Welcome to the APBWeb.

Question to all the officers out there

I am a senior Criminal Justice student from Nebraska embarking on my senior thesis for my Bachelor's in CJus. I am currently brainstorming ideas for a topic for my senior project. The topic has to be a specific policy, problem or practical application of a problem pertinent to the criminal justice field. Right now I have two ideas: liability policies (a officer helped come up with that one) and whether juvenile justice should be punitive focused or rehabilitative focused. I was just putting this out there in hopes that some LEOs could help with first hand experiences and topics they would research and right a paper on if given the chance.

Thanks for all that you do in the line of duty that no one ever thinks about!!!

Kimble is offline Fact: sharks love cheeseburgers
    Verified LEO
    Write about something that interests you, makes it a whole lot more tolerable when doing a research paper (so long as it fits the requirements your professor gave). For example, for my thesis in grad school, I picked counterfeiting because, at that time, I was interested in working for the Secret Service (who investigate counterfeiting crimes). I gave a history of counterfeiting, methods of how it's done, and criminological theories that may explain why people do it (my professors really liked that part). It just makes research papers more enjoyable (if you can really enjoy such a thing) if it's a topic YOU are interested in.
    "I'm the only one in this room, that I know of, professional enough carry this Glock 40." -Lee Paige, DEA (just before shooting himself in the leg)

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed" Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    How is "policy, problem, or practical application of a problem" being defined by your project advisor? I would suggest that liability policies is probably too big a topic; narrow that focus to a particular area, like pursuits or use-of-force.

For problems, look around your community; what's going on? Do you have a gang presence? How much, what's being done about it, what's been done elsewhere? How about traffic safety? Are bicyclists getting waffled? Why? What can be done about it?

Want to really get some surprises? What about information sharing across agencies, especially agencies at different levels (local, state, or federal)? Are the feds telling the locals what they should be? Are the locals passing along what they should? Does the county PD tell the towns what's going on just outside their border? Or even just plain communication: Can agencies talk to each other via radio? Is it a good system... or a nightmare that's seldom used?

You could look into recruit selection and qualification; how's it done? Is it being successful -- or are people getting through that shouldn't? Why does a guy who passed the background go dirty?

Lots of things to look into...

And you get some praise for asking about this in January instead of April... Though I kind of have to wonder if you maybe shouldn't have done so back September if it's a Senior year project...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Thank you for advice

Thanks for your advice...on the liability policies I was thinking along the lines of use-of-force. Communication is another really good idea. My class just started but I think once I figure out what I want to do this project on the research and writing will flow. Thanks again

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Stick with communication. There is much room for improvement in policy there. Good luck.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimble View Post
    Write about something that interests you, makes it a whole lot more tolerable when doing a research paper (so long as it fits the requirements your professor gave). For example, for my thesis in grad school, I picked counterfeiting because, at that time, I was interested in working for the Secret Service (who investigate counterfeiting crimes). I gave a history of counterfeiting, methods of how it's done, and criminological theories that may explain why people do it (my professors really liked that part). It just makes research papers more enjoyable (if you can really enjoy such a thing) if it's a topic YOU are interested in.
    Hijacking, but I didn't know about your interest in counterfeiting. By the time I left my internship with the Secret Service I was sorting all the counterfeit that came into the Birmingham office.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

Question to all the officers out there

Like others have said, pick something that lights a fire in you. I would pick fugitives because that is something that interests me, but what matters is what interests you. Good luck!

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    why dont you look into whether plea bargaining should be abolished? thats a practical issue with strong arguments on both sides.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Like tapout said, covering plea bargains would be good.

OR the clogged up court system due to continuances and legal red tape or the effectiveness of punishments and recidivism.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by cjusstudent:wood View Post
    Thanks for your advice...on the liability policies I was thinking along the lines of use-of-force. Communication is another really good idea. My class just started but I think once I figure out what I want to do this project on the research and writing will flow. Thanks again

If you do choose communication you should check out this guys book and theory, not sure if he is doing any more lecturing, he used to go to different PD to promote his theory and book, he is a character:

Verbal Judo | Dr. George Thompson | Verbal Self Defense | Art of Communication

Other suggested topics sound good too, you can beat the idea of plea bargaining to death, juvie or even adult criminal rehabilitation another topic, even capital punishment, crime deterrent or not. Good luck

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

Bama512 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Wow, there are so many possibilities...here are a few just off the top of my head:

1. Effectiveness of probation and other alternative sentencing methods
    2. Managing sex offenders once they have been released (lots of work tossed back on law enforcement AFTER the conviction)
    3. Special problems posed on law enforcement by illegals (no documentation, driving without a license or insurance, language barriers, unreported crime, etc.)
    4. Pursuit Policies....I actually worked in a department that had a policy that you could be held responsible for anything bad that happened as a result of pursuing and also as a result of NOT pursuing - all without the benefit of hindsight and with no additional pursuit training beyond the academy.
    5. Burnout in police work (stresses within the agency vs the street), suicide, and divorce rates.
    6. Recruitment problems, pay, and lowering of standards for applicants in some departments
    7. The debate over use of force policy concerning Tasers
    8. School resource officer programs - are there any measureable effects on crime/violence in schools that have these officers in place? Is this a good policy/program? Is is achieving results? You could also substitute Dare or similar outreach programs.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Thank you to all the LEO's for their input and advice this is. I am currently going to research the topic of juvenile sex offenders and whether they should have to register. Taking this topic into the areas of labeling theory, self-fulfilling prophecy, and whether juveniles can be rehabilitated or not.

Any other information about this topic is greatly appreciated and I thank you for everything y'all do daily!!

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by cjusstudent:wood View Post
    Thank you to all the LEO's for their input and advice this is. I am currently going to research the topic of juvenile sex offenders and whether they should have to register. Taking this topic into the areas of labeling theory, self-fulfilling prophecy, and whether juveniles can be rehabilitated or not.

Any other information about this topic is greatly appreciated and I thank you for everything y'all do daily!!
    You might look into the Serious and Habitual Offender Community Action Program (SHOCAP) in Virginia and other states. Here's a link to start with in Virginia.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Thread Information