Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Frustrated...

Illiy is offline Corporal

Frustrated...

Ok, I am curious... Did anyone have anyone in their family that just did NOT want them to be in law enforcement? I feel like my mom is trying to sabotage me!

I am finding that every time I have a meeting, test or anything relating to do with getting hired my mom is constantly fighting with me right before I have to go upping my anxiety. I have my polygraph in a couple of weeks and am seriously considering shutting my phone off 48 hours in advance so she can't call me!

Any advice?
    FIGHT ON!

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    When my kind come to rule this planet your name shall be put on a list, a protected list, and no harm shall come to you.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Why is your mom against it?

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Maybe she is just a little scared of the thought of you being in law enforcement.
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Why is your mom against it?
    The danger factor.
    FIGHT ON!

When my kind come to rule this planet your name shall be put on a list, a protected list, and no harm shall come to you.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I know my mom doesn't like it but she's never come right out.

I think it would help letting your mom know that you have or will get excellent training to take care of yourself at work, and because your dedicated to the job you'll be focused and prepared to get the job done and come home at night. And also stress the fact that it's something you've wanted to do for however long, can't think or anything else you'd want to do, etc, etc.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    I know my mom doesn't like it but she's never come right out.

I think it would help letting your mom know that you have or will get excellent training to take care of yourself at work, and because your dedicated to the job you'll be focused and prepared to get the job done and come home at night. And also stress the fact that it's something you've wanted to do for however long, can't think or anything else you'd want to do, etc, etc.
    For about two years after I got started my mom did not like what I was doing. She would constantly send me info on other jobs. I drew the line when she sent me a federal probation officer job. I flat out told her that got into this because I hated a desk and/or a cubicle. I believe she thinks I worked to hard in school to be doing this kind of work. She has backed off because she sees I love what I do. I also make out a lot better financially now than I did when I started out so that helps. She also knows that I'm so damn hard headed that once I'm set in something I will not be moved.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

For about two years after I got started my mom did not like what I was doing. She would constantly send me info on other jobs. I drew the line when she sent me a federal probation officer job. I flat out told her that got into this because I hated a desk and/or a cubicle. I believe she thinks I worked to hard in school to be doing this kind of work. She has backed off because she sees I love what I do. I also make out a lot better financially now than I did when I started out so that helps. She also knows that I'm so damn hard headed that once I'm set in something I will not be moved.
    I hope after I (fingers crossed) get hired she will back off, but I really am at a loss on how to handle her fighting with me before appointments. The flip side is I manage her business so it isn't like I can keep from telling her when I have an appointment because I need to clear the time off with her.

I get the feeling that it is just a mom thing to worry about their kids...
    FIGHT ON!

pc830cop is offline Just another squirrel looking for a NUT
    Verified LEO
    She probably wants to see you safe from harm.

When I had a LOD shooting injury my then-fiance, mother, and then-future-mother-in-law wanted me to get out of the law enforcement field and have me return to shooting x- rays.

do whatever your hearts desire that makes YOU happy! BTW haven't seen you here in a while. welcome back. And do I get an invite to your academy graduation?

Searching for Evil and the Perfect donut (Love that book)

"It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you"
    -Batman Begins

There are gains for all our losses
    There are balms for all our pain
    But, when youth, the dream, departs
    It takes something from our hearts
    And it never comes again

"Captain, it is I Ensign Pulver. I just threw your damn palm tree overboard. Now, what's all this crap about no movie tonight?" -Ens Pulver in Mister Roberts

The man who will go where his colors go, without asking who will fight a phantom foe in the jungle and mountain range, without counting, and who will suffer and die in the midst of incredible hardship, without complaint, is still what he has always been, from Imperial Rome to sceptered Britain to democratic America. He is the stuff of which legions are made. ...His pride is in his colors and his regiment, his training hard and thorough and coldly realistic, to fit him for what he must face...and his obedience is to his orders. He has been called United State Marine.
    T.R. Fehrenbach, This Kind of War

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My stepfather told me that if I tried being a cop he would kick my ass until my nose bled. (he hated cops) I told him I didn't do nosebleeds. Tell your mom that being a cop beats being a crack head, turn your phone off and go take your test. She'll eventually get over it as did my wife.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

matt86 is offline Piggy
    Verified LEO
    When I came home and told my parents that I wanted to go into law enforcement they almost kicked me out of their house. They told me I was stupid and that I should do something where I could make money and support a family. They don't even dislike police, they are just naive to the world and I believe they were scared for me. It confused me for a while and put me in a horrible situation and I actually started to believe them for a while and considered forgetting about it. I'm very family oriented and the easy Monday-Friday 8-5 schedule seemed great!

As I moved up at my job at UPS however, I hated my job more and more. Yeah I could make 100k+ a year in management there in 5-6 years but I hated going to work every day and had no sense of accomplishment. I wanted to go out and defend those that are too weak or just not capable of defending themselves (like my parents). I continued working there while I paid for my school and got my associates degree in criminal justice and then as soon as I was old enough put in at a local PD I had been doing ride a longs with.

I've been there a little over two years now and have no regrets. Me and my parents now tell me they are proud of me and we get along fine. I still have some sore feelings towards them but realize they just didn't want me out in harms way. It's a decision you have to make for yourself and that nobody can make for you. I know it sounds cheesy, but all I can tell you is to follow your heart and everything will fall in place if it's meant to be.

Wow I typed alot... haha. If you need anything yell at me. I know where you're coming from.

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiy View Post
    I have my polygraph in a couple of weeks and am seriously considering shutting my phone off 48 hours in advance so she can't call me!

Any advice?
    I like your idea. Shut your phone off, call her afterwards.

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    My mom was against me getting on law enforcment when I first started but she wouldn't come right out and say anything. But she has mellowed and understands I love the job and couldn't do anything else. Now whenever we talk on the phone before I hang up she allways tells me to "be safe and have a good night".
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

K9brando is offline Fun In The Snow!
    Verified LEO
    My wife and I fought over it for a long time but she knew that I wouldn't be happy until I tried it. I tried it and the rest is history cause I've been a cop now for over ten years.
    I'm ready for spring!

ANI4ANI is offline Served my city 1972-1997
    Verified LEO
    Are you kidding? You have no idea why mom does not want her little daughter to enter an unsafe, demanding, under the microscope profession. She sees the news. Unless you were running away to work a crab fishing boat, or an ocean oil rig, which are many times more dangerous, you are selecting a serious potentially dangerous domestic occupation. Maybe when you are assaulted (because you will be) or injured somehow on the job, you'll understand why mom was and will always be concerned. She's mom, and mom's are protective. I always say, police work is not for the faint of heart and maybe she knows something about you, that you don't know about yourself.
    As today's police officers you are not unlike your counterparts of years past. You are an elite group of select members, a brotherhood of highly trained professionals, who are called upon to protect your community in a time of need. Guardians for safety. Being a police officer is not for the faint of heart. You must be honest, trustworthy and fearless in the face of evil. You are being watched everyday. Represent yourself, your department and the shield, for it should always be the embodiment of all that is good and justly. You are the thin blue line. Be proud, be tough and be safe.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, my Wife. But, after 35 yrs, you would think she has gotten use to it by now. But, not really. Every time we go out and she sees the blue lightsits
    "Why are they picking on him/her?" So she says, why don't you quit and retire - I says "you want to take another Cruise?" She says yes to (you name it) and I tell her I got to go to work tomorrow.

Yes, she is a good wife and never complained about what I did as long as I come home SAFE. She quit worrying when I was in Vietnam (x2), saying, "I'll worry when I get the knock on the door at midnight."

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Well, I'd tell you to lock her up in a closet for 48 hours prior to your polygraph, but.....that might cause an issue on your polygraph.

BE CONFIDENT. While in the profession you are going to have an uncountable amount of things that try to bring you down. Be confident in what you feel is right, in this case a career in law enforcement, and learn to ignore outside influences that try to alter your beliefs.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    The only one against it in my family was my brother and that was only because he wanted my slot. He was a hose dragging arson Inv.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
    The only one against it in my family was my brother and that was only because he wanted my slot. He was a hose dragging arson Inv.

I just read a book about him a few months ago.

Firelover?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Thread Information