Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Funny off duty encounters

Another thread got me thinking about this, namely Roadwarrior's post in the Show your Pride thread.

What are some of our verified's funny off duty encounters that they wouldn't mind sharing with site visitors? Here is one of mine.

I'm off duty dress in sandals board shorts, and an old frat t-shirt with our letters arranged like a Phish concert t-shirt. Still armed and carrying my badge under the shirt. I'm on my way to a little get together, so I'm at a grocery store to pick up some snack food for my part. I get out of the SS, and I'm walking the lot toward the store when this teenager approaches me from a group. He's like hey man can you help me out. I don't know, what do you need? Can you buy me and my frineds some beer? I start looking around, and ask him if this is some sort of sting or something? [I'm selling it too] Kid is like no way man we're cool. I don't know buddy there are cops all around this place all the time, and they will bust me not you. Kid offers to make it worth my while. [I'm dying inside with laughter] Listen kid, there are cops all around here. Kid offers me $20. "I don't need any money bro, JUST YOUR ID [as the badge comes out]. Pure intestinal pain is displayed across his face. He hands me his ID. I look at it, well Justin looks like things are kinda crazy around this place huh? No response. I hear there are some trouble makers about. Especially the kind that like to mess with people's stuff when they are not around [like my damn car so here comes the Godfather speech]. I'm not going to hold anything against you, but I need you to make sure nothing happens to my car here. You're going look after it like it was your own. If a bolt of lightning happens to come out of the sky I want to know which cloud it came from. If you do a good job and my car is in prestine order when I get back remind me to give your ID back to you. You got that? I go in, get my stuff. I even pick up some beer just for the hell of it. Load up the things in my car. I toss Justin's ID back to him, give him a wink, and tell him I'll see him and his friends in church on Sunday. The look on the whole group was priceless.

More stories later.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

hush29 is offline Corporal
    The other night a few of us deputies, some other friends, and my sister are all out for drinks at a local bar. We are sitting at a table kind of in our own little corner in the bar. A guy sitting at the bar keeps buying us drinks. There is probably 7 or 8 of us sitting there, and this guy buys us each 4 or 5 drinks throughout the night.

So, I take a good look at the guy and recognize him. I know I've seen him before but i can't place it. Finally, I realize it's a guy I arrested for DUI about a week prior. During the arrest, he seemed like a cool dude, so I approach him and thank him for the drinks, thinking he would recognize me. Turns out, he was buying my sister the drinks, but he didn't want to be rude so he bought the entire table drinks.

I made sure he felt like an ass when I told him it was my sister he was diggin on.
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Since I drive a sportscar I am constantly getting young guys next to me rev'ing their engines in an invitation to race. Lovely to watch faces when the badge gets flashed.

Besides, they wouldnt win anyway.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Another thread got me thinking about this, namely Roadwarrior's post in the Show your Pride thread.

What are some of our verified's funny off duty encounters that they wouldn't mind sharing with site visitors? Here is one of mine.

I'm off duty dress in sandals board shorts, and an old frat t-shirt with our letters arranged like a Phish concert t-shirt. Still armed and carrying my badge under the shirt. I'm on my way to a little get together, so I'm at a grocery store to pick up some snack food for my part. I get out of the SS, and I'm walking the lot toward the store when this teenager approaches me from a group. He's like hey man can you help me out. I don't know, what do you need? Can you buy me and my frineds some beer? I start looking around, and ask him if this is some sort of sting or something? [I'm selling it too] Kid is like no way man we're cool. I don't know buddy there are cops all around this place all the time, and they will bust me not you. Kid offers to make it worth my while. [I'm dying inside with laughter] Listen kid, there are cops all around here. Kid offers me $20. "I don't need any money bro, JUST YOUR ID [as the badge comes out]. Pure intestinal pain is displayed across his face. He hands me his ID. I look at it, well Justin looks like things are kinda crazy around this place huh? No response. I hear there are some trouble makers about. Especially the kind that like to mess with people's stuff when they are not around [like my damn car so here comes the Godfather speech]. I'm not going to hold anything against you, but I need you to make sure nothing happens to my car here. You're going look after it like it was your own. If a bolt of lightning happens to come out of the sky I want to know which cloud it came from. If you do a good job and my car is in prestine order when I get back remind me to give your ID back to you. You got that? I go in, get my stuff. I even pick up some beer just for the hell of it. Load up the things in my car. I toss Justin's ID back to him, give him a wink, and tell him I'll see him and his friends in church on Sunday. The look on the whole group was priceless.

More stories later.
    Officer discretion. It's a good thing. That was very cool of you, not locking the kid up.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    Officer discretion. It's a good thing. That was very cool of you, not locking the kid up.

Discretion...more like me on my way to a backyard grilling party and being out of my jurisdiction.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    The best one that ever happened to me was many years ago. I usually won’t go to bars and clubs I consider trouble spots, but my wife’s friend just had to go dancing at a trendy nightclub and convinced my wife that we should go. In order to keep a more tranquil home life, I bowed to the pressure and agreed.

Since I intended on having a few beers while I was there, I brought no gun. As we were sitting in the club, I picked up on a guy giving me the "hairy eyeball" treatment. I recognized him as a former arrestee. I tried to ignore him while at the same time keeping an eye on him, if you know what I mean. Finally he walked up and confronted me.

He said, “You’re that cop who arrested me!” I looked at him all confused and said, "What?" He went on to say, “Yeah, you’re that cop from --- University and you arrested me last spring!” I started laughing and the guy asked what was so funny. I told him, "I’m not a cop- I’m an accountant. But you must be talking about my brother.” I went on to say that my brother was a cop and also a flaming a$$hole and rest of the family wouldn’t even talk to him. The guy ended up agreeing with me and actually bought me a beer and we spent about 15 minutes hammering my “brother” calling him all kinds of names.

My wife just sat there and couldn’t believe it. Later I re-explained to her why I didn’t enjoy going to clubs where thugs hang out. We have never done it since.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-05-09, 11:19 PM

Thread Information