Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: certifications?

ezrollin is offline Rookie

certifications?

Hi, its great to be here in such a wonderful friendly community!

What certifications would I need to become a regular city patrolman, if any?
    I'm trying to learn my 10 code but dont have much else available to learn.
    Any study guides out there? Or should I get a book?
    thanks alot

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Whatcha easy rolling?
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    How old are you?
    What state are you in?
    What kind of criminal history do you have?
    What kind of education do you have?
    What kind of driving record do you have?
    Are you a reserve/volunteer/explorer or have you done any of that in the past?

I'd recommend going to the introduction forum, and introduce yourself to the members here, and tell us a little bit about yourself.

Welcome to the site.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Each state has it's own requirements and procedures.

In Virginia, you generally (there are a very few "private" academies) have to be sponsored to an academy, successfully complete the basic academy course of instruction, then go through field training. You can see Virginia's training standards at the Department of Criminal Justice Services web site. The bare statutory minimums are: 18 years of age, a US citizen, high school diploma or GED, pass a background check, pass a physical exam, a driver's license (if you're going to drive), no plea of guilty or no contest to anything that would be a felony in Virginia, and no unexplained positive result on any pre-employment drug test, if given. Most agencies go quite a bit beyond the bare minimums... like usually 21 years old, and many require at least some college now, and will disqualify you for certain misdemeanors, too, and require a psych eval.

In other states, people generally attend a private academy on their own, then apply with the academy certification in hand. You then go through field training...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    You joined 8 months ago and are only asking this now? Get busy learnin if you are serious about it. Spend time around your local PD and continue to dig. Surf around here and get involved in topics.

After you get hired by a Department you will go through the needed certs. Just spend time now learning the profession and deciding if it is definitely what you want to do.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Wouldn't bother learning radio codes, those are different at different departments.

Go to your local PD, ask about ride alongs, and ask about minimum hiring standards. Requirements vary by state, but they'll tell you what you need.

matt86 is offline Piggy
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by berserk View Post
    Wouldn't bother learning radio codes, those are different at different departments.

Go to your local PD, ask about ride alongs, and ask about minimum hiring standards. Requirements vary by state, but they'll tell you what you need.
    This. Some departments also want you to go through their own academy, even if you're already certified to work in law enforcement in the state. Just make sure you do your research and do ride a longs if available.

Thread Information