Welcome to the APBWeb.
    213th is offline Solipsist

Question about court proceedings

Recently in Wisconsin, four people were killed and police had a suspect. That suspect was found yesterday or this morning, dead due to gsw to the head. My question is, since he is dead, how do they close the case on the four murders? I'm guessing there won't be a trial, since he is dead, but how do they find him guilty so to speak?
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    They finish their investigation that proves it was the dead suspect who committed the murders. There's no need for a trail because there's no further justice to be dispensed. The families of the victims could go after his estate in civil court for monetary damages, but he probably isn't worth enough for it to be worthwhile.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    Recently in Wisconsin, four people were killed and police had a suspect. That suspect was found yesterday or this morning, dead due to gsw to the head. My question is, since he is dead, how do they close the case on the four murders? I'm guessing there won't be a trial, since he is dead, but how do they find him guilty so to speak?
    Closed Exceptionally, Death of Offender
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Kimble is offline Fact: sharks love cheeseburgers
    Verified LEO
    You have to be alive to be found guilty. If the suspect dies, the law doesn't require the corpse to be brought in and tried. That's what hell is for.
    "I'm the only one in this room, that I know of, professional enough carry this Glock 40." -Lee Paige, DEA (just before shooting himself in the leg)

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed" Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    In my dept the detectives will complete their investigation and write up the report showing the evidence against the deceased offender. The case is listed as being closed by investigation/exceptional clearance. Basically the report shows there was at least probable cause (if not damning proof) that the suspect committed the offense, with no open leads that it may have been someone else. Various records (evidence, statements, etc) may be kept in accordance with policy and may still be subpoenaed in the event of a civil suit.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

213th is offline Solipsist
    Cool! Thanks
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimble View Post
    You have to be alive to be found guilty. If the suspect dies, the law doesn't require the corpse to be brought in and tried. That's what hell is for.
    what he said...
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Over here there will still be a formal inquest even if the offender is dead. So the investigation still has to be completed as if he were going to trial.
    The evidence is heard and a cause of death determined i.e unlawfully killed(For the victims).
    The offender will also have an inquest when his cause of death will be determinedi.e. suicide.
    Although they won't be allowed to call it "thank god he did everyone a favour by offing himself"
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    Over here there will still be a formal inquest even if the offender is dead. So the investigation still has to be completed as if he were going to trial.
    The evidence is heard and a cause of death determined i.e unlawfully killed(For the victims).
    The offender will also have an inquest when his cause of death will be determinedi.e. suicide.
    Although they won't be allowed to call it "thank god he did everyone a favour by offing himself"
    Weird. So he really doesn't save the taxpayers all that much money by putting himself out of everyone else's misery, eh?

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Closed Exceptionally, Death of Offender
    +1

IBR considers it exceptional clearance.

From the FBI NIBRS program:

In order for law enforcement to clear an offense by exceptional means, each of the following four conditions must be met: 1. The investigation must have clearly established the identity of at least one offender.
    2. Sufficient probable cause must have been developed to support the arrest, charging, and prosecution of the offender.
    3. The exact location of the offender must be known so that an arrest could be made.
    4. There must be a reason outside the control of law enforcement which prevents the arrest.

In general, this means the death of the offender, victim refused to assist, extradition declined, or prosecution declined.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by berserk View Post
    Weird. So he really doesn't save the taxpayers all that much money by putting himself out of everyone else's misery, eh?
    Oh I don't know, 20yrs pf prison, well 2 or 3 maybe!

Been alot of uproar over the fact that the suicide bombers from London will have their inquests held at the same time as the victims. It's just the way the system is set up, I think that case may force a change.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Thread Information