Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Duty Boots

Drico is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Question Duty Boots

Looking for some good user feedback from LEO on duty boots, my department mandates that boots must be all leather so some of these Bates for instance with the Nylon won't fly. I had my eye on the Danners but for $250 I'm looking for a cheaper alternative without sacrificing quality too much.

Rocky all Leather paratrooper looks great and they seem to be pretty popular with the Patrolmen in my department, any opinions or suggestions especially after prolonged use?

Dave

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I can't comment on most boots because I wear special made boots. I would refer you to Baumshoe for an expert opinion and great prices.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    If you spend the $250 on Danners, you will be glad you did. You don't have to replace them every year llike cheaper boots, plus the are the most comfortable boots you can get. I used to spend $120 a year on a new pair of crappy boots...then 3 years ago I bought a pair of Danner Acadias, and I'm still wearing them today with no end in sight. Do the math...you actually save money that way!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I like the Rocky paratroopers and have been through several pairs. However, if you have to stand in them for a long period of time you will hate life. The Danners are worth every single penny. I just bought a pair of the Fort Lewis line with 200 grams of insulation. Best boots I have ever worn. Customer service at Danner is second only to Baumshoe. I have had to stand in these for hours at a time already and I have found that they are completely waterproof. Granted the Fort Lewis line is more expensive than what you quoted. You might want to look at the Acadia line of boots.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Talk to the people you work with; they can tell you what works both with the brass and while actually working.

You may want to look at Sears; over the years, I've bought several pairs of boots from them and been more than satisfied -- and the prices are often much lower. (In fact, the pair I bought for the academy is actually still servicable after 10 years. I use 'em at home for heavy snow.) They're not "law enforcement boots", but the only person who'll know is you.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    I would love to buy a pair of Danners - but can't quite swing them yet... so for the mean time I wear Thorogoods - and I love them

all leather and the sole will need replacing after a bit, but they've lasted over a year with the only maintenance being some polish

not bad for about half the cost of the Danners
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Twan007 View Post
    I would love to buy a pair of Danners - but can't quite swing them yet... so for the mean time I wear Thorogoods - and I love them

all leather and the sole will need replacing after a bit, but they've lasted over a year with the only maintenance being some polish

not bad for about half the cost of the Danners

Throrogoods were going to be my second brand to try. This is what sold me on the Danners:

Boot Recrafting:
    Boot Recrafting - Danner

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I need to ship my Danner's back for recrafting. They are no longer waterproof. I've had them nearly 10 years and love them. They are worth every penny. Keep your old crappy boots on a little longer and save up for them. They are worth it.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Do they have to be boots?

I wear a pair of Skechers work shoes that are black leather that are fantastic. Lightweight, durable, with a good non slip sole.

It similar to this one, but mine has a steel toe.
    SKECHERS Official Shoe Store | Men's Work and Industrial Shoes | Work: Felix - Keystone
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Do they have to be boots?
    I honestly can't think of a good reason not to wear big boots at work. Between standing in gasoline and oil, blood and guts, dog and human shit in people's houses, I can't imagine not having high boots that are easy to hose down. Not to mention running through creeks and standing in deep snow. Also, for riot control issues, tall leather boots are the most appropriate when bottles of urine and feces, and possibly molotov cocktails are thrown.

I see the "comfort" issue with shoes the same as with a vest. Boots are a more appropriate tool and relatively comfortable ones are available.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

thanantos is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Others will undoubtedly disagree, but I've not been impressed with Danner so far. I bought a pair of Ft. Lewis boots 5 years ago and wore the soles flat in a year. No local companies will resole them, and it costs (i believe) $70 plus shipping back to Danner to get them resoled.

My wife bought a pair of Danner Striker's (non-resoleable) and after about a year they literally fell apart.

Best boots I've ever bought were Rocky Eliminator's. In fact I bought the Danner's to replace them before they wore completely out (after about 3 years) so I could use them for hunting, etc. off duty. Been about 8 years now since I first bought them and they are still going strong.

Seems weird, but not a bad choice is a $70 pair of Hi-Tec boots. You have to replace them every year like sneakers, but they're cheap.

I bought a pair of 511 boots (sneaker style boots like the Hi-Tec's) to replace the Danners and they're not bad, but don't breathe very well. Don't wanna be around my feet after a whole shift in them
    The truth is you're the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men.
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.
    I'm tryin'...real hard...to be the shepherd.

DSAM-MI.org

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by thanantos View Post
    Others will undoubtedly disagree, but I've not been impressed with Danner so far. I bought a pair of Ft. Lewis boots 5 years ago and wore the soles flat in a year. No local companies will resole them, and it costs (i believe) $70 plus shipping back to Danner to get them resoled.
    The Vibram soles on them do wear out quickly but they are a simple matter of pulling off and gluing a new set on. I can't believe you don't have a real shoe store that can do that anywhere near you. We have at least 2 and we're pretty backwards here.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I honestly can't think of a good reason not to wear big boots at work. Between standing in gasoline and oil, blood and guts, dog and human shit in people's houses, I can't imagine not having high boots that are easy to hose down. Not to mention running through creeks and standing in deep snow. Also, for riot control issues, tall leather boots are the most appropriate when bottles of urine and feces, and possibly molotov cocktails are thrown.

I see the "comfort" issue with shoes the same as with a vest. Boots are a more appropriate tool and relatively comfortable ones are available.

All that AND ankle support for the more hefty of us.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    All that AND ankle support for the more hefty of us.

The Thorogoods and Danners are top notch for this. I will blow out a knee before I turn my ankles over in these Fort Lewis boots (10 inch boots). If you read my rubber band ankles post in the Last Night's Shift you will know I have very weak ankles due to past injuries from work and football.

Rubber band ankles post:
    http://officerresource.com/forums/f2...-ankles-36741/

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I bought some Georgia Giant work boots like this that I wore while reserving for about $80. They're fairly lightweight and comfortable, but have enough support to negotiate holes and rocks in the fields around here:

6" Georgia Giant Safety Toe Lightweight Boot Style: G6370: Georgia Boot Store=

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    I swear by the 5.11 atac storm boots. Police Equipment :: Public Safety Equipment :: Police Uniforms :: 5.11 Tactical :: Duty Gear :: Baumshoe Law Enforcement Supply ::5.11 ATAC Storm Boots
    I have 4 pair. One are for court only, one are for on duty, one for when I'm hiking in the woods, and one for cutting grass.

I got 2 years out of my current pair. This year I will replace them with my court boots and purchase a new pair for court. They are very comfortable. I actually wear ankle socks with these boots and they require almost no break in.
    For the price I think these are the best boot on the market.

CountyWolf is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Guess it is my military background, but I prefer good old combat boots. I have tried the more expensive Danner, Rocky, etc... and they all wore out in roughly a year... combat boots seem to last me much longer.
    The Police Dog Poem

My eyes are your eyes, to watch and protect you and yours.
    My ears are your ears, to hear and detect evil minds in the dark.
    My nose is your nose, to scent the invader of your domain.
    And so you may live, my life is also yours.
    Author Unknown

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Our department spent years trying boots....they finally decided to issue the Danner Fort Lewis. Now all of our deputies get a pair and a great deal for both the deputy and the department it is.

Keep the orthotics that come with them too....helps if you have any kind of foot problem.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    I was never a big lover of Bates boots until I bought my Durashocks. They have been great boots considering I normally can not get more than a year from a pair of boots. Good buy in my eyes. And go with Gore tex/ waterproof no matter what you get.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    I can't comment on most boots because I wear special made boots.
    dude, i just caught this...

lew, they're your special boots?

that's awesome - do they make you taller?
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information