Welcome to the APBWeb.
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: question

  1. #1
    lacrosse_fan is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    03-30-06
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    question

    Hi. I'm 19 yrs old and will finish up my associate's degree in May in criminal justice. Was wondering if I should try and get a dispatch job or go into the military before I turn 21 and can apply for a law enforcement agency?
    My main goal is to be a patrol officer.
    any answers will be helpful.
    -lacrosse_fan

  2. #2
    PACMAN's Avatar
    PACMAN is offline Officer
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    598158
    depends what you want. The military will give you good life experience....that is the direction I took....


    =

  3. #3
    Prometheus's Avatar
    Prometheus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    136888
    Why not do both?

    "In the Army National Guard.... YOU CAN!"
    "Look, just give me some inner peace or I'll mop the floor with you!"

  4. #4
    jmur5074's Avatar
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,051
    Rep Power
    6232623
    Any experience is good.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

    "The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

    We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

  5. #5
    StanSwitek's Avatar
    StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    891
    Rep Power
    1143373
    Join the Marines.

  6. #6
    Iron Man's Avatar
    Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    130330
    Look into dispatch and corrections. Also look for cadet programs.
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.


    To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

  7. #7
    Retdetsgt's Avatar
    Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,944
    Rep Power
    7757749
    I'd recommend the military. You'll learn skills that will help you in LE. For one thing, it will expose you to a diverse group of people. You'll learn to get along with people you've never associated with before.

    Dispatch won't teach you to be a cop. You'll learn that in the academy.

    Besides, you can earn veterans points if you go full time military.
    Last edited by Retdetsgt; 03-30-06 at 09:14 PM.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

    "A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

  8. #8
    Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    16,064
    Rep Power
    0

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt

    Dispatch won't teach you to be a cop. You'll learn that in the academy.

    Want to know what being a dispatcher will teach you...

  9. #9
    Retdetsgt's Avatar
    Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,944
    Rep Power
    7757749
    Quote Originally Posted by LawEnforcementForums
    Want to know what being a dispatcher will teach you...
    How to consume vast amounts of food at one sitting!
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

    "A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

  10. #10
    Prometheus's Avatar
    Prometheus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    136888
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Switek
    Join the Marines.
    Sure, joining the Marines would be great if he were planning on making that his career. But let's face it, the majority of the Marines are trained as infantry. Your primary skill is basically Destroying Things.

    In the Guard you can pick your training BEFORE you go, serve your country, get money for furthering your education, and work a civillian job as well. And there is A LOT of traing that could help you as a cop. Combat Medic, Nuclear/Biological/Chemical Specialist, Ordinance Disposal, etc.

    Lots of perks for joining the Guard. The Marines don't need perks. They're the Marines.
    "Look, just give me some inner peace or I'll mop the floor with you!"

  11. #11
    Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    16,064
    Rep Power
    0

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    How to consume vast amounts of food at one sitting!

    We could ask MichiganStud, he is a full-time dispatcher...

  12. #12
    PACMAN's Avatar
    PACMAN is offline Officer
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    598158
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    Sure, joining the Marines would be great if he were planning on making that his career. But let's face it, the majority of the Marines are trained as infantry. Your primary skill is basically Destroying Things.

    In the Guard you can pick your training BEFORE you go, serve your country, get money for furthering your education, and work a civillian job as well. And there is A LOT of traing that could help you as a cop. Combat Medic, Nuclear/Biological/Chemical Specialist, Ordinance Disposal, etc.

    Lots of perks for joining the Guard. The Marines don't need perks. They're the Marines.
    yeah and when a war actually does happen you can be a pussy and sit on the tarmac and refuse to do your job...screaming "I did not sign up for this I onl;y wanted the college money".....sure kid join the gaurd, be a weekend warrior. When you get out with that DD214 they will hold you on an even playing field in the hiring process against anyone who has done full time active duty.....Not......The Gaurd will never teach you the discipline that the Corps will. When you walk across that Grinder off Paris Island you will know that you have accomplished something that no Gaurdsman can shake a stick at. And if you believe that bullshit that Prom just posted go see a recruiter....I think Prom may be stuck in the 60's....You can do anything you want in the Corps....By the way I was a 7051 Firefighter, left the Corps certified as a Nationally Registered Paramedic, and certified firefighter 1,2 and I hold a national certification in Aircraft Firfighting and Rescue. Some certs that Firfighters in small towns across America only dream about......ahh why am I rambling go join the gaurd.

    And what is wrong with destroying shit?

  13. #13
    Prometheus's Avatar
    Prometheus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    136888
    Quote Originally Posted by PACMAN
    yeah and when a war actually does happen you can be a pussy and sit on the tarmac and refuse to do your job...screaming "I did not sign up for this I onl;y wanted the college money".....sure kid join the gaurd, be a weekend warrior. When you get out with that DD214 they will hold you on an even playing field in the hiring process against anyone who has done full time active duty.....Not......The Gaurd will never teach you the discipline that the Corps will. When you walk across that Grinder off Paris Island you will know that you have accomplished something that no Gaurdsman can shake a stick at. And if you believe that bullshit that Prom just posted go see a recruiter....I think Prom may be stuck in the 60's....You can do anything you want in the Corps....By the way I was a 7051 Firefighter, left the Corps certified as a Nationally Registered Paramedic, and certified firefighter 1,2 and I hold a national certification in Aircraft Firfighting and Rescue. Some certs that Firfighters in small towns across America only dream about......ahh why am I rambling go join the gaurd.

    And what is wrong with destroying shit?
    A little sensitive, aren't we? PAC, I meant no disrespect for the USMC. They rock. I was just trying to help him find a route that would give him the best benefit down the road.

    BTW, the Marines turned me away at 19 because of my eyes. I'm 32 now and got a waiver for the Guard. I plan on showing the Marines what they should never have turned down.
    "Look, just give me some inner peace or I'll mop the floor with you!"

  14. #14
    PACMAN's Avatar
    PACMAN is offline Officer
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    598158
    Me? Sensitive?.....never,


  15. #15
    Prometheus's Avatar
    Prometheus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    136888
    Quote Originally Posted by PACMAN
    Me? Sensitive?.....never,
    Smile when you say that, Pilgrim.

    "Look, just give me some inner peace or I'll mop the floor with you!"

  16. #16
    PACMAN's Avatar
    PACMAN is offline Officer
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    598158

  17. #17
    cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    Somewhere in Florida
    Posts
    1,911
    Rep Power
    5562977
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    Your primary skill is basically Destroying Things.

    And that's a bad thing? I'd love that job.

  18. #18
    REGEX's Avatar
    REGEX is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    04-19-06
    Location
    Swanton, OH
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0
    Can you be an auxilary officer before you are 21.

  19. #19
    Beans's Avatar
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-01-06
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,319
    Rep Power
    5208310
    I hated college and left to go into the Army. I hated the Army more, but it gave me great life experience and helped me secure my current job without a college degree.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

  20. #20
    kdm0409's Avatar
    kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    Join Date
    01-02-06
    Location
    Mid TN
    Posts
    930
    Rep Power
    643225
    I was an officer for almost 8 months before I turned 21... The department I was hired at only had the age requirement of 18.. Some departments still have that age limit, but most are changing to 21 now.
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    ______________________________ __________
    In vino veritas!

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-07-07, 11:14 AM
  2. Answer a question with a question
    By carolina in forum Shenanigans
    Replies: 376
    Last Post: 06-13-07, 10:09 PM
  3. Question for the Mods
    By rob84 in forum General Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-07, 02:17 PM
  4. Question about packing in Colorado.
    By I_Pack in forum Ask-A-Cop
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-29-06, 04:29 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •