Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Flashlight

Flashlight

As a reserve I am given the equipment that is pretty used and the stuff the full time officers don't want to use. (I completely understand why and am not saying it should be any other way).
    As such the flashlight I am issued is pretty much junk and I do not feel comfortable using it all night long. So what suggestions do you have for which flashlight I should go with?
    Thanks!

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    just bought a TX4, functions really well...
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    . . . or check out one of our site sponsors at:

http://www.baumshoe.com/servlet/the-Flashlights/Categories

They have over 200 choices of flashlights to pick from.

I've carried a Surefire 6R light for years - works great - good charge life (with the LED module installed) - compact and light on the belt.

My department recently issued us the Streamlight Stinger LED. I've been carrying it since we got them.

More light then the Surefire I own (love the "strobe" function), just a little bit larger, but still OK on your belt.

I keep the Surefire in the car as a backup.

Suggestion - get the best light you can afford. The really good ones aren't exactly cheap (they're in the $90-150 range - give or take a little). But how much is your life worth? Don't scrimp on your light.

I'm sure others will be along shortly with other suggestions.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've been using one of the new 511 lights I got from baumshoe. Recharges in 90 seconds. It's great. I also use a Pelican 7060 on my belt as a back up / day use light. It also works great. I also happened to get that from baumshoe.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Huge fan of anything Surefire. Currently carry the L7 on my duty belt.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

thanantos is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    We are issued lights like these (but ours are metal). Rock solid workhorse of a light:
    SL-20XP LED & HALOGEN Nylon Polymer Rechargeable Flashlight from Streamlight-Flashlights.com

A colleague of mine upgraded his to one like this:
    Streamlight Stinger HP Xenon Bulb Rechargeable Flashlights from Streamlight-Flashlights.com
    Smaller, same battery life and much brighter.
    The truth is you're the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men.
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.
    I'm tryin'...real hard...to be the shepherd.

DSAM-MI.org

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    Do you have a price range/limit? I would recommend the Streamlight Strion led, small (little longer than the SF 6P) rechargeable very good light.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I love my Pelican 7060 LED..............
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Quote Originally Posted by depusm12 View Post
    Do you have a price range/limit? I would recommend the Streamlight Strion led, small (little longer than the SF 6P) rechargeable very good light.
    No specific price limit. Obviously I would rather not spend a fortune but at the same time I don't want to cheap out. So if I need to spend more to get a high quality one then so be it.

Thank you everyone for your help thus far.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    As a reserve I am given the equipment that is pretty used and the stuff the full time officers don't want to use. (I completely understand why and am not saying it should be any other way).
    As such the flashlight I am issued is pretty much junk and I do not feel comfortable using it all night long. So what suggestions do you have for which flashlight I should go with?
    Thanks!
    Just out of curiosity, what flashlight are you issued and using right now?

There are a few factors which will determine which light will work best for you.
    1) As a reserve officer which shifts do you predominantly work? A better way to phrase that would be what hours or how many hours of darkness are you working, per day/week/etc?
    2) What is your primary function as a reserve? Traffic control, assist civilians, tactical entry with SWAT team, go on routine patrol with a full-time officer...?
    3) Where will you store the light while working but not using it? Are you a footpost and need it to go on your belt, will you stick it in the door of the car, etc?
    4) Where and how are you going to use the light? Are you conducting traffic stops, doing traffic control, room searches, looking for a suspect hiding 100 yards away etc? On a lit city street or in the woods?

I work straight nights. My patrol area varies from urban to rural with lit and unlit streets. The majority of my flashlight use is for conducting traffic stops and SFST's on the road. I also use it during calls for service for everything ranging from a domestic (why don't people turn the lights on until I ask?) to searching for a fugitive in the woods. I've used both an "under arm" primary light for getting people's info and a "back up" light on my belt. I was using a 3D MagLite for a while, but it just wasn't bright enough for me. At some point I ended up using my Stinger XT as my only light.

One thing you'll have to decide upon is rechargeable vs batteries. The thing I like about my Stinger XT is that it's rechargeable. I have a few lights that use batteries. They're certainly bright enough for my purposes, but I go through batteries like crazy. I can be issued standard size batteries (D cell for example), but the brighter more high speed lights use the 3 volt CR123A type of batteries. With a burn time of only 2-3 hours I go through expensive batteries every few shifts. The Stinger XT doesn't have a better burn time, and the rechargeable battery will drain down if not used. I won't BS you. There were a few times when the light started to die out on me during a traffic stop. One of the cons is that the rechargeables usually start fading for a short period of time and then go out completely. I still keep at least one spare flashlight in my car for such an occassion. The pro of a non-rechargeable light (in my experience) is that they usually fade for a longer period, giving you an opportunity to change the batteries. You can bring extras with you and not need a secondary light.

If Terminator was still here he'd tell you that size matters. The Stinger XT is about 8" long and it is at about the maximum I can comfortably carry on my belt. I would have gotten something smaller, but I'm already carrying a huge brick (old school radio) on my belt. The light can stick into chairs and restrict your movement if it's too big/long. The 3D MagLite on my belt made me feel like a security guard. It was bouncing around and slamming against my leg. Not the most comfortable and definitely not something I'd keep on my belt during the day. I know a few guys with Mini MagLite's on their belts as a backup light. I think it's pointless though. It's nice and small but clearly not bright enough to serve much of a purpose. If you're working days it must be bright enough to perform in lieu of a larger light. You may still end up doing searches in large dark buildings, etc.

As far as brightness goes you can read the lights' advertisements. Sometimes it's hard to compare brightness of different lights though. They'll show specs of lumens, candlepower, etc... and you can't really compare the numbers directly against each other. If you do some research you'll see the differences between the terms. If you look at beamshots you'll see how they truely perform at different distances. My co-workers all use different lights and all of the mainstream lights I've seen marketed toward police are sufficient for IDing people at night, trying to see through window tint, etc. Some are better than others obviously.

If you're using your flashlight more intermittently I would recommend getting something with 3 volt batteries. If you use it non-stop I'd say get a rechargeable. A lot of flashlights are mid-size and can be used well for police work. You'll probably want something that can go right on your duty belt. I know that is not a real "recommendation" but hopefully it will point you in the right direction to make your own choice.

I just received a 5.11 Tactical Light For Life in the mail today. This will be my new under-arm light. It's a bit large (compareable to a 3D MagLite) so I'll just throw it in the door of the car. Due to the 90-second recharge time I hope I'll have to rely less on my belt & backup lights. In the next few days I'll try to take some pictures of size and beamshots comparing the Light For Life to other flashlights like the MagLite, Stinger and Pelican 7060.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

vengeance05,
    While you didn't give me a specific recommendation you have helped me greatly. I have a better understanding of what I need to look for and how to choose the one that will suit me best.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    I use the Pelican 7060 as my all around light. I keep it in the front pocket of my duty bag on the front seat and grab it when I get out of the car. Great light and awesome customer service.

On my belt is the Streamlight Stinger LED. Zero problems in the year and a couple months since I replaced my normal run of the mill Stinger with it. Nice bright LED. Not the best for large areas (which is where the Pelican is awesome to have), but for building searches it's great.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    On my belt is the Streamlight Stinger LED. Zero problems in the year and a couple months since I replaced my normal run of the mill Stinger with it. Nice bright LED. Not the best for large areas (which is where the Pelican is awesome to have), but for building searches it's great.

I am also issued a Stinger DS (Dual Switch) LED. Great light I carry mine in a Bianchi nylon open baton pouch. I had my own Stinger DS LED before we were given the issued one so I carry it in my patrol bag as a extra or to loan to another officer should they need it. I also carry my Stinger quick charger (2 hour charger) with the cigarette lighter plug. I also carry a Surefire Z2 or C3 with rechargeable batteries on my belt as well.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

Hearmoretalkless is offline On the street and stirring up trouble...
    Verified LEO
    Just north of Seattle... on the Canadian side.
    Fenix ta20. Uses CR123 or the rechargeacle version, has 3 light levels and strobe. Love it.
    Never forget Cst Brian King - RCMP
    See Brian's ODMP page HERE

NavyDavy is offline Rookie
    I have a bunch of flashlights. I am a flashlightOholic.

The one I carry on my duty belt is the Streamlight Poly Tac LED-DEL.

It is light, bright and inexpensive. I think I paid $39.99 for it. It uses two CR123 batteries.

Verified LEO
    I too am a flashlight geek, and have many to choose from.

On my belt I have the Night Ops Gladius. Liked the holder for quick extraction. It also is LED which is all I use on and off duty now. It has an ergonomic fit for use with a firearm. The strobe selection is great for messing with drunks

For patrol functions I also use the Pelican 7060. Extremely bright, not too big, and rechargeable.

I also mix in some of my Surefires as well.

My personal opinion is that you can never have enough flashlights. Redundancy in our business is a must because you don't want to get caught out at night without light. I am known as the "flashlight guy" in my dept. and there have been times when guys didn't have a light, or their batteries died and they came to me to borrow a light. Keep one on your belt at all times, have a patrol one, maybe keep one in your duty bag....and have extra batteries. I prefer LED over incandescant because they are generally brighter, the batteries last longer, and they are more durable if dropped.

Hope this helps

petebroccolo is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    This is part of what I send out to other LEO / PO:

MLEES (Military, Law Enforcement and Emergency Services) Agency members should:
    - carry at least two flashlights with them (1+1 rule);
    - use rechargeable cells that use an external charger (so the flashlight is still useable while the cells charge);
    - carry a spare set of fresh cells in non-metallic cell carriers (so they do not short-circuit);
    - carry their charger and DC cord, or AC cord and DC converter, with them (to use while away from the office);
    - carry the smallest, lightest, brightest flashlight, with the features and switch type they prefer and can afford.

I recommend using the following:
    - cells carriers (To carry in a magazine / knife pouch on a duty / equipment belt, a duty bag or a pocket):
    - - 16340 / 18500 / 18650 / AA / CR123A / RCR123A sized plastic cases;
    - - small plastic bag;
    - - water heater overflow tubing (20 mm od x 17 mm id plastic, 68 / 102 / 136 mm long for 2 / 3 / 4 CR123A or RCR123A cells) with metal tube chair leg tips (20 mm id plastic) as end caps;
    - flashlights:
    - - Black Bear Flashlights: if you like incandescent light source, rechargeability, and Mag-Lite form factor;
    - - Fenix TK11 (Use with 1 x 18650 3.7 v Li-ion rechargeable cells and Ultrafire wf-139 charger);
    - - Fenix TK30 (Use with 2 x 18650 3.7 v Li-ion rechargeable cells and Ultrafire wf-139 charger);
    - - JETBeam M1X (Use with 3 x CR123A Li primary cells or 2 x 18500 3.7 v Li-ion rechargeable cells and Ultrafire wf-139 charger, or with extender and 4 x CR123A Li primary cells or 2 x 18650 3.7 v Li-ion rechargeable cells and Ultrafire wf-139 charger);
    - - Luma Power MVP Turbo Force Edition;
    - - Luma Power MVP XR-E x3;
    - - Luma Power MVR Sidekick;
    - - Olight M20 (Use with 1 x 18650 3.7 v Li-ion rechargeable cells and Ultrafire wf-139 charger);
    - - Olight M30 (Use with 2 x 18650 3.7 v Li-ion rechargeable cells and Ultrafire wf-139 charger);
    - - Pelican 7060 (Contact sales@pelican.ca for LEO / PO discount);
    - - Streamlight Strion LED;
    - modifications to the following flashlights:
    - - Mag-Lite 3 C with MagLED 3 C or D LED bulb to replace the incandescent bulb;
    - - Mag-Lite 3 D with:
    - - MagLED 3 C or D LED bulb to replace the incandescent bulb; or
    - - TerraLux TLE-300M 3 LED module, Mag-Lite MagCharger-sized NiMH rechargeable pack and Empire FBC-NCD-4 NiMH charger to replace the bulb, primary cells and reflector;
    - - Mag-Lite 4 D with Terra-Lux TLE-300M to replace the bulb and reflector;
    - - Streamlight Stinger with TerraLux TLE-ST LED module to replace the bezel, bulb and head;
    - power sources (Check that their diameter and length fit in, and provide the correct voltage for, your flashlight):
    - - 1 or 2 x 18650 3.7 v Li-ion rechargeable cells and Ultrafire wf-139 charger to replace 2 or 4 RCR123A 3 v Li-ion rechargeable cells;
    - - 2 x 18500 3.7 v Li-ion rechargeable cells and Ultrafire wf-139 charger to replace 3 RCR123A 3 v Li-ion rechargeable cells;
    - - RCR123A 3 v Li-ion rechargeable cells and Tenergy RCR-Charger-3 V charger to replace CR123A 3 v Li primary cells;
    - retailers:
    - - www.batteryjunction.com;
    - - www.j2ledflashlights.com;
    - - PSS Enterprises - PaulsFinest.com

Some here already know this, but I am afraid of the dark!

My illumination tools inventory is:

Dorcy 41-1060
    2 D LED traffic wands

Kel-Lite 4 D small head
    Body: tail shortened 120 mm and re-threaded for original tail-cap
    Lens: 44 mm d acrylic watch crystal
    Light source: Pelican 3854 low-output bulb (ROP LO)
    Power source: 6 AA 1.2 v 2500 mah NiMH rechargeable cells and 2 AA dummy cells in 8AA-to-2D adaptor.
    Reflector: Bright Star Koehler 496 Director-Lite 3 D, filed to fit

Mag-Lite 2 D
    Lens: Borofloat
    Light source: TerraLux TLE-300M LED module
    Power source: 6 AA 1.5 v alkaline primary cells or 1.2 v NiMH rechargeable cells in a 6AA-to-2D adaptor

Mag-Lite 2 D
    Lens: Borofloat
    Light source: Pelican 3854 high-output bulb (ROP HI)
    Power source: 6 AA 1.5 v alkaline primary cells or 1.2 v NiMH rechargeable cells in a 6AA-to-2D adaptor
    Reflector: MOP cammed. I added a chromed washer with a hole just big enough to fit over the bulb and the outside diameter just small enough to fit into the barrel of the cam stem. I then tightened the head down as far as it would go; focus can not be adjusted

Noma PS3
    1 x 9 v / 4 C or D / 8 AA or AAA NiCd or NiMH rechargeable cells charger with AC cord. Each bay can fit either 1 C or D, or 2 AA or AAA, cells. Independent circuits for each C or D, but not for each AA or AAA

Pila GL3
    Holster: Northern Plains Leather FH-7W (also fits in ASP Series 26 black thermoplastic split-side scabbard)
    Light source: Wolf-Eyes 9 v incandescent lamp assembly
    Power source: 2 x 18500 1400 mah 3.7 v Li-ion rechargeable cells or 3 x 123A 3 v li primary cells or 3 RCR123A 3 v li-ion rechargeable cells
    Switch: Wolf-Eyes 9T Raider forward clicky tactical switch

Powerex MH-C800S
    8-bay AA / AAA NiCd / NiMH charger with AC cord. Independent circuits. Conditioning, Fast and Slow charging modes

Ultrafire wf-139
    2-bay 16340 / 17500 / 18500 / 17670 / 18650 3.7 v Li-ion rechargeable cells charger with AC cord and brass charger spacers. Same, or different, sized cells can be charged at the same time

Wolf-Eyes M90 Rattlesnake
    Holster: LED Logic Striker VG nylon web holster with bottom cut open (also fits in ASP Series 26 black thermoplastic split-side scabbard)
    Light source: Lumens Factory D36 3 stage (5%, 30% & 100% - 270 lu) LED module
    Power source: 4 x 123A 3 v Li primary cells or 2 x 18650 2200 (or higher) mah 3.7 v Li-ion rechargeable cells
    Switch: Wolf-Eyes M90 forward clicky tactical switch

Thread Information