Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Do members of the public behave differently toward LEOs on Christmas?

Do members of the public behave differently toward LEOs on Christmas? Do they wish you a merry Christmas, feel sorry for doing things that make you work on Christmas, and try to be more polite, friendly, and compliant to make things easier for you? Or are they even ruder and more resistant than usual?

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Not the people I dealt with. Some people would wish you a Merry Chriistmas , usually with drunken breath. To many it was just another day in their lives. My interaction with the average public was usually limited because I wasn't as proactive on Christmas as other days. I didn't work traffic & etc. Calls for service were just as many and sometimes more with the same types of calls as any other day. Sometimes I would make a point to wish people a Merry Christmas at a domestic dispute hoping that people would realize how silly they looked and sounded. It hardly ever worked. Tragic incidents were always that much more tragic. In short Jenna , I never heard Christmas carols. Usually just sirens and lots of profanity.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The holidays are like alcohol. When people indulge in either their mood is multiplied by 10. If the person is a decent happy go lucky person you would enjoy their holiday spirit or drinking with them. In other words, a fun person to associate yourself with. If the person is an asshole, they are ten times the asshole when drinking or when dealing with the hustle and bustle of the holidays. Might I suggest moving this to the Ask-A-Cop section, as I think the public would be well served to see the replies.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Might I suggest moving this to the Ask-A-Cop section, as I think the public would be well served to see the replies.
    That would be fine with me as long as it's fine with everyone who posts in this thread while it's in the SR. Captain America, is that OK with you?

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    That would be fine with me as long as it's fine with everyone who posts in this thread while it's in the SR. Captain America, is that OK with you?
    Sure.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Depends, I had happy drunks that night and I had pissed off drunks... both went to jail
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Checkman is offline What's the nearest cross street?
    Verified LEO
    Nope no different. The assholes were still assholes and the decent people were still decent. Also many of the decent folks expressed regret that I was having to work. That's about it.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Things are back to normal. I'm pretty sure I got cussed out in Chinese last night at the asshole lay on the ground after being "helped" down
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    No.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Maybe it's because of our blizzard, but lots of John Qs helped me out on Christmas, whether it was pushing my car out or some other guy's. And they all said they couldn't let me do all the work by myself on Christmas. So take that for whatever it's worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

CountyWolf is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    No, no differently that I can tell. They hate me the same as every other day.... until they need me.
    The Police Dog Poem

My eyes are your eyes, to watch and protect you and yours.
    My ears are your ears, to hear and detect evil minds in the dark.
    My nose is your nose, to scent the invader of your domain.
    And so you may live, my life is also yours.
    Author Unknown

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Been a few years since I worked the street on Christmas so I can't really answer that.....but I have been paying close attention since the war on cops began last month here in the Pacific Northwest.

I am pleased and suprised to see the unprecedented outpouring of caring and support in this region for our Law Enforcement family. The fund for the children of the Lakewood Four is already well over a half a million dollars and fundraisers for all the officers/deputies are so well attended that you can't get in the door. Even the vampires of the media have been seen to tear up when talking about what we do for our society.

As I said....unprecedented....but appreciated.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Notorious is offline Covering your 6 since 1994
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I get a few of the "Damn, they make you work today?" and a few more "Thanks" than usual. One kid ran out to the front lawn to give me a full salute at attention as I drove by. Everyone else acted pretty normally, and I got as many dirty looks rolling down the street as I usually do in da hood.
    Nothing clever here except my zombie defense gun... now where is that darn flashlight...

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
    Also many of the decent folks expressed regret that I was having to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    I get a few of the "Damn, they make you work today?" and a few more "Thanks" than usual. One kid ran out to the front lawn to give me a full salute at attention as I drove by.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Maybe it's because of our blizzard, but lots of John Qs helped me out on Christmas, whether it was pushing my car out or some other guy's. And they all said they couldn't let me do all the work by myself on Christmas. So take that for whatever it's worth.
    I'm glad at least some do express appreciation for you having to work while others are celebrating with their families.

Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    Been a few years since I worked the street on Christmas so I can't really answer that.....but I have been paying close attention since the war on cops began last month here in the Pacific Northwest.

I am pleased and suprised to see the unprecedented outpouring of caring and support in this region for our Law Enforcement family. The fund for the children of the Lakewood Four is already well over a half a million dollars and fundraisers for all the officers/deputies are so well attended that you can't get in the door. Even the vampires of the media have been seen to tear up when talking about what we do for our society.

As I said....unprecedented....but appreciated.

Car 4
    It's good that they realize how much LEOs do for society and what sacrifices and risks are involved, though it's unfortunate that it takes such tragedies to make them realize it.

Thank you all!

Notorious is offline Covering your 6 since 1994
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    You're welcomed, Jenna... now if you can spread the word to the rest of the gangbangers that still flip me off as I drive by... I would greatly appreciate it.
    Nothing clever here except my zombie defense gun... now where is that darn flashlight...

Bama512 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I had someone insist to buy my lunch the day after Christmas. I thought that was nice. It was an older couple.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    They get more whiney!

"But it's Christmas, can't you let me off!"
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    They get more whiney!

"But it's Christmas, can't you let me off!"
    THAT is so true! and when they get charged they blame you for ruining their Christmas! hey ho!
    Never approach a bull by the front, a horse from behind, or an idiot from any direction.

Thread Information