Prometheus is offline Senior Member
    I propose bright blue undercarriage LEDs on all cruisers.
    "Look, just give me some inner peace or I'll mop the floor with you!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information